August 18, 2017 - The WAN Show Documents

Slick

Main News Topics

[UPDATE] Gamers Nexus Confirms Vega 64 Price Increase

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/823474-gamers-nexus-confirms-vega-64-price-increase/ OP: Staas

Source 2: http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3023-aib-partners-to-gn-yes-vega-price-will-change

• Post by Gibbo of Overclockers suggested that launch rebates and MDF would be expiring from AMD for Vega

• Would drive pricing upwards as retailers scramble to make a profit on the new GPU

• Launch pricing of Vega 64 was supposed to be $500, but shot up to $600 after selling out

• Gamers Nexus spoke to sources from different companies, and learned that the AMD rebate expiry and price jump is true

• AMD provided top retailers and etailers a $499 price on Vega 64, coupling card with rebate to reduce the spend

• Rebates were included as a means to encourage retailers to sell at a lower $499 price

Update

• AMD has released a statement regarding the supply issues of Vega

“Radeon RX Vega 64 demand continues to exceed expectations. AMD is working closely with its partners to address this demand. Our initial launch quantities included standalone Radeon RX Vega 64 at SEP of $499, Radeon RX Vega 64 Black Packs at SEP of $599, and Radeon RX Vega 64 Aqua Packs at SEP of $699. We are working with our partners to restock all SKUs of Radeon RX Vega 64 including the standalone cards and Gamer Packs over the next few weeks, and you should expect quantities of Vega to start arriving in the coming days.”

What’s Coming Out on Floatplane? Go Over Current Week.

Rapid Fire

More than 50 pirate websites to be blocked in Australia within Days

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/823914-more-than-50-pirate-websites-to-be-blocked-in-australia-within-days/ - Allycat

Source 2: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/technology/more-than-50-pirate-websites-to-be-blocked-in-australia-within-days/news-story/d049c070d9b0ef956dbdeb9e45d7ca4b?nk=908c5d262fd9551850abcf3a1f922461-1503092944

• More than 50 pirate websites illegally sharing movies and tv shows, will be blocked in Australia within days

• Anti-copyright theft group creative content australia went further and warned individual movie pirates would be next to face courts

• With plans to sue any australian who “continues to download pirated content”

• Move comes after the Federal Court ruled in favour of filmmakers and pay-tv provider in two separate cases yesterday

• Targeted internet service providers have 15 days to disable access to the online locations found to have been engaging in or facilitating infringement

• Creative Content Australia chairman Graham Burke said the new judgement would mean a total of 65 sites and 340 domains would be blocked in Australia

Intel Claims 8700k to be 11% Faster Than 7700k

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/823308-intel-8700k-11-faster-than-7700k/ - NumLock21

Source 2: https://videocardz.com/72112/intel-claims-i7-8700k-to-be-11-faster-than-7700k

• Hosting a training seminar for retailers in China for upcoming Coffee Lake 8th Gen Core series

• According to leaked slide, upcoming i7-8700K cpu will be 11% faster than 7700K in single threaded operations

• Slide also confirms that for the first time Intel will introduce quad-core i3 series and six-core i5 series

• Slide Picture

Apple going all-in on original programming, to the tune of $1 billion a year

Source 1: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/08/apple-reportedly-ready-to-spend-1-billion-on-original-content-next-year/

• Apple could procure and produce as many as 10 new shoes next year

• Their first original series “Planet of the Apps” and “Carpool Karaoke” just became available to Apple Music subscribers

• Critic reviews have been mixed

• $1 billion budget shows Apple is serious about boosting its original programming

• Netflix may spend $6 billion this year

Update gone wrong leaves 500 smart locks inoperable

Source 1: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/08/500-smart-locks-arent-so-smart-anymore-thanks-to-botched-update/

• Hundreds of internet connected locks became inoperable last week after a faulty software update

• Caused them to experience a fatal system error, manufacturer LockState said

• Mistake happened when LockState mistakenly sent some of their 6i lock models a firmware update designed for 7i locks

• Update left earlier 6i models locked and unable to receive over-the-air updates

• As of August 14th 85% of the affected customer issues had been resolved

NVIDIA’s Next-gen Volta gaming GPUs aren’t arriving anytime soon

Source 1: http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-next-gen-volta-gaming-gpus-arent-arriving-anytime-soon/

• Volta currently too costly to produce for consumers

• Jensen Huang said during an earnings call “Volta for gaming, we haven't announced anything. And all I can say is that our pipeline is filled with some exciting new toys for the gamers, and we have some really exciting new technology to offer them in the pipeline. But for the holiday season for the foreseeable future, I think Pascal is just unbeatable,”

Intel Coffee Lake CPUs will NOT be compatible with Z270 Chipset Motherboards Says ASRock

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/816360-intel-coffee-lake-cpus-will-not-be-compatible-with-z270-chipset-motherboards/ OP: Morgan MLGMan

Source 2: https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/08/02/intels-coffee-lake-cpus-not-compatible-with-z270-motherboards-says-asrock/&refURL=&referrer=#34766d7b76a2

• ASRock said this in a reply to someone on Twitter

• Tweet

•  

Maybe Americans don’t need fast home Internet service? FCC suggests

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/819696-fcc-determining-us-ips-dont-have-to-provide-hardline/

Source 2: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/08/maybe-americans-dont-need-fast-home-internet-service-fcc-suggests/

• Americans might not need a fast home internet connection, the FCC suggests in a new document

• Suggestion comes in the FCC’s annual inquiry into broadband availability

• Last year the FCC updated its analysis with a conclusion that Americans need home and mobile access

• Because home internet connections and smartphones have different capabilities and limitations, Americans should have access to both instead of just one or the other

