Corsair 350d modded for ATX/MATX

Hi guys, don't post much on the forums but constantly keep track with Linus and Slick on Youtube.

Thought I would share a recent mod I've been working on for just over a week now as there are a lot of people that enjoy the 350d case. The project was to fit an ATX board into the 350d for a future build (once the rampage IV extreme black edition lands). Here are the results, enjoy.

Any questions just ask, I'll see what I can do to answer them.

CAD/Template files available on request also.

Before the mod

DSC_0015.JPG

350dCaseModCC.png

Thats pretty cool, could you put up some more pictures of it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

really nice mod i think the case should of been atx in the first place its to big for m-atx anyway really want to see more pics and finished build please post more :)

thats actually a really clever case layout are there atx cases available like this? i'd buy one 

really nice mod i think the case should of been atx in the first place its to big for m-atx anyway really want to see more pics and finished build please post more :)

Thanks, I agree although small the 350d is larger than a good few ATX cases. Once the rampage IV BE board is out the build log can start.

Asus have slightly screwed me over with that board as they are sending very limited stock into Europe. Some places getting only 2 or 3 boards before Christmas.

Thats pretty cool, could you put up some more pictures of it.

Getting hold of a DSLR camera soon so shall take more pictures then however do have a few images of the rear backplate that was made to cover in the PSU hole and add the extra PCI-e slots.

IMG_0465.jpg

thats actually a really clever case layout are there atx cases available like this? i'd buy one 

Cheers, the only case I know of that features the front PSU with pass through cable is the Silverstone SG09/10 however that is also MATX.

That is excellent, nice job there.

Thanks, rather pleased how the paint matched to the stock case. Top is the removed PSU bracket section and below is the new one.

IMG_0468.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

That's exactly the mod I've been wanting to do myself! Where did you get the PCI slot + IEC plate? Was it a custom job? if it was custom would you mind sharing your fabrication tips?

Nice cant wait to see the finished project.  Always wanted a ATX 350D

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since this thread was last updated, however you'll be glad to know (Asus shipping issues aside) the 350D mod is complete.

Upgraded from the gtx 680 to a 780ti during the build, so won't be making full use of the extra slots quite yet, but this case will last me for any future upgrades.

Installing the 240mm radiator up top proved a major challenge due to the already limited space. There is less than a millimeter between the 8pin plugs and the fans.

Fortunately there is 2mm clearance between the bottom of the fans and the blades.

Custom length cables and sleeving was also undertaken as it was the only way to keep the bulk behind the rear panel to a minimum due to the position of the PSU. Not to mention the black and grey helped finish it all off.

And finally some images of the build.

IMG_5658.png

IMG_5659.png

IMG_5660.png

IMG_5661.png

• 3 weeks later...

Makes me almost wish I did this lol

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Where did you buy that passthrough cable for your psu, do you have a name, brand or article number for me? Or did you make it yourself? I'm looking for one for a month now and I was almost at the point of making one myself (although I'm a bit scared of 230V :P)

Anyway nice mod!

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Pretty cool man but you need more noctua's ;)

• 1 month later...

Where did you buy that passthrough cable for your psu, do you have a name, brand or article number for me? Or did you make it yourself? I'm looking for one for a month now and I was almost at the point of making one myself (although I'm a bit scared of 230V :P)

Anyway nice mod!

Hey man, haven't posted in a while but the cable was hand made unfortunately.

I've had envious eyes on the cables used in the ncase m1 and silverstone sugo cases for sometime for that very reason.

One end is a IEC socket with a protective rubber sleeve over it. Then just a strip of normal power cord with a right angled IEC plug on the other end,  they are used for mounting flat screen tv's on walls.

The wires where just cut and twisted around with a bit of solder for good measure so nothing shorts out.

Ironically already got my eyes on the new MATX case from phanteks (Enthoo Evolv) and tempted to try a similar project out with that.

