Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming AMD G1 Gaming Motherboard handle AMD FX 8320 @ 4.4Ghz ?

My PC recently started freezing randomly and the issue was found to be with the Motherboard. Since my Pc is over 3 yrs old the warranty is over so I am planning on purchasing a new motherboard but the 990FX boards are really expensive right now for some reason and I found Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming AMD G1 Gaming Motherboard to be in my budget. On my failed 990FX board I used to run my FX 8320 @ 4.4Ghz with voltage around 1.450v. I wanted to know whether I can do the same with this Gigabyte board.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, this board is just not good-enough in regards of its VRM power delivery system. If your 990FX Killer failed then you need to either tune down your OC or buy an appropriate board.

 

What are your other options? There are capable boards with a 970 chipset but they're rare and usually cost similarly to 990FX boards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3800MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

No, this board is just not good-enough in regards of its VRM power delivery system. If your 990FX Killer failed then you need to either tune down your OC or buy an appropriate board.

 

What are your other options? There are capable boards with a 970 chipset but they're rare and usually cost similarly to 990FX boards.

The other option is Gigabyte 990FX Gaming G1 at around 250$. The 970 board in question is around 150$. Prices are quite high here in India. These are the cheapest boards with most features here. There is also Gigabyte 990X for around 20$ cheaper than 990FX.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw that 990FX killer survived for quite long. It ran the CPU at 4.2Ghz for around 2.5 years and the last 1 year with the CPU at 4.4Ghz when I upgraded to 1070.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rohit Jackdaw said:

The other option is Gigabyte 990FX Gaming G1 at around 250$. The 970 board in question is around 150$. Prices are quite high here in India. These are the cheapest boards with most features here. There is also Gigabyte 990X for around 20$ cheaper than 990FX.

The 990FX Gaming is MUCH better, it should suffice. Have you tried looking for used ASUS 990FX Sabertooth or 990FX Crosshair V Formula? Those are top-end AM3+ boards.

Just now, Rohit Jackdaw said:

Btw that 990FX killer survived for quite long. It ran the CPU at 4.2Ghz for around 2.5 years and the last 1 year with the CPU at 4.4Ghz when I upgraded to 1070.

Maybe it's not worth it to invest in AM3+ then? Your CPU will bottleneck the 1070 regardless of your overclock, maybe you should start considering a platform upgrade? Perhaps Ryzen R5 1600 would be in your budget?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3800MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, AM4 mobos VRM are my thing, but if you really want i can do some research for ya

 

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3(P) has 8+2 phase design. Should be enough.

It's the cheapest board with 8+2 phase design, but he already had an ASRock 990FX Killer which also features 8+2 and is better in pretty much everything, I had this exact board with my FX-8350 @4,5GHz but my CPU ran at 1.35V under that clock speed so it worked flawlessly, his runs at 1.45V at 4,4GHz so the UD3P is probably not good-enough for constant use with that voltage.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3800MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's the cheapest board with 8+2 phase design, but he already had an ASRock 990FX Killer which also features 8+2 and is better in pretty much everything, I had this exact board with my FX-8350 @4,5GHz but my CPU ran at 1.35mV under that clock speed so it worked flawlessly, his runs at 1.45mV at 4,4GHz so the UD3P is probably not good-enough for constant use with that voltage.

1.35 mV?

Wut?

Thats like 0.00135V

 

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

1.35 mV?

Wut?

Thats like 0.00135V

I meant V ;-; I'm tired at work, sorry :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3800MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's the cheapest board with 8+2 phase design, but he already had an ASRock 990FX Killer which also features 8+2 and is better in pretty much everything, I had this exact board with my FX-8350 @4,5GHz but my CPU ran at 1.35mV under that clock speed so it worked flawlessly, his runs at 1.45mV at 4,4GHz so the UD3P is probably not good-enough for constant use with that voltage.

He may not have had much luck with the silicon lottery. it could be a problem with LLC, but I doubt it: I run a 9370 on the ASRock 970 Performance, 4.5GHz at ~1.35v as well. The "~" part comes because the 970 Performance has no LLC whatsoever, so I set 1.3875v in the BIOS with a 50mV offset, and that translates into a vcore under load that is mostly around 1.35 (but boy, does it bounce up and down, 1.33v-1.36v, sometimes even 1.31...).

Sustaining 1.45v is more challenging, but I wonder if that's was the effective vcore under load (I believe the 990FX Killer had LLC, though, but I'm not sure).

OP, whatever you get, blow some air on the VRM area, it can make a drastic difference in VRM temps as you push the overclock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

He may not have had much luck with the silicon lottery. it could be a problem with LLC, but I doubt it: I run a 9370 on the ASRock 970 Performance, 4.5GHz at ~1.35v as well. The "~" part comes because the 970 Performance has no LLC whatsoever, so I set 1.3875v in the BIOS with a 50mV offset, and that translates into a vcore under load that is mostly around 1.35 (but boy, does it bounce up and down, 1.33v-1.36v, sometimes even 1.31...).

Sustaining 1.45v is more challenging, but I wonder if that's was the effective vcore under load (I believe the 990FX Killer had LLC, though, but I'm not sure).

OP, whatever you get, blow some air on the VRM area, it can make a drastic difference in VRM temps as you push the overclock.

Well, an 8320 generally overclocks worse than an 8350. And I can confirm that the 990FX Killer does not have any LLC setting which was a pain in the ass when overclocking.

But these only confirm that for such OC he needs a quality board. I'd just probably switch the platform as investing a lot into an AM3+ board atm is not really worth it, especially that an 8320 CPU will bottleneck his 1070 anyway.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3800MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×