XPS 15 or Precision 5520 Workstation (dell)

Hey again , my favourite forum community!

So im in the market for a shiny new laptop and was about to pull the trigger on a nice dell xps15 8gb model.... until I saw the sale on the Precision 5520 Workstation. (Note: i am going to be using this laptop for content creation such as video editing, programming, light 3drendering, and photoshop!)

Im talking close to 1000$ dollars of the initial price tag!

Please help !!! (links)
Workstation: http://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/laptops-ultrabooks/precision-5520-workstation/spd/precision-15-5520-laptop/xctop5520hwca

XPS15: http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-laptops-netbooks-and-tablets/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9560-laptop/nxps159560_bt_s1610e

Another question.. Im not planning on really using 4k, would down scaling my res on the laptop to 1080p look bad! just a thought!

Thanks for everything, 

Bryan!

You do realize the precision dosent have a GPU and only a i5 whereas the XPS has a i7 and GTX 1050 for the same price.Isn't it obvious

My life

Honestly kinda hard to decide they both look very similar. On the workstation on do you think that you would be able to upgrade components yourself?

The 4000 one has a quadro

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

You do realize the precision dosent have a GPU and only a i5 whereas the XPS has a i7 and GTX 1050 for the same price.Isn't it obvious

You can get it with a mobile Quadro..

6 minutes ago, Himommies said:

it has a quadro ....

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

I got the XPS 15 a couple days ago as a warranty replacement for a broken MSI and the build quality and screen (oh lord the screen) are unlike anything I've ever seen before. It's definitely enough for your workload, and given that the XPS has a GPU and better specs for the same price I'm not sure why you'd go with the precision

again it has a quadro

Just now, thrilledtear said:

it has a quadro ....

it's 130 extra for the quadro

My life

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

I got the XPS 15 a couple days ago as a warranty replacement for a broken MSI and the build quality and screen (oh lord the screen) are unlike anything I've ever seen before. It's definitely enough for your workload, and given that the XPS has a GPU and better specs for the same price I'm not sure why you'd go with the precision

It has more hardware and security options.

1 minute ago, thrilledtear said:

again it has a quadro

Intel HD Graphics

Included in price

Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5

+ $130.00

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Intel HD Graphics

Included in price

Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5

+ $130.00

assuming the quadro is opted for 

Just now, thrilledtear said:

assuming the quadro is opted for 

but that makes it more expensive for a approximate gpu. plus it's still a i5

My life

16 minutes ago, Himommies said:

it's 130 extra for the quadro

Actually, it's an extra $500 or so, because you cannot have the quadro with the i5 CPU. To make it roughly the same spec as the same XPS 15 that @thrilledtear linked to, you'd have to upgrade the HDD to an NVMe SSD as well. By the time you match the specs as best you can, you're looking at $700 more in total.

As for what I'd buy, well, that's easy, and maybe a bit biased: The XPS 15 9560, of course. I just received mine about 2 months ago with the i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, GTX1050, 1080p non-touch display, and larger 97WHr battery. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I also do light video editing, hobby photography, casual gaming like Overwatch or RTS games, and wanted something similar to my older 2012 15 inch MacBook Air (made by Samsung) so I figured this would be a nice upgrade to the 2017 MacBook Pro (made by Dell) that Apple never made.

http://www.dell.com/en-ca/member/shop/dell-laptops-netbooks-and-tablets/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9560-laptop/nxps159560_bt_s1608e

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)