how to play an 8k video on youtube without lag?

fast internet

decent GPU

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, echy said:

time travel to the future

I remember a time when people were wondering how to play 4k and 360 videos without lag

Get a better connection and/or pc.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But why?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

I remember a time when people were wondering how to play 4k and 360 videos without lag

*sitting here with 3mbps watching 720p videos*

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

First up, youe internet needs to be up to snuff, second, your gpu needs to be capable of it. 

Some gpus might not even support it 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1. Get a 1080 ti
  2. Get a Threadripper 1950x
  3. 1500w psu cuz why not
  4. Spend 5 grand on an 8k monitor
  5. Get gigabit fiber optics run to your house
  6. Watch choppy 8k video
  7. Profit

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1.) You open the video

2.) You pause the video

3.) You wait few years for your shit internet to buffer-load it

4.) Play the video

Some video cards (GTX 1070 and higher I think) can play h264 8K in hardware, without using your processor. I think VP9 can also be decoded in hardware but I'm not sure.... and if it is, I doubt 8K is possible. VP9 is more complex and harder to decode videos with fixed function decoders that are built into video cards.

As far as I know, Polaris and Vega are limited to 4K h264 decoding in hardware (they can play multiple 4k h264 streams in hardware, sort of... let's say they can do 120fps at 4K so you can either run 2 x 4K 60fps in parallel or 4x4K 30fps)  and VP9 is hybrid decoded (partially in video card, partially in driver using CPU)

So your browser has to download the video fast enough and then pass it to the video card to be hardware decoded, or the cpu has to decode it. Then, the browser has to resize the big image to fit in the 1920x1080 or whatever size your browser window (or monitor when in full screen) has.

Youtube will serve the video in various formats, and will auto pick the best it thinks, but will most often default to VP9 which is not hardware decoded by lots of cards at that resolution. They use VP9 because they can retain a bit more quality in lower amount of bitrate (MB/s that you download) compared to h264

There's plugins for Firefox and maybe other browsers which can force Youtube to skip VP9 videos and fall back to h264 videos (that may be decoded in hardware by your video card) and then videos could be smoother.

BUT... I suspect Youtube will simply not offer an 8K version in h264 for those videos and just suggest 4K or 6K at best with h264.

Here's for example what the Firefox extension I use lists for Ghost Towns 8K (below) :

I've configured the extension to not list formats I don't care about like mp3 96 kbps audio, ogg vorbis, 360p video formats in h263 (flash, pre-h264 etc) :

youtube.jpg.0a2fe8fb1d8b51803a9a0bd845aed8a9.jpg

As you can see, 8K is offered only as WEBM (VP9) and the actual size is smaller than 4K format (they use less bitrate for 8K compared to 4K version)... in theory the 4K version should be visually better, at least for this video.

The extension i use is YouTube Video and Audio Downloader by inBasic but it's removed from the add-ons now and it's marked as Legacy in my Firefox.

I think they're re-making using the new plugin format but I like this old one, as long as it's in my profile hopefully Firefox won't delete/disable it.

1 hour ago, echy said:

What is your internet speed? http://speedtest.net http://speedof.me

And what are your PC's specs?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

• 2 years later...

Any news about this? I have an i7 4470 and a GTX 1080. Surely this should be playing 8K youtube videos without lag, right? Internet conection: 500Mbit.

• 4 weeks later...

8k 60fps still not working. 8k 30fps is somewhat watchable.

My hardware: Ryzen 7 3700x RTX 2080

Works lot smoother in chrome, unwatchable on firefox.

I do have extra bandwith (49M real-world symmetric speed), but the playback isn't fully saturating it.

It isn't even utilizing single core fully, playback seems multithreaded with 75% total load on all cores.

Honestly, I have no idea. I think it's a bug. I tried also this on my 32 core intel E5-2667 v2 server with rx vega 64 and same issue.

Try various browsers. Even if they are based on two or three engines, you may notice some improvement. It's not even CPU or GPU problem. The same video, even with better bitrate, can be played very smooth on low end PC with medium graphics card using players like PotPlayer or GOM Player. The same video on YouTube with crappy bitrate can be laggy. Welcome to the modern times, where websites (browsers) are more demanding than complex software.

*** Thread locked ***

Please refrain from reviving old threads. This one is from 2017.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv