Is it ok to use a vpn to download my already-purchased games on steam?

Theminecraftaddict555

Since I have some friends + siblings over my house, I don't want to bog down their internet while downloading a game i legally purchased from steam. So i want to use a vpn and use that to download my games without causing network slowdown. However, I heard that steam can ban you for doing such a thing, is that true?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

5 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Since I have some friends + siblings over my house, I don't want to bog down their internet while downloading a game i legally purchased from steam. So i want to use a vpn and use that to download my games without causing network slowdown. However, I heard that steam can ban you for doing such a thing, is that true?

Using a VPN shouldn't alleviate the network at all..?

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

4 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

and you can use steam's built in bandwith limiter?

What do you think is a prefferred bandwidth limit i should use when there are several people using the internet? Or is that really dependent on my type of internet?

2 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

What do you think is a prefferred bandwidth limit i should use when there are several people using the internet? Or is that really dependent on my type of internet?

I would set it to half your total speed if your download speed is 20 megabits or higher

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

How is using VPN going to help with your internet speed?

Maybe not downloading while they were there?

In the last paragraph of Part 3A of Steam's subscriber agreement, it mentions using proxies for any reason is against TOS.

You'll see no benefit to using one - in fact, you'd see a performance loss.

As for what speed restriction you should use - go to testmy.net/

Click "Test My Internet" in the top right, then "Combined".

I'd say set the download limit to ~%20 of the download bandwidth that the test gave you.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

To set the download limit in Steam, go to the "Steam" button in the top left, then to the "Settings" Tab.

In the pop-up, click "Downloads", then go over to "Limit Bandwidth" and set it to whatever you want.

7 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

In the last paragraph of Part 3A of Steam's subscriber agreement, it mentions using proxies for any reason is against TOS.

You'll see no benefit to using one - in fact, you'd see a performance loss.

As for what speed restriction you should use - go to testmy.net/

Click "Test My Internet" in the top right, then "Combined".

I'd say set the download limit to ~%10 of the download bandwidth that the test gave you.

So my download limit is about 50.3 mbps..So then i should use whatever is half or 10 percent of that?

4 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

So my download limit is about 50.3 mbps..So then i should use whatever is half or 10 percent of that?

Setting it to the 1.5 MB option would let you use ~25% of the bandwidth. If the others are only browsing the internet (no videos, no online games, etc,)- you may want to bump it up to 3MB (50%).