Email Server blacklisted...

So I've spent the past 4 days setting up my Exchange Server. I had previous issues with. I found out from someone who I though I trusted to help set up the server while I was away. I knew him for past 9 years... anyway. I get back and I get an email telling that there's Trojan installed with a backdoor (I set it up with the antivirus) The server was used to spam. The server has been taken out of production, wiped and using new drives, not the same old ones. Now it's blacklisted by everyone. My customers are saying that they can send me an email, but I can't.. 

What can I do? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

7 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

So I've spent the past 4 days setting up my Exchange Server. I had previous issues with. I found out from someone who I though I trusted to help set up the server while I was away. I knew him for past 9 years... anyway. I get back and I get an email telling that there's Trojan installed with a backdoor (I set it up with the antivirus) The server was used to spam. The server has been taken out of production, wiped and using new drives, not the same old ones. Now it's blacklisted by everyone. My customers are saying that they can send me an email, but I can't.. 

What can I do? 

for example go to spamcop website, and check your ip. then file a removal. This takes a few days because they check if there is still spam coming from your IP. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

11 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

for example go to spamcop website, and check your ip. then file a removal. This takes a few days because they check if there is still spam coming from your IP. 

It's not on spamcop. It's blacklisted by Baracuda, Blacklisted by SORBS DUHL and Blacklisted by Spamhaus ZEN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Call them?

It was working before the server got comprised...before it was spamming.. :( 

I'm never letting him come near my network again. >:(>:(

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean call whoever blacklisted it, and explain the situation.

I've requested it on their website.. 

You'll have to request that they remove your IPs from the blacklist. We have multiple IPs, so if anything terrible were to happen we would just switch over to a new IP while we sort out the blacklist. 

30 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

What can I do? 

Is your Exchange exposed to the internet? I would recommend that you use a smart host. Something like: https://www.spamtitan.com

5 minutes ago, ITOUTLAW said:

You'll have to request that they remove your IPs from the blacklist. We have multiple IPs, so if anything terrible were to happen we would just switch over to a new IP while we sort out the blacklist. 

I've got a static IP. I restart my router to get an IP... Nothing works.. :( 

5 minutes ago, ITOUTLAW said:

Is your Exchange exposed to the internet? I would recommend that you use a smart host. 

Well it is I'll need to access my server from outside.., everything has been removed from the old server. Scanned the whole network. The Virus has been removed. 

EDIT: It seems that I can send emails, they just go to the spam box.. :( 

5 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

It's not on spamcop. It's blacklisted by Baracuda, Blacklisted by SORBS DUHL and Blacklisted by Spamhaus ZEN

If you get off every list, give it a few days, it should return to normal in a lot of cases, you're playing the game of propagation now. Below is a list of the pages to get started. Good luck with Spamhaus, I've never had to deal with them but I've heard stories in the past where basically it was extorsion to get your IP(s) removed.

Barracuda: http://www.barracudacentral.org/rbl/removal-request

SORBS/DUHL: http://www.sorbs.net/overview.shtml

Spamhaus: https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/delistingprocedure/

Just a heads up, in the future, have a spare system on a different IP block or different ISP where you can do a manual failover in the event something like this happens again. It sounds like you are just starting out but email is the lifeblood of a lot of business, the next time this happens you could lose all your clients.

Best of luck.

See how much it will cost to buy a new domain name ($10-$20 usually), so if it's example.com see if example.net is available. Use your existing DNS servers (do a transfer) and call it a day. If the IP is static which it sounds like it is, see what it would take to get a new IP. Either to change the IP or buy a small block. Otherwise you'll have to do as @Chaz042 suggests.

Guess my last comment from your other thread hit home about it being compromised. Sorry about your luck, email is great when it works and a nightmare when it breaks.

20 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

See how much it will cost to buy a new domain name ($10-$20 usually), so if it's example.com see if example.net is available. Use your existing DNS servers (do a transfer) and call it a day. If the IP is static which it sounds like it is, see what it would take to get a new IP. Either to change the IP or buy a small block. Otherwise you'll have to do as @Chaz042 suggests.

Guess my last comment from your other thread hit home about it being compromised. Sorry about your luck, email is great when it works and a nightmare when it breaks.

Well, the domain I've got is for my business soo.. Yeah. 

16 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Well, the domain I've got is for my business soo.. Yeah. 

Literally your company as in you're the owner? Even easier then. Otherwise pitch it to the boss, tell him email addresses will become .net and that customers/clients/who-ever can still send to the .com addresses. Just that the reply will have .net and new emails going forward will have .net. Then just be sure to have the website forward to the .com address.

How long can the business afford to tell external people (customers/clients/associates) to check their spam? You could be hammering nails for months. Don't decide on behalf of the boss, offer options.

.com/.net are just being used as examples, not sure what your case would/may be.

32 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Literally your company as in you're the owner? Even easier then. Otherwise pitch it to the boss, tell him email addresses will become .net and that customers/clients/who-ever can still send to the .com addresses. Just that the reply will have .net and new emails going forward will have .net. Then just be sure to have the website forward to the .com address.

How long can the business afford to tell external people (customers/clients/associates) to check their spam? You could be hammering nails for months. Don't decide on behalf of the boss, offer options.

.com/.net are just being used as examples, not sure what your case would/may be.

My business. I'm the owner/CEO. :P I've got a 3 people starting soon. (Actually friends)  Also, I've had the domain for 3 years. I've been using it for past 3 years and I've decided that we need an exchange server. I've looked at other options. Currently a bit expensive at the moment.

EDIT: The emails only started to have problems 3 days ago. We've been using a gmail account for now until we get everything sorted out. 

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

My business. I'm the owner/CEO. :P I've got a 3 people starting soon. (Actually friends)  Also, I've had the domain for 3 years. I've been using it for past 3 years and I've decided that we need an exchange server. I've looked at other options. Currently a bit expensive at the moment.

EDIT: The emails only started to have problems 3 days ago. We've been using a gmail account for now until we get everything sorted out. 

Very cool, hope to one day run my own business but we'll see.

You wouldn't change your domain, you'd be getting an additional domain specifically for email use if that makes sense. I'm not sure if it's still this way or not, but gmail allows up to 5 email accounts for free with their google.com/a which is now called g suite I think.

12 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Do away with running your own Exchange server: it's too much of a hassle plus to properly license it, it's quite expensive. 

Exchange Online is USD$4 per user per month with support included for shared mailboxes and a 99.9% SLA.

3 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Do away with running your own Exchange server: it's too much of a hassle plus to properly license it, it's quite expensive. 

Exchange Online is USD$4 per user per month with support included for shared mailboxes and a 99.9% SLA.

The Exchange license was provided when I downloaded Exchange. It was given to me by my university. I downloaded from Microsoft Imagine. If nothing works, I'll look at other alternatives.

3 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

The Exchange license was provided when I downloaded Exchange. It was given to me by my university. I downloaded from Microsoft Imagine. If nothing works, I'll look at other alternatives.

Just an FYI, I believe Microsoft Imagine's license forbids the use of its software in a production environment, where a development environment is okay, please check into this! 

13 minutes ago, Chaz042 said:

Just an FYI, I believe Microsoft Imagine's license forbids the use of its software in a production environment, where a development environment is okay, please check into this! 

I know this... Trust me. There's are ton of people out there using pirated version of Windows... in their place of work.