European Union Calls For Massive Internet Censorship

You_are_a_cunt

Welp. Looks like the Internet Censorship disease jumped the pond to us in Europe (or at least in the EU)

A leaked document from the European Union reveals that the EU presidency is calling for massive internet censorship and filtering.

The proposals, if adopted, call for European countries to follow in China’s footsteps regarding online censorship.

The directive calls on the EU to enact even stricter copyright laws, which EDRi says pushes pre-existing terms “further into the realms of illegality.”

The text contains “two options for each of the two most controversial proposals: the so-called ‘link tax’ or ancillary copyright, and the upload filter.” EDRi says both directives would be harmful to a free and open Internet.

Option A maintains the Commission’s original proposal of having in place an upload filter which will be under the control of platforms and other companies that are hosting online content. Although it removes mentions to “content recognition technologies”, in reality, there is no way to “prevent the availability” (another expression which remains in the text) of certain content without scanning all the content first.

Option B is, at best, a more extreme version of Option A. In fact, it seems so extreme that it almost makes the first option look like a reasonable compromise. This may, of course, be the “diplomatic” strategy. In this extreme option, the text attacks again the liability regime of the e-commerce Directive – which, bizarrely, would not be repealed, leaving us with two contradictory pieces of EU law but adds a “clarification” of what constitutes a “communication to the public”. This clarification establishes that platforms (and its users) would be liable for the copyright infringing content uploaded by its users.

In other words, platforms like Twitter or YouTube could be held responsible for each and every piece of content uploaded by their users. Demanding that these websites vet each and every piece of content would not only cost too much, it is also impossible to do manually — even for tech giants.

sauce thanks to @SurvivorNVL

My rant:

Once again the EU proves it's full of dinguses, clowns and all-round dumbasses.

We, as a global community, fight the good fight for Net Neutrality and Free Speech and a bunch of bigwigs come and try to essentially take control over what content is available to us.

Censorship is one of the lowest and most asshattish thing a "governing body" (be it at a local, national or international community level) and serves no purpose other than controlling what information is being distributed and opens the floodgates to doctored news.

This is what the Communists did (at least in Romania) and look how well that turned out.

They'd better drop this fast, else I see a lot of people getting real angry.

The article mentions Twitter and YouTube, but I can see them taking it even further than social media. Imagine an overseer controlling what news can and can't be reported or going as far as demanding that a particular piece of news be presented in a certain way. Sound familiar?

Since people like to complain, here's further reading material:

https://edri.org/leaked-document-eu-presidency-calls-for-massive-internet-filtering/

http://www.statewatch.org/news/2017/aug/eu-council-copyright-directive-estonian-compromises-11783-17.pdf

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

They're not calling for anything yet. It's a proposal. It still has to be voted and ratified. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

9 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Welp. Looks like the Internet Censorship disease jumped the pond to us in Europe (or at least in the EU)

sauce thanks to @SurvivorNVL

My rant:

We, as a global community, fight the good fight for Net Neutrality and Free Speech and a bunch of bigwigs come and try to essentially take control over what content is available to us.

Censorship is one of the lowest and most asshattish thing a "governing body" (be it at a local, national or international community level) and serves no purpose other than controlling what information is being distributed and opens the floodgates to doctored news.

This is what the Communists did (at least in Romania) and look how well that turned out.

They'd better drop this fast, else I see a lot of people getting real angry.

The article mentions Twitter and YouTube, but I can see them taking it even further than social media. Imagine an overseer controlling what news can and can't be reported or going as far as demanding that a particular piece of news be presented in a certain way. Sound familiar?

Them doing that would just make more people start using vpn right I see no point in doing this why would they wanna be cancerous like chia

I want winmx back. :(

Surely in this day and age a program similar to it or limewire can be made to avoid meddling government controls?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

34 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

If there's one thing good about it if it ever happened is that VPN sales will skyrocket. But then again, I don't see something as ludicrous as this to become a reality. If there's one thing history has taught humanity is that authoritarianism doesn't work.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

At least unlike China, this [profanity] [profanity] proposal can be rejected by the public.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Do you even have to follow a "law" if its illegal?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Welcome to politics , The wolf in sheep's clothing .

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

They're not calling for anything yet. It's a proposal. It still has to be voted and ratified. 

This is how EU works:

Proposal with some very quiet public statements and publications

nothing (secret lobbying)

nothing (secret bickering)

nothing (secret voting)

Legislation announced to the public with a date upon which it turns into law

Public outrage ensues

Representatives addresses the complaints (goes on vacation to the bahamas on EU travel expenses)

Nothing changes

Law is in effect

fuck you public

This is what you get, when you allow a unelected, unregulated and UN-DEMOCRATIC ruling body, with NO responsibility nor accountability to its affected "subjects" to "govern" your life.

