AMD closing Llano litigation with $29.5 million settlement

WMGroomAK

In an update to a long running legal issue for AMD concerning their Llano APUs from 2011 and the class action lawsuit about it's performance filed in 2014, AMD has announced that they will be paying out $29.5 million to close out the lawsuit.  

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/28/amd_drops_295m_on_llano/

Advanced Micro Devices has agreed to pay out $29.5m to settle a class action lawsuit its shareholders filed after the disastrous Llano chip rollout.

The chipmaker told the US District Court in Oakland, California, that it had struck a deal with the class of shareholders who had accused it of misleading investors in the runup to the 2011 Accelerated Processing Unit launch.

The settlement, yet to be approved by Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers, would put to rest more than three years of legal wrangling between the two sides.

The class accused AMD of violating federal securities laws by allegedly misleading investors on the progress it was making toward the public launch of the 32nm Llano chip, which combined CPU and GPU components within a single die and was set to compete with Intel's Sandy Bridge line.

After multiple delays beset the Llano, the chips had an initial 2009 release date pushed back to 2011, even as component manufacturers began selling motherboards for the line. AMD eventually had to write off $100m in unsold inventory.

Now AMD is pitching a settlement to end the case before it gets to trial. Under the proposed deal, AMD's insurers will fund the $29.5m payment and the chipmaker will be able to continue to deny it did anything wrong.

The two sides say they will have more details on the specifics of the deal by October 9.

Now that AMD appears to be getting their feet back under them with their Zen architecture and the whole Epyc, TR & Ryzen CPU line-ups they can hopefully not have to worry about having to pay out higher legal fees and maybe put that money into further development of improving their architecture.  Just wish that this lawsuit would have served as a better lesson over the hype training that AMD can suffer from (although some of that may come more from AMD fans than AMD itself and Intel's lack of significant improvements)...

PCPer Article: https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/expensive-failure-launch-Llanos-fine

10 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

And people bitch about the green and blue company misleading people....

They do, like everybody else 

Oh good they'll just take it out of their profits....

Wait, they have none.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Oh good they'll just take it out of their profits....

Wait, they have none.

Article clearly states that it'll be paid by AMD's insurer.  Work on those reading comprehension skills.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Article clearly states that it'll be paid by AMD's insurer.  Work on those reading comprehension skills.

Who you think pays for those insurance premiums?  They aren't in the business of paying out more money than they take in.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

54 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Tell us where AMD touched you

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

Tell us where AMD touched you

Right in the Trinity (seriously, fuck "turbo" core and these APU).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Ya know, at the time, Llano was pretty cool and I liked it and I even still have an A8-3870K. :P

23 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Someone seems to have already forgotten the nVidia GTX 970 class action settlement from a year ago and the Intel Pentium 4 class action settlement from a couple years before that...

oh i remember but atleast those products didn't perform worse than their previous generation counterparts

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, WMGroomAK said:

AMD's insurers will fund the $29.5m payment and the chipmaker will be able to continue to deny it did anything wrong.

settling a case is not an admittance of guilt. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´