Upgraded to ryzen, game instability or poor performance

Marin

Hi there, so a few days ago i upgraded from an fx-8320 and gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 and "STT ddr3 1600mhz 8gb, to a ryzen 5 1600 and gigabyte ab350 gaming 3, corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz 8gb.  my system boots, and other then gaming, performs normally and faster than before, so outside of games it seems that all the new hardware is working, but games don't run properly.  i believe i removed all the old drivers before doing the upgrade, ive also updated my bios to the most recent "F8" version, but still no change.  I know that the "easiest way" to do a CPU+motherboard+ram upgrade is to do a new windows install or re-install it.  is there anything else i should try before resorting to doing a reinstall?

*edit my GPU is an MSI gaming x rx-480 4gb*

2 minutes ago, Marin said:

Hi there, so a few days ago i upgraded from an fx-8320 and gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 and "STT ddr3 1600mhz 8gb, to a ryzen 5 1600 and gigabyte ab350 gaming 3, corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz 8gb.  my system boots, and other then gaming, performs normally and faster than before, so outside of games it seems that all the new hardware is working, but games don't run properly.  i believe i removed all the old drivers before doing the upgrade, ive also updated my bios to the most recent "F8" version, but still no change.  I know that the "easiest way" to do a CPU+motherboard+ram upgrade is to do a new windows install or re-install it.  is there anything else i should try before resorting to doing a reinstall?

Add Ram maybe ? 8 GB is a bit short nowadays for gaming.

My RAM usage goes up to 10-11 GB while playing some games ( only have discord and chrome opened in the back with steam origin battlenet )

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Per example yesterday only had 1 chrome page open, discord, steam and bnet, and in PUBG, 11 GB ram used

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

I would Format re-install tho... easiest thing to do and to start with

You may want to upgrade your ram to 16gb, but You're also going to want to keep in mind that Ryzen likes fast ram so that's also important.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Just now, gbergeron said:

Add Ram maybe ? 8 GB is a bit short nowadays for gaming.

My RAM usage goes up to 10-11 GB while playing some games ( only have discord and chrome opened in the back with steam origin battlenet )

Just now, gbergeron said:

Per example yesterday only had 1 chrome page open, discord, steam and bnet, and in PUBG, 11 GB ram used

im 100% sure its not a ram issue, ive read of others who have upgraded their cpu and motherboards and they have had this same issue, some games run fine for a while, while others either don't launch or crash mid game, for example, ill be able to run bf1 on ultra at about 80 fps but then it will crash randomly.  In hearts of iron 4 the game doesn't even launch, in arma 2 im getting worse performance, gta 5 does the same as BF1.  

I wish I saved the youtube video, but a guy just came out with a recent video about steps to take when upgrading to Ryzen. It had great advice as well as a link to the 'AMD Balance' power thing. I can't for the life of me find it though. 

what performance are you getting, in what games, with what GPU?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

what performance are you getting, in what games, with what GPU?

i have an MSI gaming x rx-480 4gb, in BF1 on ultra ill get around 80fps but then it will crash mid game, in gta 5 i stay just above 60fps, but again, it will just crash mid game.  in hearts of iron 4 the game won't launch, in arma 2 im going around 30fps which is worse then when i had my 8320 paired with the rx-480, csgo stays above 180 but studders alot.

i switched from 4790k to R7 1700 and i didn't have any issues except with windows on boot maybe one in 5 time and it doesn't happen at all anymore after some update. On the same windows install removing drivers after the swap.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Full specs?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

i switched from 4790k to R7 1700 and i didn't have any issues except with windows on boot maybe one in 5 time and it doesn't happen at all anymore after some update. On the same windows install removing drivers after the swap.

so you went in to remove and install drivers, or windows did it through an update?

10 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

I wish I saved the youtube video, but a guy just came out with a recent video about steps to take when upgrading to Ryzen. It had great advice as well as a link to the 'AMD Balance' power thing. I can't for the life of me find it though. 

with any platform change, always fresh install.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

7 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Why tho ? 

9 minutes ago, Marin said:

i have an MSI gaming x rx-480 4gb, in BF1 on ultra ill get around 80fps but then it will crash mid game, in gta 5 i stay just above 60fps, but again, it will just crash mid game.  in hearts of iron 4 the game won't launch, in arma 2 im going around 30fps which is worse then when i had my 8320 paired with the rx-480, csgo stays above 180 but studders alot.

well run DDU and reinstall drivers, run malwarebytes and check for malware and thats about it i think. you could check the windows event viewer to see if that hands you anything and if there are any fixes you can do to that. what you really should do is a reinstall though. back everything up, unplugg everything but your OS drive, format and reinstall

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

i switched from 4790k to R7 1700

Bildresultat för spongebob fish meme

why tho? im guessing you needed the extra threads but for gameing that makes NO sense.

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, JDE said:

Full specs?

r5 1600

(2x4 gb) 8gb corsair vengence lpx 2400mhz 

gigabyte ab350m gaming 3 motherboard

msi 4gb gaming x rx 480 (had from before the cpu upgrade)

500W psu i got no idea but i doubt it is the issue for games crashing now ( this originally was an ibuypower prebuilt from 5 years ago)

and i have a WB blue 1tb 72000rpm hard drive (WDC WD10EZEK-00 this is the boot drive)

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

why tho? im guessing you needed the extra threads but for gameing that makes NO sense.

Was thinking the same thing lollll

Going to ryzen 1700 from 4790k for gaming is a downgrade or if not, if its equal, then, its a waste of money unless you use the comp for other stuff.

9 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

That's the one!

i actually have that one bookmarked since i have both ryzen 1700 and 7700k build in little Node 202s :) i love the portable, and i sometimes get them mixed up so i have to put "ryzen 7" and "I7" stickers on them so i can tell them apart. on is for video editing/working with unity (i found unity likes more cores when rendering scenes and what not) and then intel one for gaming :)

25 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yeah no gaming lol i'm only on a 950 for that anyway, forget it

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

37 minutes ago, Marin said:

so you went in to remove and install drivers, or windows did it through an update?

no you need specialized software. windows doesn't do it for you and just deleting the few files you have access too doesn't really do anything. DDU is only for graphics drivers, i used a thing called driver magician

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

no you need specialized software. windows doesn't do it for you and just deleting the few files you have access too doesn't really do anything. DDU is only for graphics drivers, i used a thing called driver magician

ok, ill give it a try