I think my CPU is degrading! Please help!

I used to be able to undervolt my i7 6800K with a -0.09 volt offset when I bought it about a year ago, but then it became unstable, so I have to now use a -0.075 volt offset to keep it stable. It also used to be able to score around 1,250 in Cinebench, but it now only scores 1,200. The frequency of the RAM and CPU is also the same. I did not think that computer hardware degraded gradually like that. I thought it either worked or didn't work. I am not sure why it would degrade. It was always water cooled with a custom loop, so therefore always runs very cool, it was never overclocked, and not usually ran very hard. Maybe it needs extra voltage for another reason, but I think it is slowly degrading. Please help!

Hmmmm. Could just be becoming more power hungry over time. You might call that degrading, but I don't think it's super serious. I completely understand your concern, especially because that's an expensive processor.

Just now, spacehamster said:

maybe its thermal throttling 

I don't think so:

6 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

It was always water cooled with a custom loop, so therefore always runs very cool, it was never overclocked, 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, spacehamster said:

maybe its thermal throttling 

The temp never exceeds 60 degrees, so it is not temp related.

overtime the silicon's quality is degrading and thus requiring higher Voltages to run stable, also the stock TIM between the die and IHS also looses a bit of cooling performance which causes higher temps over time and thus tends to lead to (more) instability

I'd say just give it the proper voltage it needs to sustain the lifetime of the chip, because you're only saving a little bit of power and saving a little bit of heat.

Just now, Tiwaz said:

overtime the silicon's quality is degrading and thus requiring higher Voltages to run stable, also the stock TIM between the die and IHS also looses a bit of cooling performance which causes higher temps over time and thus tends to lead to (more) instability

The silicon degrading is possible, but there is no TIM between the die and the IHS. It is soldered.

6 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

The silicon degrading is possible, but there is no TIM between the die and the IHS. It is soldered.

the bigger intel cpus are soldered, u right ?️

37 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

The temp never exceeds 60 degrees, so it is not temp related.

Stability is temperature related so maybe it went 1-2c up over time and even that can bork clocking up or down. Maybe try dusting your rads.

I wouldn't consider your Cinebench score valid unless you tested it on a clean system again in order to eliminate any software variables that have built up over the computer's lifetime.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

5 hours ago, Emberstone said:

I wouldn't consider your Cinebench score valid unless you tested it on a clean system again in order to eliminate any software variables that have built up over the computer's lifetime.

I just reinstalled Windows a few days ago and the Cinebench score was the same after the reinstall. But I just re ran Cinebench and I got 1,185. It doesn't make sense that performance would degrade gradually like that though. Linus tested a new and old GTX 480 and found that they perform the same. 

7 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

I just reinstalled Windows a few days ago and the Cinebench score is the same after the reinstall. It doesn't make sense that performance would degrade gradually like that though. Linus tested a new and  old GTX 480 and found that they perform the same. 

Exactly something else is not right 

6 hours ago, lexidobe said:

I used to be able to undervolt my i7 6800K with a -0.09 volt offset when I bought it about a year ago, but then it became unstable, so I have to now use a -0.075 volt offset to keep it stable. It also used to be able to score around 1,250 in Cinebench, but it now only scores 1,200. The frequency of the RAM and CPU is also the same. I did not think that computer hardware degraded gradually like that. I thought it either worked or didn't work. I am not sure why it would degrade. It was always water cooled with a custom loop, so therefore always runs very cool, it was never overclocked, and not usually ran very hard. Maybe it needs extra voltage for another reason, but I think it is slowly degrading. Please help!

A stock cpu under water should literally last 20 years lol.  Idk what is going on with the system but I can say that it isn't the cpu degrading 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Just now, Jumper118 said:

Exactly something else is not right 

A stock cpu under water should literally last 20 years lol.  Idk what is going on with the system but I can say that it isn't the cpu degrading 

I wonder if my CPU was not damaged when the VRMs on my X99 Deluxe went up in smoke. I would think that if it was damaged it would not work at all though. 

3 hours ago, lexidobe said:

I wonder if my CPU was not damaged when the VRMs on my X99 Deluxe went up in smoke. I would think that if it was damaged it would not work at all though. 

CPUs are sensitive beasts. Perhaps but a mere spike in volts caused slight damage or additional wear within certain components of the processor, causing instability.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, lexidobe said:

Thar would be a safe assumption.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430