Wait for i7-8700k or stay with i7-5820k?

Hello all,

I am currently running a 5820k x99 system. I game and want to start streaming soon. Do a bit of mining, but not much as I only have one 1080ti GPU.

Anyway, I have a feeling that's it's time to upgrade for some newer feature, and the Coffee Lake 8700k is looking quite enticing. I'm assuming that 6 cores would be better all round for streaming while gaming, but have never streamed, so not 100% sure yet. Just wondering what the LTT forums people think about the subjet?

DISCLAIMER: I am not an Intel fanboy, I just prefer Intel overall. I know their interface better than AMD's. I do like Ryzen and all they've done recently, but I feel like the higher clock speeds of Intel and what I assume are still higher instructions per clock, would do better in gaming and possibly streaming.

Just looking for some thoughts and suggestions please? And yes, I would be doing a fully custom water loop for the new CPU and my Founders 1080ti to keep both components longevity.

Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!

I have a 5820K and I'm probably going to upgrade to the 8700K. Wait for reviews and decide ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I have a 5820K and I'm probably going to upgrade to the 8700K. Wait for reviews and decide ;)

Thank you for the reply sir!

I was thinking the same. Just finished watching the WAN show from yesterday and I had heard some stuff about the 8700k on Awesome Hardware from Paul and Kyle I think and they had some good specs/rumors about it too. So I'm leaning towards the new Coffee Lake for sure! But yeah, I won't be jumping just yet. I'll wait until there are plenty more reviews and what not. Lol

Just now, IceCold008 said:

I have a 4770k and im going to wait for Cannonlake it might actually be a worth while CPU upgrade. 

Cannon Lake is going to be after this coming Coffee Lake right? Has there been any rumors or anything on it yet? I don't think I've heard anything myself lol

Its all rumors. It will however i reckon will get a die shrink. As for preformance going to have to wait for benchmarks. I allways upgrade every 3 or 4 generations of CPU. It makes sense unless you love spending the money. 

2 minutes ago, ApexSutton31 said:

Cannon Lake is going to be after this coming Coffee Lake right? Has there been any rumors or anything on it yet? I don't think I've heard anything myself lol

Skylake > Kabylake > (Coffeelake, releasing soon) > Cannonlake > Icelake > Tigerlake > Unnamed

"I'm not really that old, I'm just 18 + shipping" -Unknown

Please tell me why you aren't on dark theme already.

Herro my dark theme brothers.

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

Phone: iPhone 7 Plus that is patiently waiting to be jailbroken.

Just now, IceCold008 said:

Its all rumors. It will however i reckon will get a die shrink. As for preformance going to have to wait for benchmarks. I allways upgrade every 3 or 4 generations of CPU. It makes sense unless you love spending the money. 

Oh okay. Yeah, that would make sense. Yeah, I'll for sure keep my eye out for any more rumors/specs that come out with it. And no, I agree about upgrading every 3 or 4 generations for the CPU. Does save you a bit more money. Lol. I personally upgrade my GPU every 2 or 3 gens, just because most games take advantage of features that come out in the same time frame as GPU gen releases. But that's just me. Actually upgraded my 980 to 1080ti a couple months back, so that was a bit soon, but needed more VRAM, so it was okay. Little overkill with only a 1440p monitor, but okay none the less. Lol

4 minutes ago, xDyl said:

Skylake > Kabylake > (Coffeelake, releasing soon) > Cannonlake > Icelake > Tigerlake > Unnamed

Wait for Unnamed

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

3 minutes ago, xDyl said:

Lol. How so sir? Wouldn't more cores and high clock speeds/instructions per clock be better for streaming as well as some creator things? I don't do any content creation, but you get my point. Lol

1 minute ago, ApexSutton31 said:

Oh okay. Yeah, that would make sense. Yeah, I'll for sure keep my eye out for any more rumors/specs that come out with it. And no, I agree about upgrading every 3 or 4 generations for the CPU. Does save you a bit more money. Lol. I personally upgrade my GPU every 2 or 3 gens, just because most games take advantage of features that come out in the same time frame as GPU gen releases. But that's just me. Actually upgraded my 980 to 1080ti a couple months back, so that was a bit soon, but needed more VRAM, so it was okay. Little overkill with only a 1440p monitor, but okay none the less. Lol

I have a GTX 1080TI for my 1440p 144hz G-Sync Monitor. The GPU is a Perfect como for the monitor. NOT overkill what so ever unless its a 60hz Monitor. GTX 1080TI was made for 1440p its also good for 4k but you cant allways get a perfect 60fps in some games. 1440P Best suited :)

2 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Wait for Unnamed

What are the projected specs for the "Unnamed CPU though? Lol

Just now, ApexSutton31 said:

Lol. How so sir? Wouldn't more cores and high clock speeds/instructions per clock be better for streaming as well as some creator things? I don't do any content creation, but you get my point. Lol

I think you meant to quote @ApexSutton31, but yes more cores/threads help, and also Ryzen processors are better optimized for streaming, but slightly less effective in gaming. 8700K will be more efficient with streaming over the 7700K. But, the Ryzen 1700 will be more efficient over the 7700K, and we don't know about how much better or worse it'll be with 8700K. 

