Any computer hardware engineers on this forum I can interview?

terrytek

So for my English class, I have to do this project where I research the career I am interested, and in order to get an A on this project, I need to interview someone who works in the field I'm interested in, in this case, computer hardware engineers. However, I seem to have no connections to any computer engineers in my area, since my area is a very tech-sparse area, so connections to them are very few. I figured I'd ask this forum because this is a tech forum, and I'm bound to run into a hardware engineer or two, right? And if you are willing to be interviewed by me (I prefer interviewing someone through email), and do have some experience on your belt, feel free to PM me and we can work something else. This interview is what makes or breaks my grade for this assignment, so anybody who is willing to be interviewed would be greatly appreciated.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

someone please help me? or at least steer me to a place where I can contact one?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Maybe you could try contacting a few manufacturers (Intel, AMD, Gigabyte, ASUS, etc.) and see if any of them have someone you could interview.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

4 minutes ago, sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ said:

You're a high-school kid writing an English paper, not an accused war criminal pleading for your life in a court: you're allowed to lie.

Interview anybody: garbage collector, solicitor, civil engineer, doctor, welder…then just tell your teacher that this is the career you're most interested in right now. Nobody can call you out on that, and you're a still a child: you're supposed to be changing your mind every few weeks as you learn more about the world. Last week you cared about "computer hardware engineers", this week you want to be a bartender.

If you really want to be a kiss-ass, go interview a teacher and say you just want to share the love of learning you got from your English instructor.

I don't know it  just feels wrong lying to my teacher, and plus I plan to do a pretty good presentation and shit with my interview info.

12 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I don't know it  just feels wrong lying to my teacher, and plus I plan to do a pretty good presentation and shit with my interview info.

well, honestly it's not a lie that hurts anyone.

software developer here if thats good enough .. if not sorry i dont think those kind of people come to forums like this all too frequently

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

software developer here if thats good enough .. if not sorry i dont think those kind of people come to forums like this all too frequently

I can lie about that since it's still computer related. A lie, it's not that much of a stretch.

I remember having to do this for my Senior year and just out right told my English teacher that I couldn't find any Hardware Engineers in the area (Mississippi so not the most developed) and interviewed my dad as a software engineer as that was the closest job that I could find at the time.

6 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I remember having to do this in my Senior year and just out right told my English teacher that I couldn't find any Hardware Engineers in the area (Mississippi so not the most developed) and interviewed my dad as a software engineer as that was the closest job that I could find at the time.

funny you mention that, I'm taking senior english right now and this project is for that class lol but I think i might just interview someone who is involved with computers, because it seems like hardware engineers are really hard to come by it seems like.

Just now, terrytek said:

funny you mention that, I'm taking senior english right now and this project is for that class lol but I think i might just interview someone who is involved with computers, because it seems like hardware engineers are really hard to come by it seems like.

Probably the best solution, heck even my dad was surprised to realize that his circle of friends no longer included Hardware Engineers.

On the aspect of hard to find, that will be so unless (at least for the USA) you live in Texas, Florida, New York, or California. You could argue it being harder as you have to bridge the gap between electrical engineering and computer science but that is just an assumption of mine.

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

hardware engineers are really hard to come by it seems like.

Technically you're looking for electronic engineers who work for computer hardware firms. There is no dedicated "computer hardware engineering" degree.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, tjcater said:

Probably the best solution, heck even my dad was surprised to realize that his circle of friends no longer included Hardware Engineers.

On the aspect of hard to find, that will be so unless (at least for the USA) you live in Texas, Florida, New York, or California. You could argue it being harder as you have to bridge the gap between electrical engineering and computer science but that is just an assumption of mine.

As a tenant of california, it's actually really hard for me to find connections to any computer engineers, seeing i live in the most tech-sparse part of the state, the dumpster valley. only the coast and southern cali have tech-dense corps, and it's hard to find connections to them.

Networking/Systems here. I've got my first interview today at 1PM (UK) So. I'll see how that goes and I'll reply back to you. xD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

haha english paper. You need to speak mandarin to find a legit electronics engineer. Try phoning your local university, they will surely have a professor in engineering

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

21 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

haha english paper. You need to speak mandarin to find a legit electronics engineer. Try phoning your local university, they will surely have a professor in engineering

you really think that a professor will waste his valuable time?

Just now, Teddy07 said:

you really think that a professor will waste his valuable time?

yes i do. depends how friendly they are. Unis have always been friendly to me when I enquire about their courses. it wouldnt be alien to ask questions related to the homework. Im sure questions in the homework would be similar to questions you would ask in an open day. The topic is about career choices.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

There are at least lots on this forum who consider themselves experts in Computer engineering. 

I wish I could help but after my studies (in 1993) I worked maybe less than a week in the field then went and did something else.  Not sure I even qualify as a technician by today's standards let alone an engineer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 hours ago, tjcater said:

That's mostly software engineering with some electronics sprinkled in - which is the sort of degree I'm taking. As far as I know that's not the degree you want if you are interested in working for, say, intel.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 9/5/2017 at 5:12 AM, Sauron said:

That's mostly software engineering with some electronics sprinkled in - which is the sort of degree I'm taking. As far as I know that's not the degree you want if you are interested in working for, say, intel.

Computer engineers typically do go to work for intel, etc. I would say computer engineering tries to be a 50/50 mix of electrical engineering and computer science (programming, typically).

Also many people use "computer hardware engineer" as a all encompassing term. I take it to mean people that work on the hardware design for whatever project they work typically using microcontrollers, FPGAs, and languages such as VHDL or verilog, etc. Also can sometimes design semiconductors.

As for Op's question my background is in electrical & computer engineering. Currently working more as a electrical engineer, so not much real world work experience as a computer engineer. As earlier poster said, reddit would be your best bet.

1 minute ago, CrazyRed98 said:

Computer engineers typically do go to work for intel, etc. I would say computer engineering tries to be a 50/50 mix of electrical engineering and computer science (programming, typically).

As for Op's question my background is in electrical & computer engineering. Currently working more as a electrical engineer, so not much real world work experience as a computer engineer. As earlier poster said, reddit would be your best bet.

Well I have decided since hardware engineering is almost impossible to find here, I'd figure I'd go with a software engineer, still computer related. So I found someone to interview for that instead.