M.2 X4 eGPU Dock. Fastest external laptop gpu.

theres an m.2 x4 version of the beast egpu external dock, it supposedly has no performance loss. theres also an m.2 x2 version, which is supposedly the same speed as the mini pcie version which is also available, they lose 20% performance roughly from what it says. the former blanketing most laptops since 2007 making it excellent. but the m.2 x4 might be a superior solution to this external problem, since its available cheaper than thunderbolt 3 for starters, and if it truely doesnt lose performance, its excellent as well.

im not sure on the metrics since i dont own one myself yet. from the videos ive seen with the mini pcie version, it seems to lose a little performance from what id expect on a desktop. the framerate on most games is still very playable for the card in question with little to no noticable drop from what id expect in native x16. so i dont see why m.2 x4 wouldnt completely negate any possible drop in performance flawlessly.  id like to see a comparison some day to shed more light on it. although essentially m.2 x4 is pcie 3.0 x4 i believe, so it should be fast enough to support a full gpu with no issues natively. i could be wrong about that though, as some laptops say pcie x4 (m.2 m key 2280) and some dont, similar to how some usb type c has thunderbolt 3 and some dont.

also, considering some laptops have 2 mini pcie slots, and considering its just slimmed down pcie x1, i wonder if you could sli graphics cards with this.

for anyone looking for it, i searched V8.0 EXP GDC M.2 X4 Version, its the first link, banggood. if you scroll down it lists links to all the different versions, m.2 x2, mini pcie, mac and expresscard. pretty awsome seeing this kind of thing finally. keep in mind the mini pcie version on banggood isnt bundled with the power adapter or 6 pin splitter. but you can find the same thing on world taobao in a bundle. theres also cases available on ebay for this dock.

https://www.banggood.com/M_2-X4-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-With-Power-p-1109912.html X4 version bundle

https://world.taobao.com/item/37107780625.htm?fromSite=main (translate this site with google chrome or equivilant) mini pcie version bundle

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XEXP+GDC+BEAST+case.TRS0&_nkw=EXP+GDC+BEAST+case&_sacat=0 Cases

translated the taobao website gives pretty comprehensive instructions to set it up, and a pretty long list of helpful information.

TB2x.9IaPnyQeBjSspbXXazUXXa_!!20602407.jpg

TB2YfainYJkpuFjy1zcXXa5FFXa_!!20602407.jpg

s-l500.jpg

The EXP GDC may appear good value but there is now some other products that are considerably more cost effective:

59021b7c875f5.png

ahhh, i can see issues with that already, while the first one you linked is m key, its an x1 not a standard x4, and the second one is an x4, but the price is the same as the bundles i linked, and the one you linked appears to be tethered, making it alot less versatile. i linked a bundle that comes with the dock, the cable, the power brick, and the 6 pin splitter, and detailed text and picture instructions to set it all up, there are also cases available for them on ebay as well.

it appears in comparison you get what you pay for, and 130 dollars roughly for a setup you can use in a limitless amount of laptops seems like a good deal to me. and with a case, and dell power brick (standard in those bundles), and an unpluggable dock would clean up nicely and look nice on a desk, or under a screen etc, it also contains a usb. so with a usb splitter you could have your whole desktop setup seperate from your laptop.

• 5 months later...
On 9/7/2017 at 9:20 AM, Meridean said:

ahhh, i can see issues with that already, while the first one you linked is m key, its an x1 not a standard x4, and the second one is an x4, but the price is the same as the bundles i linked, and the one you linked appears to be tethered, making it alot less versatile. i linked a bundle that comes with the dock, the cable, the power brick, and the 6 pin splitter, and detailed text and picture instructions to set it all up, there are also cases available for them on ebay as well.

it appears in comparison you get what you pay for, and 130 dollars roughly for a setup you can use in a limitless amount of laptops seems like a good deal to me. and with a case, and dell power brick (standard in those bundles), and an unpluggable dock would clean up nicely and look nice on a desk, or under a screen etc, it also contains a usb. so with a usb splitter you could have your whole desktop setup seperate from your laptop.