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

Probably a 7% ipc jump over kaby lake, just add more cores.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

1 minute ago, IceCold008 said:

I have a GTX 1080TI for my 1440p 144hz G-Sync Monitor. The GPU is a Perfect como for the monitor. NOT overkill what so ever unless its a 60hz Monitor. GTX 1080TI was made for 1440p its also good for 4k but you cant allways get a perfect 60fps in some games. 1440P Best suited :)

Yeah, that's very true! Well, that's my problem, mine is still a 60hz monitor from when I first built this PC like 4 or 5 years ago :|xD But trust me, I plan on upgraded my monitor to a 144hz G-Sync very soon. I play a lot of FPS titles, mainly Overwatch, so I could use a higher refresh rate monitor. Lol. Yeah, 4k is quite enticing, but I think I'd rather go with super high frame rates on 1440p with a high refresh rate for sure!

All of those are basicaly rumors from a page, lol. They suspect it like this:

Kabylake - optimization

Coffeelake - optimization (again)

Cannonlake - process

Icelake - architechture

Tigerlake - optimization (again, again)

Unnamed - process (again)

95% of this is rumors (except for Kabylake & Coffeelake), so take it worth a grain of salt.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, xDyl said:

I think you meant to quote @ApexSutton31, but yes more cores/threads help, and also Ryzen processors are better optimized for streaming, but slightly less effective in gaming. 8700K will be more efficient with streaming over the 7700K. But, the Ryzen 1700 will be more efficient over the 7700K, and we don't know about how much better or worse it'll be with 8700K. 

Okay, yeah, that is true. I remember all the videos showing AMD put the Ryzen chips up against the 7700k with streaming and how much better it was. That's why I am looking a lot more at the 8700k now that we've been hearing more about it. Sounds like it will compete quite well in most aspects with that Ryzen chips. But no, I for sure won't be jumping on anything right away. I'll be waiting for YouTube reviews on the 8700k when they get their review copies for sure. Hopefully the streaming aspect will be one of their main test points as well as gaming, since that's one of the most desired features with them with the main stream consumers out there. But we'll have to wait and see I guess. Lol

6/12 to 6/12 is not going to be much of an upgrade (Just IPC but I doubt it'd be much more than 5% real world) coming of that 5820k I'd stay for at least this generation if not this one and the next.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Okay, yeah, that is true. I remember all the videos showing AMD put the Ryzen chips up against the 7700k with streaming and how much better it was. That's why I am looking a lot more at the 8700k now that we've been hearing more about it. Sounds like it will compete quite well in most aspects with that Ryzen chips. But no, I for sure won't be jumping on anything right away. I'll be waiting for YouTube reviews on the 8700k when they get their review copies for sure. Hopefully the streaming aspect will be one of their main test points as well as gaming, since that's one of the most desired features with them with the main stream consumers out there. But we'll have to wait and see I guess. Lol

Yep.

For all we know 8700K could be 20% better at gaming than Ryzen, but like a couple percent worse at streaming still.

Spoiler

Just now, Misanthrope said:

6/12 to 6/12 is not going to be much of an upgrade (Just IPC but I doubt it'd be much more than 5% real world) coming of that 5820k I'd stay for at least this generation if not this one and the next.

A 22nm architecture to a 14nm is a difference... also processor clock speed would change...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, xDyl said:

A 22nm architecture to a 14nm is a difference... also processor clock speed would change...

There are some IPC gains to be had yes, but they're not gonna be that big. Main difference is that his chip was 6/12 on a far bigger die so different cooling characteristics but if he already has sufficient cooling and clocks for the 5820k then getting rid of his expensive chip and motherboard to move over to a consumer platform (which is a move down) is just not a good idea.

Anyone wanting to buy X99 or X299 right now would be a fool since many of the chips will be obsolete vs the 8700k (Not to mention Ryzens and Threadrippers) but someone who already has it? Is not worth putting money down to basically sidegrade.

-------

Current Rig

-------

36 minutes ago, ApexSutton31 said:

I'm assuming that 6 cores would be better all round for streaming while gaming, but have never streamed, so not 100

Sounds like you think your current CPU has 4 cores? It actually has 6

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

41 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Probably a 7% ipc jump over kaby lake, just add more cores.

Okay. That makes sense. So not too much optimization, but some to bad had either way.

35 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah, I know the cores and threads isn't any change really. Just figure the upgraded architecture would be the main upgrade. But if it ends up being that little of a performance buff when the reviews come out, I'll just do my full water loop and do a mad overclock on the 5820k and call it a day for another 2 generations or so. Lol

36 minutes ago, xDyl said:

Yep.

For all we know 8700K could be 20% better at gaming than Ryzen, but like a couple percent worse at streaming still.

Yeah, I'll just have to wait for all the reviews and comparisons from content creators I guess. Lol