Samsung boss & heir Lee Jae-yong jailed for corruption

Master Disaster

The de facto boss of Samsung has been convicted of accepting bribes and will serve time in prison

A court in South Korea has sentenced Samsung's billionaire heir-apparent Lee Jae-yong to five years in prison for corruption.

Mr Lee was accused of bribery in a scandal that also saw the impeachment of South Korea's former president.

The case has gripped the public amid growing anger against South Korea's biggest companies, known as chaebols.

Mr Lee has been in custody since February and has always denied the charges of bribery, embezzlement and hiding assets

Mr Lee, who denied all charges, had faced a jail sentence of up to 12 years.

Also known as Jay Y Lee, the de facto head of the world's largest smartphone maker had been detained since February on a string of corruption charges.

These included including bribery, embezzlement and hiding assets overseas.

The 49-year-old was accused of giving donations worth 41bn won ($36m; £29m) to non-profit foundations operated by Choi Soon-sil, a friend of South Korea's former President Park Geun-hye, in return for political favours.

Prosecutors alleged that the donations were made to Ms Park's confidante to win government support for a big restructuring of Samsung that would strengthen Mr Lee's control over Samsung Electronics.

His lawyers are already working on his appeal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41033568

I wonder how this will affect the company in the long term? I guess this proves just how corrupt the elites of society really can be.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Samsung is corrupt beyond belief, anyone here in Korea knows that for sure. It's been freaking years that people insisted he should be jailed, though I won't be surprised if he bails out about a year later... as it always had been the case.

[New in the U.S.]

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

GPU: ASRock RX 5500 XT 4GB

RAM: OLOy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4

PSU: Corsair CX450 450W 80 Plus Bronze

SSD: SK hynix Gold S31 500GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM006

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A RGB

Monitor: 2x Asus VA24EHE 23.8" 75Hz IPS Adaptive Sync Eye Care Monitors

[Old in my home country]

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X

GPU: MSI RX 580 8GB OC

RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4

PSU: SuperFlower SF-500P14XE GOLDEN GREEN HX

SSD: Samsung EVO 860 250GB

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TC

Monitor: 2x LG 24MK600MW 75Hz IPS FreeSync Monitors

27 minutes ago, TaxxiDriver said:

Samsung is corrupt beyond belief, anyone here in Korea knows that for sure. It's been freaking years that people insisted he should be jailed, though I won't be surprised if he bails out about a year later... as it always had been the case.

That's the bad thing on having one huge company supporting the country's economy. The government can't really take the company down because Samsung is just too important to South Korea. If Samsung does go down the situation in South Korea won't be any better than the US after the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

12 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

That's the bad thing on having one huge company supporting the country's economy. The government can't really take the company down because Samsung is just too important to South Korea. If Samsung does go down the situation in South Korea won't be any better than the US after the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers.

Well said, bro. I doubt if this country can manage to solve this problem...

[New in the U.S.]

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

GPU: ASRock RX 5500 XT 4GB

RAM: OLOy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4

PSU: Corsair CX450 450W 80 Plus Bronze

SSD: SK hynix Gold S31 500GB

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A RGB

Monitor: 2x Asus VA24EHE 23.8" 75Hz IPS Adaptive Sync Eye Care Monitors

[Old in my home country]

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X

GPU: MSI RX 580 8GB OC

RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4

PSU: SuperFlower SF-500P14XE GOLDEN GREEN HX

SSD: Samsung EVO 860 250GB

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TC

Monitor: 2x LG 24MK600MW 75Hz IPS FreeSync Monitors

I know it's hard since they make lots of good things like SSDs, displays, phones, VRAM, etc. but you can avoid buying their things if you try.

This isn't the only problem with this company.  They also treat their employees terribly 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 hours ago, TaxxiDriver said:

Perhaps but if he does any time at all is already a far cry from similarly rich corporation heads in America for example.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I know it's hard since they make lots of good things like SSDs, displays, phones, VRAM, etc. but you can avoid buying their things if you try.

This isn't the only problem with this company.  They also treat their employees terribly 

They also make SoCs for companies like Apple and Qualcomm.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It's funny how some people will rail against the evils of Apple... and promptly run into the arms of Samsung, a company that makes Apple look squeaky clean by comparison.  I suspect that if some people really knew how Samsung has behaved, they'd smash their Galaxy phones against the wall and buy something else.  Not necessarily iPhones, but HTC or Sony would seem like a bastion of integrity.

And in a year or two "Samsung moving factories to China" and South Korea has a job shortage problem.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

10 minutes ago, thunar said:

im curious....does apple still hire children to assemble phones?

Almost certainly given their profit margin per phone

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Sadly this isn't too surprising. How long till he gets out of jail with corruption as well. :P

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Let's slow down a little bit, this is a first degree sentence, appeals exist for a reason.

2 hours ago, thunar said:

Not directly but there's no telling what foxconn does to produce the phones.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Almost certainly given their profit margin per phone

Apple themselves obviously won't do so. Foxconn may do so depending on laws and contractual agreements. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

meh, probably already has a 5 star room setup in the prison he'll be sent. At least he'll receive some well needed vacations 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Apple themselves obviously won't do so. Foxconn may do so depending on laws and contractual agreements. 

Directly or indirectly you don't get profit margins like that with ethical manufacturing processes, not that it really matters all of these companies are scum once they reach these levels of power human nature is dark after all hence why I never trust those with power.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

11 hours ago, thunar said:

Apple doesn't.  Foxconn has been accused of it, but as I recall Apple actually pressured Foxconn into stricter oversight of working conditions (including who works there).  Apple publishes periodic labor reports if you're wondering about its progress (or lack thereof).

Also, remember that the Android phone you buy, the Windows PC you buy and the console you buy were likely made under similar conditions as Apple products, in some cases by the same manufacturer.  People like to cling to the notion that only Apple makes products using low-cost Chinese labor, and that their Samsung Galaxy Note or Dell XPS was made by some well-paid person working 40-hour weeks with breaks for hot cocoa and massages.  The truth, however, is very different.

Conditions are improving, but your beef isn't with Apple, it's with Chinese manufacturing standards.