The above cable COULD be used to make unplugging from the laptop easier then opening it up if you have spare room inside. 

• 3 months later...

I’m considering getting one of these with the m.2 connector. So the 8.0 version is x4 with only 1 hdmi input, the 8.4 is not x4? And the 9.5 version is x4 but with 2 hdmi inputs, is there any benefit of 9.5 or 8.0?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys thats quite an interesting discussion you got there. i am looking forward to buying the 8 core asus laptop (gl702zc). but it didn't have thunderbolt support so i dropped the idea, now that i have learned that there are other methods to hook up an external gpu i got interested in said laptop again. my plan is to hook up a vega or if i wait long enough; an upcoming navi gpu. what i need to know is whether they are first of all compatible, if i need another powersupply for their 250 to 300 watt tdp or if i can just undervolt them before the use and thus lower their tdp to a supported level. another question would be if the exp gdc can supply cards that require more than an 8 pin connector and if you can just get a 330 watt power brick and use it instead.

• 1 month later...

On 06/06/2018 at 10:36 PM, Mbrown278 said:

I’m considering getting one of these with the m.2 connector. So the 8.0 version is x4 with only 1 hdmi input, the 8.4 is not x4? And the 9.5 version is x4 but with 2 hdmi inputs, is there any benefit of 9.5 or 8.0?

Does anyone know the answer to this? What is the benefit of 2 hdmi cables? Parallel instead of serial? Faster transfer speed?

obviously more data to transfer by the two HDMI ports,i think this is the saint grial that all of us we are looking  for long time,the definitive solution to the PCIE full 16X speed as a desktop motherboard,there is one problem still to solve wich is the internal display,we will have problems with this but i think with the last version of the EXP GDC M2 M key with two hdmi links will be not more problems for our external gpu's with a external display,i dont think we will lost more than 2% of performance with this one or maybe the speed is so high that we will dont lost performance at all.i already have purchased one for me,I'LL TAKE IT¡¡ :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 8:01 AM, BEST STAR said:

Hey guys thats quite an interesting discussion you got there. i am looking forward to buying the 8 core asus laptop (gl702zc). but it didn't have thunderbolt support so i dropped the idea, now that i have learned that there are other methods to hook up an external gpu i got interested in said laptop again. my plan is to hook up a vega or if i wait long enough; an upcoming navi gpu. what i need to know is whether they are first of all compatible, if i need another powersupply for their 250 to 300 watt tdp or if i can just undervolt them before the use and thus lower their tdp to a supported level. another question would be if the exp gdc can supply cards that require more than an 8 pin connector and if you can just get a 330 watt power brick and use it instead.

Note that you must use an External monitor when using an amd gpu since they do not have novitiate Optimus

On 9/19/2018 at 9:04 PM, KevinSturt said:

Does anyone know the answer to this? What is the benefit of 2 hdmi cables? Parallel instead of serial? Faster transfer speed?

The one with two hdmi inputs is made for the m.2 key which is an m.2 to 2 hdmi cable

• 7 months later...
On 9/7/2017 at 2:35 AM, nando4 said:

The EXP GDC may appear good value but there is now some other products that are considerably more cost effective:

59021b7c875f5.png

Well i bought a exp gdc beast m.2 m adapter but i got confused because mine is m.2 2280 it doesn't fit its a different slot actually i am informed  that my hp 15 aw002la has a bios whitelist which means its blocked how can i fix that or who can help me i want to use a amd vega 64 8gb gigabyte gpu with the exp gdc beast ngff or m.2 m i have both versions both cables and adapters please help is needed or a respond with a solution or question

I found this which might prove more reliable although I haven't purchased it/tried it. I might consider it if I build another STX PC.

ADT-Link M.2 key M NVMe External Graphics Card Stand Bracket with PCIe3.0 x4 Riser Cable 25cm 50cm 32Gbs For ITX STX NUC VEGA64 GTX1080ti (25CM,R43SG)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XYZSX55/?coliid=I1E41IKCWN38M8&colid=18FSAXF9NIXTR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it