I can't make decisions.....

So I recently got a bonus at work and have some spare cash to play with.  I was thinking about upgrading my aging headset, upgrading to coffee lake when it releases (my guess is sept 16-25th for release cough cough).  Was debating upgrading my AIO to a custom watercooling setup.  I also was thinking of grabbing a really nice 1440p 144hz ips gaming monitor.  Was also debating grabbing some new fans, maybe RGB and or some case lighting.  Honestly, I don't know what the hell I should upgrade lol.  I was also debating grabbing another 850 pro 512gb to put into raid 0.

Here is my current setup.

Case - Corsair Obsidian 900D

Processor - 4790k O/C 4.5

Video Card - Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming Edition

Storage - Samsung 850 pro 512gb, Crucial M4 256gb, WD 500GB 7200rpm HDD

Ram - Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb aka 16gb DDR3 2400mhz

Power Supply - Corsair TX750V2 (works great still)

Motherboard - Asus Maximus VII Hero

Monitor - Asus VG248QE 144hz 1920x1080 TN Panel

Cooling - NZXT Kraken X61 (older model, not the new x62), 3 120mm corsair case fans, 4 scythe ultra kaze 120mm 3000rpm fans, 2 nzxt 140mm fans for the radiator and 2 140mm corsair fans for the radiator in a push/pull config

Mouse - Logitech G502 RGB (Recently purchased, not looking to change it)

Keyboard - Razer Black Widow Ultimate (Believe its the 2014 edition, works great, don't see a reason to upgrade it.)

Mouse Pad - QCK+ (I will probably buy another one just because they are cheap and I get ashes on mine, spill things on it, etc)

Surround Sound - Logitech Z906 (works well for me, don't need to upgrade it)

Web Cam - Logitech C920 (Don't need to upgrade it)

Headset - Steelseries Siberia V2 (Getting old, mic cuts out occasionally, it's getting finicky, wanting to replace)

Chair - La-Z-Boy Nexus Office Chair (Absolutely love this chair, it's extremely comfortable and I highly recommend it to anyone!)

I don't have a nice microphone, but I don't have an absolute need for one.  I bought my wife a blue yeti and man does that thing pick up EVERYTHING.  I can't set a can on my desk without the mic picking it up haha.

TLDR: I am wanting new shiny things but don't know what to buy.

Budget - In total I don't want to spend more than 800ish for everything I buy.  I could spend up to a thousand if need be, but I would really like to stay between 800-900 dollars.

Any help in suggesting what I should buy or upgrade would be really really appreciated.  I put this under general because there are a ton of different routes/options I am open in going towards.  I don't mind blowing it all on a monitor, or half on water cooling and half on other things.  Just looking for some opinions and options.  Thanks again!

Your setup is absolutely fine, but since you got 2 ssds anyways you should sell off the 500gb hdd and transfer all data to a new ssd (500gb or above).

Headset should be replaced with a headphone and mic combo thats decent but in your range.

5 minutes ago, Mystery-Gears said:

Your setup is absolutely fine, but since you got 2 ssds anyways you should sell off the 500gb hdd and transfer all data to a new ssd (500gb or above).

Headset should be replaced with a headphone and mic combo thats decent but in your range.

I know the setup is "fine", but I always want the latest and greatest things lol.  I forgot to post my monitor, I will edit the above oops.  I actually don't use that much storage, mainly just to hold games, music and movies.  I was debating grabbing another 512gb 850 pro, but then again nvme drives are becoming really common and popular and my board won't be able to support that fully, so I will need to wait until I get a coffee lake board and processor to do that.

As far as the headset and mic, I have been reading up so much on headsets and I just can't make a decision.  I absolutely love the steelseries brand and from one of the reviews I read, the siberia 350's are great for the price.  I would probably grab that, and a blue yeti just so the wife doesn't have one up on me haha.  I would only use the headphones/headset for gaming so I don't need a 400 dollar pair of cans or anything like that.  But if there is something else out for say 150 bucks that is just mind blowing better than those, I would be more than happy to look into them.  I know steelseries has a new line called Arctics, but I honestly can't tell from reviews if they are better than the 350's or not.

But I do agree, getting more storage would be nice.  Even if it's another 850 pro, or a large 2-4TB hard drive, that would be useful for me.  Especially since I format once or twice a month.  It would be so much easier to just make a clone of the drive and then store it on one of the back ups.

I would get a new monitor 24"is really small IMO.

Do you do a lot of cpu intensive tasks? If you don't, I don't see the benefit of upgrading.

