A3 vs G5... vs G3

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm looking for an upgrade for my 2-year old Moto G3. I'm still on the budget side, and I like the Samsung A3 2017. No matter what people might think, 4.7 inches is for me the perfect screen size, and I think that even my G3 is too bulky. However, when I look at the specs I don't see a huge difference with my 2-year old device (correct me if I'm wrong) and I want to know if that's a good choice. The A3 does have a few nice features like NFC, USB-C and a gyroscope. Would the G5 be a better option? Here are the specs of all 3 devices : http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7247&idPhone2=8336&idPhone3=8454

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

the G5 is a very good phone overall, the reason why I personally prefer motorola over samsung is because of the clean software. however if you really hate big bulky phones then maybe it isn't really for you. 

I went from a G3 to a G5 and on a day to day basis there is not too much difference, the only thing I can say is the fingerprint scanner is a really nice feature to have use it every time to unlock, much more convenient than the pattern. I also really like the dual camera and I did occasionally get slow down on my G3 (i did have the 1GB of Ram model though) and the G5 does feel somewhat snappier with the better hardware.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Just now, stefanDB said:

the G5 is a very good phone overall, the reason why I personally prefer motorola over samsung is because of the clean software. however if you really hate big bulky phones then maybe it isn't really for you. 

Just now, Rupe said:

I went from a G3 to a G5 and on a day to day basis there is not too much difference, the only thing I can say is the fingerprint scanner is a really nice feature to have use it every time to unlock, much more convenient than the pattern. I also really like the dual camera and I did occasionally get slow down on my G3 (i did have the 1GB of Ram model though) and the G5 does feel somewhat snappier with the better hardware.

There's definitely something wrong with the G3. Mine is getting incredibly hot on normal use. I think that these devices weren't made to last this long (because for some example phone manufacturers think 2 years is lifetime). Also the fact that it hasn't been upgraded to Nougat makes me reluctant to buy new Motorola products. Oh my 1GB model gets ridiculously slow when it's hot, and Facebook has become almost unusable. Since day 01 it's been sluggish, even the flashlight takes a while to turn on.

The two people I recommend the Motorola G5 to, really love it. I recommended it because I am really happy with my own G4.

The thing I like better about Motorola (currently) over Samsung is its clean software and (from what I have experienced so far) good updates.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

The two people I recommend the Motorola G5 to, really love it. I recommended it because I am really happy with my own G4.

The thing I like better about Motorola (currently) over Samsung is its clean software and (from what I have experienced so far) good updates.

Bloatware is a definitely a Samsung thing.

I wanted to buy G5 Plus but it was out of stock so I got G5 10 days ago and I am really pleased with it. 

Display is great, almost stock android runs really smooth , good battery life for it size and dissent images.

Fingerprint reader works in most cases, build quality good and removable battery is plus.

I do not game on phone, but just for test installed Asphalt and while it run it OK but it was getting bit hot

after a while. Here is really warm summer so not sure if that influenced much.

For Samsung phones I can not say much, generally I do not like them and never get it into consideration.    

I wouldn't get the G5 unless it comes with a full warranty. Boot looping issues. It also gets horrendous battery life, and the in hand feel for something that's supposed to be metal is pretty horrible too.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, razaro said:

@dizmo 

do you maybe think on LG G5 ? here is question about Motorola G5.

Ahhh not sure how I missed that haha, too many threads about the LG before this one I guess.

I'd go with the A3, for sure. Waterproof, USB C, amazing battery life.

Advantages over the G3:

• Much thinner, shorter and narrower
    - 7.9mm vs 11.6mm (D)
    - 135mm vs 142mm (H)
    - 66mm vs 72mm (W)
  • Water resistance
  • USB C
  • Supports much larger microSD cards
  • Bluetooth 4.2, wireless AC
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • Much stronger processor
  • Similar talk time, but the A3 gets 6.5 more hours of both video and web browsing
  • It has the 4.7" screen you want

The Moto G5 is much larger, doesn't get as great battery life, and honestly I don't think you'd be as happy with it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red