HDR OLED monitor?

Spirit`yL

I have watched the video about HDR monitor today on Linustechtips, so ,the question begin,Have you ever using HDR monitor and how about it's performance and experience?

I have an HDR TV. Granted it's "entry level" for HDR, but I'm not really convinced HDR will really take off until we have an actual contrast ratio of at least 10,000:1 (maybe 5,000:1 if I was feeling generous).

Then again having it on an OLED or QLED would be ideal.

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I have an HDR TV. Granted it's "entry level" for HDR, but I'm not really convinced HDR will really take off until we have an actual contrast ratio of at least 10,000:1 (maybe 5,000:1 if I was feeling generous).

Then again having it on an OLED or QLED would be ideal.

QLED? what this guys?

2 minutes ago, Spirit`yL said:

Thanks

The problem with HDR, 4K and curved screens is that most people can't afford to go and invest into a new TV or monitor and then for a PC to driver the, or susbscritpitons to take advantage of those features. HD tv's took a while to take off because at the start getting HD content was expensive and so where the displays, but as the prices stared to drop because manufactures could make it cheaper; as more CRT's died more and more people stared buying HD. I don't see curved TV's taking off, monitors yes. And until 4k's become cheaper and the content becomes cheaper and more readily available I don't see it taking off. 

Think of it like a car, you have the latest models in the showrooms that cost a lot but most people will be buying ones from the second hand lot round the back as there aren't really any advantages to having a brand new one, even if it does have all the latest features.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Don't have a HDR monitor, but do have a HDR 4K TV.

I will say this, HDR is the only reason I bothered getting a 4K TV.  On the issue of content, Netflix offers 4K, price of 4K HDR movies are near or very close to the price of Blu-Ray (heck, Wal-Mart selling them now).  It going to be like when 1080P TVs first came along.  The transition going to take time.

Even if HDR 4K monitors come down in price, I still have no plans bothering to buy one for the pure fact to drive one is still expensive to do so.  Hopefully in a few more years GPU hardware catches up.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017/8/9 at 6:06 PM, Ithanul said:

Don't have a HDR monitor, but do have a HDR 4K TV.

I will say this, HDR is the only reason I bothered getting a 4K TV.  On the issue of content, Netflix offers 4K, price of 4K HDR movies are near or very close to the price of Blu-Ray (heck, Wal-Mart selling them now).  It going to be like when 1080P TVs first came along.  The transition going to take time.

Even if HDR 4K monitors come down in price, I still have no plans bothering to buy one for the pure fact to drive one is still expensive to do so.  Hopefully in a few more years GPU hardware catches up.

Really Bananas!

Its too early currently. The price of decent ones is still really high and the amount of support in games as well as content is too low. But there is also no doubt that HDR10 and then Rec 2020 will be important in the future. Its one aspect of moving displays to being able to look like reality, colour, contrast, pixel response rates and resolution. We need to progress on them all substantially before we get to displays being good enough to fool us its a real scene and HDR is a part of that.

7 hours ago, Spirit`yL said:

Really Bananas!

How so?

I see no point in buying a new monitor (my 1440P is doing just fine).

The TV on the other hand works wonderful for its use case, plus the previous TV was up there in age.  Also, the huge sales on TVs was a hard pass up.  Only had to drop 300 bucks for a 800 dollar valued TV.  :D

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU