Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Laptop with desktop like removable CPU

Hey! Just wanted to talk about something that struck me as odd. A buddy of mine had some thermal throttling on his laptop and asked me to take a look. It's an older Alienware m17x with an i7 2820qm, really beefy heavy thing. I pulled off the bottom to see the heat sink and paste situation, and as you can see from the photo, whoever did this (factory I guess?) seems to put the paste everywhere BUT the CPU. But the socket had a little screw head saying unlock, so out of curiosity I unlocked it, and the CPU was allowed to be ejected like a desktop .-. I've never seen something like this ever, mainly because I've never been in the situation of opening a 'high end laptop'. Yea it's old now, but it was close to top of the line 5 or so years back I assume.. So yea, has anyone ever seen this before? How common is this?

On the temp note. Gaming gave it throttle to 700mhz while hovering around 84c. But now it maintains it's 3.3 turbo at a nice and cool 60 :P

21268080_10154687495637413_1581103003_o.jpg

21284601_10154687495667413_1366213029_o.jpg

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

Link to post
Share on other sites

you've never seen this? that's an rPGA988 CPU, there's 988 pins on the bottom. 

 

Intel did this until Haswell, and then on Broadwell they're just like 'lol solder it' 

 

my EliteBook 2570p for example is a 12.5" laptop with one of these sockets and I can drop in a quad-core, it's amazing. 

 

nowadays if you want a socket you need to go for something like the Clevo W650KK1, it's a 15.6" laptop with a GTX 1050Ti and a FULL DESKTOP SOCKET that fits LGA1151 chips. 

If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer'

Resident living meme - I swear a lot; if you don't like it fuck off :^)

  My specs and shit down below.

Spoiler

Apollo: i5 4670K @ 4.6Ghz, Corsair H100i, MSI Z87I, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX3, Corsair 250D, 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, SeaSonic 520W PSU. Planned upgrades: 16GB RAM, 480/512GB SSD, new HDD

Sputnik: HP EliteBook 2570p, i5-3360M, 16GB DDR3, 256GB 840 EVO - Running Win10/Sierra dual-boot.  Future upgrades: i7-quad

Comet (home server): Atom D2500, 4GB 1066Mhz RAM, 2 x 320GB HDDs, 350W PSU, HAF-Stacker ITX, dual GbE. Cost me $80. back from the dead (mobo failure) bois

Spoiler

Main peripherals

- Corsair Strafe RGB MX Reds

- SteelSeries Siberia 650

- SteelSeries QcK+ CS:GO Camo 

- SteelSeries QcK+ Na'Vi Splash (Secondary pad, used for second rig)

- SteelSeries Rival 700

- SteelSeries Rival 300 (Secondary mouse, used for second rig)

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty standard for most laptops until consumers wanted thinner smaller. Last few laptops I had were sockets, good for an end of life upgrade when parts become dirt cheap.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Frankieanime158 said:

Hey! Just wanted to talk about something that struck me as odd. A buddy of mine had some thermal throttling on his laptop and asked me to take a look. It's an older Alienware m17x with an i7 2820qm, really beefy heavy thing. I pulled off the bottom to see the heat sink and paste situation, and as you can see from the photo, whoever did this (factory I guess?) seems to put the paste everywhere BUT the CPU. But the socket had a little screw head saying unlock, so out of curiosity I unlocked it, and the CPU was allowed to be ejected like a desktop .-. I've never seen something like this ever, mainly because I've never been in the situation of opening a 'high end laptop'. Yea it's old now, but it was close to top of the line 5 or so years back I assume.. So yea, has anyone ever seen this before? How common is this?

On the temp note. Gaming gave it throttle to 700mhz while hovering around 84c. But now it maintains it's 3.3 turbo at a nice and cool 60 :P

21268080_10154687495637413_1581103003_o.jpg

21284601_10154687495667413_1366213029_o.jpg

that is a PGA cpu :D

 

today you can buy many clevo models with a socketed LGA cpu. Yes they exist :)

 

 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Intel did this until Haswell, and then on Broadwell they're just like 'lol solder it' 

That sucks.

 

On mobile platform Intel's like "we want them to replace laptops more often rather than buying parts, so let's solder it"

 

On desktop platform Intel's like "we dont have a reason, but let's just glue the heat spreader on the CPU rather than solder it so cooling on overclocking CPUs suck and you have to delid it, maybe damage it so you will buy another one"

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, never seen this before :o That's pretty cool though. It really sucks they don't continue doing this. I get thin laptops for business people, but what if us enthusiasts wanted something like that? They should have at least an alternative .-.

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Frankieanime158 said:

Nope, never seen this before :o That's pretty cool though. It really sucks they don't continue doing this. I get thin laptops for business people, but what if us enthusiasts wanted something like that? They should have at least an alternative .-.

these laptops have a desktop socketed cpu:

 

Intel%20Core%20i5%207600K%20specs.jpg

-clevo n350dw

-clevo n650du

-clevo w650kj1

-clevo w650kk1

-clevo n850kp6

-clevo p750dm2

-clevo p775dm3

-clevo p870dm2

-clevo p870dm3

-clevo p870km

-clevo p870km1

-msi 16L13

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

Here's a laptop will a LGA 2011 socket that will support up to a 12-Core Xeon CPU:

 

nowadays you can buy this clevo or other of my previus list :)

 

 

 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

nowadays you can buy this clevo or other of my previus list :)

 

 

 

That one has an LGA 1151 socket which only supports processors up to four cores.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

That one has an LGA 1151 socket which only supports processors up to four cores.

they should be upgraded with 6-cores coffee lake at the start of 2018

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

they should be upgraded with 6-cores coffee lake at the start of 2018

The new socket will be called LGA 1151-2 or LGA 1151-3. It will physically be the same as the original LGA 1151 socket. Processors from the previous LGA 1151 socket will not be forwards compatible with this new socket and the new processors will not be compatible with the old socket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

The new socket will be called LGA 1151-2 or LGA 1151-3. It will physically be the same as the original LGA 1151 socket. Processors from the previous LGA 1151 socket will not be forwards compatible with this new socket and the new processors will not be compatible with the old socket.

don't worry, eurocom and clevo will make new motherboards :)

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

don't worry, eurocom and clevo will make new motherboards :)

Still, when it comes to multicore performance that 12-Core Xeon will put a Core i7 8700 to shame!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Still, when it comes to multicore performance that 12-Core Xeon will put a Core i7 8700 to shame!

do you know benchmarks for that e5-2695 v2 ?

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sicily428 said:

do you know benchmarks for that e5-2695 v2 ?

There aren't official benchmarks for the Core i7-8700 yet so I am not sure how to compare them. By the way, this laptop supports up to a Xeon E5-2697v2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

I could recommend you this laptop: http://www.eluktronics.com/W650KK1-BYO

 

It is the Eluktronics w650kk1 and you can choose *any lga1151 CPU for it.

 

(the " * "  Was put there because the laptop won't support certain CPU's because of power limitations for it's platform AND as well as to prevent damage to your laptop.)

 

GTX 1050 ti 4GB w/ (INSERT CPU HERE) of your choosing with your laptop.

 

performance with a hyperthreaded dual core?

 

For Fortnite: 40 avg.,  * 59 max.  

 

(59 FPS due to screen's limitations unless using external monitor)

 

Oh!  The NVIDIA gpu is also desktop class low-tdp and not the mobile version.  So you quite literally have a mobile budget gaming "Desktop" that can fit in your backpack.

 

There's more!  Virtualization enabled and device passthrough enabled.  ( VT-X, VT-D. )

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×