PSU throttling? Furmark involved

Lord Nicoll
Go to solution Solved by werto165,

I would imagine it's the CPU being throttled as it has to send the instructions to the GPU. doubt it's the PSU. is the GPU at full utilization when cinebench is running? 

While testing just how much heat my current system can rid itself if, I used Furmark with a volt modded GTX 980, and Cinebench R15 (i7 7700k). I noticed the GPU temps dropped a lot from Cinebench running, was that just because the CPU was under a heavy load and so couldn't keep up the like 120 fps and thus GPU temps dropped or was the PSU making pulling back and the GPU detected that? I have an RM850x which really shouldn't be even close to the power limit (I'd say barely even near 550 watts under this load) 

Yours faithfully

I would imagine it's the CPU being throttled as it has to send the instructions to the GPU. doubt it's the PSU. is the GPU at full utilization when cinebench is running? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

2 minutes ago, werto165 said:

silly me, I forgot to check usage, that confirms what I thought it was (and dismisses what I feared it was) that just the CPU is under a load so can't send data to the GPU, thanks for reminding me, GPU usage dropped to around 40%

Yours faithfully