This is why, if given the chance, i'd move to America. I dont care about Trump, violence, shitty pay, horrible healthcare or whatever. At the very least, you have the opportunity to call out your democratically elected leaders on their BS and actually have a hope of things improving.

The only "people" that can affect whatever the EU does, is top brass of hedgefunds and fortune 500 companies/chinese/american government. Because nobody else has the ability to impose any actual "threat" or "consequence" to these people

Hooray........ This is totally why I'm proud to be an EU passport holder   /sarcasm.

Honestly, what the hell is going on. This is not something that the EU of all people should be trying to do.....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I LOVE living in the EU. /s

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

This is bad, the leftist scum is everywhere. How the heck do we break EUnion once and for all? I hate living in it they destroyed everything, they destroyed independent europe and continue restricting citizen rights.

Italexit please and thank you

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

There is no wonder that EU is imploding with more and more countries leaving (or wants to leave).

Hopefully there will be a Swexit soon as well.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Yeah because they never voted in anything stupid... (*cough* """refugee""" quota *cough*) 9_9

I'm waiting for the EU to implode just so I can say I called it.

Unfortunately I'm stuck here for another 3 to 5 years, but if I'm ever given the opportunity to leave pops up, I'm going to probably take it ASAP.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

42 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

I'm waiting for the EU to implode just so I can say I called it.

Unfortunately I'm stuck here for another 3 to 5 years, but if I'm ever given the opportunity to leave pops up, I'm going to probably take it ASAP.

as long as the english economy doesnt hit the fuckin fan within the next 5 years I'll be fine

half english so I get that passport and bam, a country that doesn't totally suck

idk

9 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

as long as the english economy doesnt hit the fuckin fan within the next 5 years I'll be fine

half english so I get that passport and bam, a country that doesn't totally suck

IIRC post-Brexit they're limiting the number of people coming to the UK to work, including cutting down the ones already employed that aren't UK nationals or aren't in the process of obtaining a citizenship

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

3 hours ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

In what way is a proposal not calling for somthing? 

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

This is how EU works:

Proposal with some very quiet public statements and publications

nothing (secret lobbying)

nothing (secret bickering)

nothing (secret voting)

Legislation announced to the public with a date upon which it turns into law

Public outrage ensues

Representatives addresses the complaints (goes on vacation to the bahamas on EU travel expenses)

Nothing changes

Law is in effect

fuck you public

This is what you get, when you allow a unelected, unregulated and UN-DEMOCRATIC ruling body, with NO responsibility nor accountability to its affected "subjects" to "govern" your life.

This is why, if given the chance, i'd move to America. I dont care about Trump, violence, shitty pay, horrible healthcare or whatever. At the very least, you have the opportunity to call out your democratically elected leaders on their BS and actually have a hope of things improving.

The only "people" that can affect whatever the EU does, is top brass of hedgefunds and fortune 500 companies/chinese/american government. Because nobody else has the ability to impose any actual "threat" or "consequence" to these people

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Yeah because they never voted in anything stupid... (*cough* """refugee""" quota *cough*) 9_9

Do you have how many proposals go through the European council without ever being adopted? 

You're just assuming that this law will be adopted just because you view the EU as some dictatorial institution, when the fact is the citizens are the ones that vote for their countrie's representatives in the European council. 

People just need to realize that their wishes also have to contend with those of other EU members as well. 

If you mean that citizens can't directly vote for individual laws, I'll remind you that neither can people vote for the laws of their individual country. They elect leaders with whom the share views, who then vote those laws. 

The EU council is just an extension of a national congress you'd find in any country. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Do you have how many proposals go through the European council without ever being adopted? 

First someone calls for something, then it gets proposed. You stupidly claimed "a proposal isn't calling for something". It is. I don't care or did claim to know how the EU works. 

While I dislike the EU as much as the next guy, this is a bit FUD spreading. 

This proposal (from what I understand)  comes from the presidency of the council which resides in Estonia. So for some reason Estonia has some heavy lobbying going on to control the internet to prevent piracy which is likely to come from the movie and music industry.

Why on Earth Estonia thought it'd be a good idea to put it forward is beyond me. I can't imagine it passing considering how pro free internet the EU is outwardly trying to appear to be.

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Can a law be illegal? Unfair perhaps? 

3 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

First someone calls for something, then it gets proposed. You stupidly claimed "a proposal isn't calling for something". It is. I don't care or did claim to know how the EU works. 

Ok, maybe i did misphrase that.