@Principis I do a lot of gaming, but I am getting more and more into content creation.  Streaming on twitch, video editing, rendering etc.  So the extra cores would really help with that.  I would absolutely love a new monitor, I don't think I want a dual monitor setup though, especially with my current desk (which I love).  It's just with the massive Corsair 900D being on the desk (where I can see and enjoy it), I don't have room for 2 monitors.  What monitor would you recommend?  I would like to upgrade from 1080p and possibly to GSYNC.  I would also really like to get away from the crappy TN colors and get a nice IPS panel if it was within budget.  I was looking at the PG279Q but there are A LOT of bad reviews on it which has me worried.  It's also expensive as hell, granted I am sure I could recoup some of the cost by selling my monitor.  Feel free to toss me out some monitor recommendations though, I just really don't want to go back to 60hz as I love playing FPS like CS:GO (even though I haven't played in awhile).

4790k is still very relevant (our builds are actually pretty similar, down to the mouse and monitor)

Honestly for gaming you (most likely)wont notice a big difference between a 4790k and an 8700K. This being said, if you do any programming work of any kind, the theoretical 11% bump in single thread performance, and an extra 2c/4t will go a long way in terms of productivity.

Also if youre looking for a full headset around $150, (the admitedly fanboy in me) cant help but suggest the Sennheiser G4me One's, or for an even better price the massdrop edition PC37X (only available until the end of today though)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@TVwazhere For some reason, I don't know why...I have also kind of been a Sennheiser fanboy, but I have never owned any of there products to my knowledge lol.  I watched a review on the g4me one versus the new...GSP 300 I think it was called.  The g4me one seemed to have a much much louder microphone, but they said the GSP 300 was all around a better headset and that you should just boost the volume in windows for the microphone.  I am tempted to get a blue yeti, pop filter and a nice headset so maybe I should stay away from a gaming headset.  From what I have read throughout forums is that "gaming headsets suck", but I think that is kinda bs.  My opinion is that different headsets are tuned for different things, whether it be for music or gaming.  As long as I can hear foot steps crystal clear in cs:go so I still get accused of wall hacking, I will be extremely happy with whatever headset I choose lol.  If you had to pick a headset that didn't have a mic, at a 200 and under budget, what would you go with brother?

Just now, fastamdman said:

@TVwazhere For some reason, I don't know why...I have also kind of been a Sennheiser fanboy, but I have never owned any of there products to my knowledge lol.  I watched a review on the g4me one versus the new...GSP 300 I think it was called.  The g4me one seemed to have a much much louder microphone, but they said the GSP 300 was all around a better headset and that you should just boost the volume in windows for the microphone.  I am tempted to get a blue yeti, pop filter and a nice headset so maybe I should stay away from a gaming headset.  From what I have read throughout forums is that "gaming headsets suck", but I think that is kinda bs.  My opinion is that different headsets are tuned for different things, whether it be for music or gaming.  As long as I can hear foot steps crystal clear in cs:go so I still get accused of wall hacking, I will be extremely happy with whatever headset I choose lol.  If you had to pick a headset that didn't have a mic, at a 200 and under budget, what would you go with brother?

Well I'll tell you what I'd go with, because I already went with the G4me One for my PS4! :D my main rig uses a blue yeti on a shock mount and boom arm, and I'm using Sennheiser HD6xx's hooked to an dac/amp, but all of that is more complicated and expensive than it needs to be (I dont even stream, yet). For the most part the blue yeti is a great mic but is a bit expensive for all it's feature sets, is hard to find a good shock mount and boom arm that can hold it's weight and has a lot of modes I dont even use (headphone passthrough which was useful at one point but isnt anymore, bi directional, omni directional pickup paterns, etc. I just stick to cardioid)

Most gaming headsets do suck! But there are a few exceptions to the rule, even for audiophiles, and this is one of them. Of course, theres also the option of getting a good pair of regular headphones and using a ModMic, which sounds just as good as the cardioid mic built into the Sennheiser headsets but has the advantage of being put onto any headphone you so desire.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@TVwazhere I don't really want to go the mod mic route.  If I am going to invest money into a mic, it will be the blue yeti.  I absolutely love my wifes blue yeti, so if I go with a separate headphone/mic combo it will be with the blue yeti 100% for sure.  I just can't decide between a gaming headset like the gsp 300's or g4me one's, or something like the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO or The Sennheiser HD598's or 600 series.

30 minutes ago, fastamdman said:

@Principis I do a lot of gaming, but I am getting more and more into content creation.  Streaming on twitch, video editing, rendering etc.  So the extra cores would really help with that.  I would absolutely love a new monitor, I don't think I want a dual monitor setup though, especially with my current desk (which I love).  It's just with the massive Corsair 900D being on the desk (where I can see and enjoy it), I don't have room for 2 monitors.  What monitor would you recommend?  I would like to upgrade from 1080p and possibly to GSYNC.  I would also really like to get away from the crappy TN colors and get a nice IPS panel if it was within budget.  I was looking at the PG279Q but there are A LOT of bad reviews on it which has me worried.  It's also expensive as hell, granted I am sure I could recoup some of the cost by selling my monitor.  Feel free to toss me out some monitor recommendations though, I just really don't want to go back to 60hz as I love playing FPS like CS:GO (even though I haven't played in awhile).

