PCIe lanes with graphic card and NVME

Hello,

Just

I am on the verge of building myself a new PC and I am on a specific budget (around 1400USD) the build i am thinking about:

i7 7700k

some GTX1080

16GB RAM (I know a bit low compere to other parts of the sped build but i might upgrade it later)

samsung 960EVO nvme

MOBO - any that would support it all

the question is sine the 7700k only have 16 PCIe lanes, would it decrease the performance noticeably since the NVME drive need 4 PCIe lanes too? I mean i know the graphics card isn't saturating the x16 PCIe slot but muxing sure to introduce some lag.

it will be fine don'T worry.

if you want to save some bucks downgrade nvme to "normal" sata SSD, you will not notice much of a difference anyway.

also 16GB is fine unless you are heavy into RAM heavy tasks (which gaming is not with 16GB allready in the rig)

You won't notice a difference 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

More to the point: the PCI-E 16 Lanes that the CPU are usually only for the 2 GPU slots

The NVME will use the DMI3.0 connection and thus will not eat up the x16 bandwith

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

it will be fine don'T worry.

if you want to save some bucks downgrade nvme to "normal" sata SSD, you will not notice much of a difference anyway.

also 16GB is fine unless you are heavy into RAM heavy tasks (which gaming is not with 16GB allready in the rig)

the PC is not only for gaming, faster storage is actually impotent to me. I never had experience with NVME drives, and the Samsung 960evo seem to have nice specs. can you give some more information on why it wouldn't make a difference, and maybe a model you would offer to downgrade to? 

The lanes go though the chipset, separate from the 16 that go direct to the CPU for the GPU, it wont be a problem (8x would be fine anyway). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

7 minutes ago, Tzachi said:

the PC is not only for gaming, faster storage is actually impotent to me. I never had experience with NVME drives, and the Samsung 960evo seem to have nice specs. can you give some more information on why it wouldn't make a difference, and maybe a model you would offer to downgrade to? 

I would get a n 850 Evo

6 minutes ago, Dujith said:

More to the point: the PCI-E 16 Lanes that the CPU are usually only for the 2 GPU slots

The NVME will use the DMI3.0 connection and thus will not eat up the x16 bandwith

Thanks. didn't know about that difference between PCIe lanes for graphics and DMI for storage. Need to read about it for a bit 

41 minutes ago, Tzachi said:

Thanks. didn't know about that difference between PCIe lanes for graphics and DMI for storage. Need to read about it for a bit 

KABY-LAKE-1.png

This is a simple schematic on how everything that runs of the CPU is connected.

Thread cleaned.

This isn't about a PCPP build, if you can't, or won't, answer the OPs question, then please don't reply and move on.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, Tzachi said:

When you do select a motherboard take an extra minute to go over what it has to say about M.2 NVMe drives and how it may affect other SATA ports on the board.

It's possible that having an NVMe drive connected will disable certain SATA ports on the board itself.

Check the manual to be sure.

This might not a big deal unless you want to add lots of extra SATA drives but it is something to be aware of.

---