• Ajit Pai now in charge, FCC wants to change the policy by declaring mobile broadband speeds of 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up is all one needs

• By doing this, FCC could conclude that broadband is already being deployed to all Americans in a reasonable and timely fashion

Galax HOF Chrome Plated DDR4

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/823502-galax-hof-ddr4/ - NumLock21

Source 2: https://www.techpowerup.com/236227/galax-hof-extreme-limited-edition-chrome-plated-ddr4-modules-now-available

• Extremely limited edition (50) available

• HOF Extreme Limited Edition

• Kit runs as speeds of 4133MHz

• Shipping date towards the end of the month

• Picture1

• Picture2

• Picture3

More People Than you think use Bing

Source 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/823811-more-people-than-you-might-think-use-bing/  - Porina

Source 2:  https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/08/bing-is-bigger-than-you-think-microsoft-boasts-at-33-of-us-searches/

• Bing became profitable in the third calendar quarter of 2015

• Microsoft tweeted that “Bing is bigger than you think” Bing Ads Tweet

• Company claims that fully one-third of searches in the US are powered by Bing

• Either directly or through Yahoo or AOL

• Strong markets include Taiwan at 24 or 26%, and the UK at either 23 or 25%

• Company is claiming a 9% market share

• Prysin on the LTT Forum commented “let me guess, they probably use it to search for chrome or firefox download upon fresh installs”

second post shitpost

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

9 minutes ago, JDE said:

second post shitpost

Well you finally pased me but I was camping so it wasnt fair 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

22 minutes ago, Slick said:

Ajit Pai now in charge, FCC wants to change the policy by declaring mobile broadband speeds of 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up is all one needs

I'll start preparing for the apocalypse. 

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

The mere fact that Linus is having trouble using a MacBook Pro's multi-touch trackpad means I have to take a grain of salt for his future MacBook reviews.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

@nicklmg Since the WAN show are sponsored by GFuel and Savage Jerky, I wonder if there's a coffee shop like Starbucks or a coffee brand like Folgers approched LMG for sponsorship? I know Starbucks will be unlikely to do any sponsorships but if in an unlikely event that they'll do, a Starbucks discount would be very cool. xD

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

i feel like i am missing something....
i can't find the wan show. could someone please direct me in the proper direction.
twitch? youtube?

i wish we could do an archive link on the forum.

1 minute ago, thejewcanoe said:

i feel like i am missing something....
i can't find the wan show. could someone please direct me in the proper direction.
twitch? youtube?

i wish we could do an archive link on the forum.

it will come, they haven't added the link yet.

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

so early not even a youtube link, but it did just end 20 minutes ago

an hour and not there yet...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

about time

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

58 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

I'll start preparing for the apocalypse. 

glad i live in canada :D

CRTC is like: um you have to install fibre and let other companies use it also you have to share your mobile network with virtual ISPs and virtual mobile providers and you have to

also you can't throttle the speeds

also you aren't allowed to use any AWS on things other than 4G (also 3G for some bands) unless your plans are really cheap 

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, Billy_Mays said:

Well you finally pased me but I was camping so it wasnt fair 

:D

i passed you because i used the power of redness

1 on 1 guide on how to use it available by pressing Command + Q or Ctrl + Q to send 2 nitrogen atoms

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

5 minutes ago, JDE said:

:D

i passed you because i used the power of redness

1 on 1 guide on how to use it available by pressing Command + Q or Ctrl + Q to send 2 nitrogen atoms

It doesnt matter that much to me 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

@LinusTech @Slick I would drink G-Fuel if they had a no food coloring option. Just saying.

A suggestion if I may, since you guys are doing maore and more guest hosts it might not be a bad idea to pan out and get a real desk/table to fit more than 2 people  ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This is the best wan show I've ever watched. I don't know why I said that.... but it just feels right. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

In the end (~49:00) when you speak so highly about packed up sw for nVidia GPUs,
I wonder if you DELIBERATELY forget to mention TELEMETRY, you forget talking about it in previous WAN show or there is something SHADY going on ... :/ :?

boycott the press events

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

15 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

@LinusTech @Slick I would drink G-Fuel if they had a no food coloring option. Just saying.

A suggestion if I may, since you guys are doing maore and more guest hosts it might not be a bad idea to pan out and get a real desk/table to fit more than 2 people  ...

Why. What's wrong with the coloring? 

5 hours ago, HimymCZe said:

In the end (~49:00) when you speak so highly about packed up sw for nVidia GPUs,
I wonder if you DELIBERATELY forget to mention TELEMETRY, you forget talking about it in previous WAN show or there is something SHADY going on ... :/ :?

You mean the stuff that isn't even running? The stuff you can turn off? The stuff that likely is used to diagnose issues with the driver? 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

The problem with streaming services is not having to remember all the logins.. or having 1 interface, thats an inconvenience but not a problem. It's the fuckin money involved. Now Disney will be charging 15.. 20 bucks per month, crApple will probably be 15 to 20,  HBO is 15,  Netflix is 10, Hulu is 10, this is 10, that is 10... by the time you are done you are damned near a cable bill if not exceeding one. Everyone trying to do the same thing differently is expensive, and the consumer is absolutely fucked as the content is pay walled. 

On 8/18/2017 at 6:57 PM, hey_yo_ said:

@nicklmg Since the WAN show are sponsored by GFuel and Savage Jerky, I wonder if there's a coffee shop like Starbucks or a coffee brand like Folgers approched LMG for sponsorship? I know Starbucks will be unlikely to do any sponsorships but if in an unlikely event that they'll do, a Starbucks discount would be very cool. xD

That would be pretty legit - I would use the crap out of a Starbucks discount code too :) 

Doubt that would happen, but never know about Folgers etc :P