I currently have a cheap 27" samsung monitor but I'm going to buy a LG 34UC99 next month. I don't know much about monitors.

Maybe the new LG 34UC89G if you want a ultrawide? Edit: Sorry didn't see that you want higher res...

@Principis The LG 34UC99 isn't a high refresh rate monitor so it wouldn't be good for the type of gaming I do.  It's also not supported by gsync so it wouldn't be good for the gtx 1080 I am using either.  I've never used an ultrawide monitor before, but the LG 34UC79G-B is getting closer to my requirements.  It's 144hz, IPS and 1440p.  Only downside is it's free sync instead of G Sync.  I will have to read the reviews and look more into it though.  I don't think it would be to bad for content creation or gaming.  If I could find one that had good reviews and was g sync around that price point there is a very high chance I would go for it.  I absolutely love my current 144hz 1080p TN panel, but the colors just aren't as vibrant as they should be in my opinion.  I've tried different ICC profiles and color profiles, but for some reason nothing "wows" me with it.  Maybe stepping up to something like that would.

Edit: Nevermind the 34UC79-B is still 1080p.  I would really like to step up to 1440p.  I feel as if I am going to upgrade my monitor I should upgrade the resolution as well, especially since the system can handle it.

@fastamdman

I have a 1080 too but there isn't any 4k ultrawide with G-sync except for the asus PG348Q and the acer X34A but I don't have enough money for them...

I can't find anything that meets your requirements but I live in Belgium and I don't know where to look for you.

That Asus you mentioned earlier sounds good, the only bad thing I could find in the reviews is IPS glow which is annoying.

Sorry, I can't help you.

@Principis I am not looking for 4k.  I am looking for 1440p.  The step in between 1080p and 4k.  4k is 3840x2160.  I am just wanting 2560x1440.

7 minutes ago, fastamdman said:

@Principis I am not looking for 4k.  I am looking for 1440p.  The step in between 1080p and 4k.  4k is 3840x2160.  I am just wanting 2560x1440.

Yes I know. Sorry my posts are a mess :/

Does this help? (I was looking on websites in my country because stores in the USA are terrible IMO, it's really different over here.)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100160979 600559797 600012694

Edit: I mean, I don't know how to search on websites over there not that you should buy from here because that's not even possible...

@Principis Slightly.  There are really only 3 panels that I see, and I believe they are all using the same screens.  It would be the Acer Predator XB271HU, ASUS ROG PG279Q and the ViewSonic XG2703-GS.  All of these monitors have had black light issues, color issues, dead pixels, etc etc.  The reviews for them on amazon are just terrible when you look at some of the pictures.  I really don't want to RMA 3 monitors just to get one that is "acceptable" but that still isn't perfect.  If I'm spending 700-800 on a monitor, I expect it to be perfect personally.

@Principis Slightly.  There are really only 3 panels that I see, and I believe they are all using the same screens.  It would be the Acer Predator XB271HU, ASUS ROG PG279Q and the ViewSonic XG2703-GS.  All of these monitors have had black light issues, color issues, dead pixels, etc etc.  The reviews for them on amazon are just terrible when you look at some of the pictures.  I really don't want to RMA 3 monitors just to get one that is "acceptable" but that still isn't perfect.  If I'm spending 700-800 on a monitor, I expect it to be perfect personally.

Agreed, that's why I personally only look for Dell, LG and maybe Samsung. As I said, sorry I can't help you... :/ 

@Principis All is well, I appreciate the help :)  I am pretty happy with my current asus 144hz 1080p panel now, but I was debating upgrading it....or anything else.  I just want to upgrade SOMETHING as a gift to myself for all the hard work I put in this week.

@Principis All is well, I appreciate the help :)  I am pretty happy with my current asus 144hz 1080p panel now, but I was debating upgrading it....or anything else.  I just want to upgrade SOMETHING as a gift to myself for all the hard work I put in this week.

Maybe a new headset then?

Or just wireless headphones (or with cable) and a mic.

IMO a good set of headphones is the best thing you could buy but I have this thing almost anytime of the day on my head.

I should stop suggesting things, other people are better than me at this. :)

@Principis  Haha all is well man, I appreciate the offers.  I was discussing headsets with another member above.  I am leaning towards a blue yeti microphone as they are very popular and sound absolutely amazing.  I am going to purchase a good pair of headphones for gaming, I just have to read more and more and more and figure out which ones.  If enough people chime in and agree that X headphone would be the best bet for gaming, that is what I will go with.  I generally just use my surround sound for daily tasks, but when I am gaming I need a very clear and precise headset.

Well one thing I decided on for sure was gigabit internet service lol.  Other then that I still haven't decided what I am going to upgrade.  I did find a second 1080 for 450 dollars (they would probably take 400) and debated on grabbing that as well.  I hate how indecisive I can be at times...