The offset radiator mounts would mean I'm no longer limited to a 30mm rad and the top panel is much cleaner and filtered. (my only issues with this case)

Hey man, haven't posted in a while but the cable was hand made unfortunately.

I've had envious eyes on the cables used in the ncase m1 and silverstone sugo cases for sometime for that very reason.

One end is a IEC socket with a protective rubber sleeve over it. Then just a strip of normal power cord with a right angled IEC plug on the other end,  they are used for mounting flat screen tv's on walls.

The wires where just cut and twisted around with a bit of solder for good measure so nothing shorts out.

Ironically already got my eyes on the new MATX case from phanteks (Enthoo Evolv) and tempted to try a similar project out with that.

The offset radiator mounts would mean I'm no longer limited to a 30mm rad and the top panel is much cleaner and filtered. (my only issues with this case)

Haha thanks for the reply. I already made a cable myself :D  I was looking for a way to cover the back of the socket on the back, but the rubber protection thing you used looks nice :) (check my buildlog for some pics if you want :) )

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Haha thanks for the reply. I already made a cable myself :D  I was looking for a way to cover the back of the socket on the back, but the rubber protection thing you used looks nice :) (check my buildlog for some pics if you want :) )

Very nice build you've got going there, if you were curious on how I mounted the AX 860, I used the holes that mount the 120mm fan in the AX860 and drilled holes into the case that lined up exactly.

Then remove the screws from the PSU hold it in place and screw through the case back into the PSU. So the case is now sandwiched between the PSU fan screws and the PSU it's self.

It might be possible to do it with the AX 1200i however you would need to install a plate in the drive bays to screw into. Saves the hassle of making a clip to hold the PSU.

Very nice build you've got going there, if you were curious on how I mounted the AX 860, I used the holes that mount the 120mm fan in the AX860 and drilled holes into the case that lined up exactly.

Then remove the screws from the PSU hold it in place and screw through the case back into the PSU. So the case is now sandwiched between the PSU fan screws and the PSU it's self.

It might be possible to do it with the AX 1200i however you would need to install a plate in the drive bays to screw into. Saves the hassle of making a clip to hold the PSU.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. First of all I'm not using a 1200i, it is to expensive and way too overkill (overkill is good on any part except for the psu imho :P). I'm going to mount the psu with screws going trough the top into the holes where the psu is normally secured with ;).

I still really like this mod. I think its something that corsair should actually consider doing retail.

Love this mod! Though the exhaust of PSU is a little limited with the side pannel, and if the hot air from the PSU goes to the other components, you might be sacrificing some degrees... Anyways great mod you have there! :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. First of all I'm not using a 1200i, it is to expensive and way too overkill (overkill is good on any part except for the psu imho :P). I'm going to mount the psu with screws going trough the top into the holes where the psu is normally secured with ;).

Ah it was just from your "paint skills" image, that made me think you were going with the AX1200i.

Love this mod! Though the exhaust of PSU is a little limited with the side pannel, and if the hot air from the PSU goes to the other components, you might be sacrificing some degrees... Anyways great mod you have there! :D

Thanks man, even though this build has been great. Got the modding itch again to start on a new project. 

Once Phanteks release the Evolv I'll be attemping to do a similar mod to it. Converting the MATX case for use with my current rampage black.

For those who haven't seen the Evolv yet.

phanteks-enthoo-evolv-inside.png

The best part is however the extra width will allow me to fit a full sized res and the offset top radiator mount will no longer limit me to a 30mm thick rad.

If I can find a smart place to put the powersupply (making use of the extra width), I'm thinking a 240mm rad in the front and a 280mm in the roof.

Just not enough rad space in the 350D to sustain the overclock and temps on a CPU + GPU's.

So in the Phanteks it will be a full GPU + CPU watercooling loop, possibly with hard tubing.

If there was a vent  near the drive case on the bottom of the case for 120mm fan  the PSU would get some good ventilation.