Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dad dropped his Apple Watch, pulse sensor thingy came off

Nicnac

Any way to fix this? It's just dangling on a cable for now. It's older than two years I think so no warranty anymore. Any ideas?

My Folding Stats

X  Vigilo Confido  X

Superglue? I lost mine at a creek baptism a couple weeks ago.... RIP. :(

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Current Rig

Spoiler

i7 6950X - EVGA X99 Classified - 4x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 - 2060 Super FE - 1TB 970 Evo + 1TB MX500 - LG WH14NS40 BluRay Drive - EVGA 1000W G3 - Corsair Air 540 - Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000 (rear) + 3x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (radiator) - LG 27UK650-W (27" 4K60hz) - Custom CPU/GPU Loop w/single 360mm rad - Windows 10

Project Rig (WIP)

Spoiler

Xeon I forgot the name of - NH-L12S - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 4x4GB 2800MHz DDR4 - WX2100 2GB - 256GB 960 Evo - Flex-ATX PSU - Old Dell OEM case - Noctua 80mm fans - probably will be Windows or Ubuntu

Daily Devices: 2015 15" MacBook Pro (Work Laptop) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch Series 3 (if I don't forget to put it on) || Other Misc Devices: iPod Classic 5th Gen 30GB- iPod Classic 7th Gen 80GB - Nintendo Switch - Switch Lite - Wii U

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

Any way to fix this? It's just dangling on a cable for now. It's older than two years I think so no warranty anymore. Any ideas?

Does the watch itself still work?

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

bad idea, RMA is the best solution.  

Can't really RMA something out of warranty though. And they do make them really hard to fix (Not really their fault, they're basically stuffing a stripped down iPod touch into a watch housing). 

Current Rig

Spoiler

i7 6950X - EVGA X99 Classified - 4x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 - 2060 Super FE - 1TB 970 Evo + 1TB MX500 - LG WH14NS40 BluRay Drive - EVGA 1000W G3 - Corsair Air 540 - Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000 (rear) + 3x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (radiator) - LG 27UK650-W (27" 4K60hz) - Custom CPU/GPU Loop w/single 360mm rad - Windows 10

Project Rig (WIP)

Spoiler

Xeon I forgot the name of - NH-L12S - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 4x4GB 2800MHz DDR4 - WX2100 2GB - 256GB 960 Evo - Flex-ATX PSU - Old Dell OEM case - Noctua 80mm fans - probably will be Windows or Ubuntu

Daily Devices: 2015 15" MacBook Pro (Work Laptop) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch Series 3 (if I don't forget to put it on) || Other Misc Devices: iPod Classic 5th Gen 30GB- iPod Classic 7th Gen 80GB - Nintendo Switch - Switch Lite - Wii U

10 minutes ago, DiscoDuck101 said:

Does the watch itself still work?

Yea it does, haven't checked the sensor though. 

My Folding Stats

X  Vigilo Confido  X

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Can't really RMA something out of warranty though

i know, it's screwed. 

(Not really their fault, they're basically stuffing a stripped down iPod touch into a watch housing). 

also, keep in mind this is a first gen product. 

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

And they do make them really hard to fix (Not really their fault, they're basically stuffing a stripped down iPod touch into a watch housing). 

While you're not wrong that they're essentially stuffing an older iPod Nano into a watch strap, it is their fault as they're the ones responsible for designing it. Of course, there is only so much one can do in so little space, but it's still their job to design the product.

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - Unlimited Calls & Texts + 12GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 minutes ago, kirashi said:

While you're not wrong that they're essentially stuffing an older iPod Nano into a watch strap, it is their fault as they're the ones responsible for designing it. Of course, there is only so much one can do in so little space, but it's still their job to design the product.

But it's not their fault it's hard to repair. There isn't room for a bunch of stuff to make it easier to disassemble.

Current Rig

Spoiler

Project Rig (WIP)

Spoiler

But it's not their fault it's hard to repair. There isn't room for a bunch of stuff to make it easier to disassemble.

They could have made it bigger, reduced the number of sensors, or gone the way of Pebble making a smartwatch open to developers and tinkerers (both in software AND in hardware) so people could 3D print their own cases and make repairs themselves. But they didn't because it's not the Apple way.

To be clear, I'm not just pointing fingers at Apple here. Tablet manufacturers do the same thing, whether it's a Microsoft Surface or Samsung Galaxy Tab we're talking about. They choose to use glue instead of tiny screws because it allows them to make the devices thinner and lighter at the expense of repairability and battery life.

Pretty soon even desktop PC's will come with their CPU and RAM soldered to the motherboard BGA style, leaving us no upgrade path or repair options. If we don't speak up now, manufacturers will take the option away from us which is definitely not something I want to go through.

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - Unlimited Calls & Texts + 12GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

They could have made it bigger, reduced the number of sensors, or gone the way of Pebble making a smartwatch open to developers and tinkerers (both in software AND in hardware) so people could 3D print their own cases and make repairs themselves. But they didn't because it's not the Apple way.

To be clear, I'm not just pointing fingers at Apple here. Tablet manufacturers do the same thing, whether it's a Microsoft Surface or Samsung Galaxy Tab we're talking about. They choose to use glue instead of tiny screws because it allows them to make the devices thinner and lighter at the expense of repairability and battery life.

Pretty soon even desktop PC's will come with their CPU and RAM soldered to the motherboard BGA style, leaving us no upgrade path or repair options. If we don't speak up now, manufacturers will take the option away from us which is definitely not something I want to go through.

Yup. 

Except for this:

Just now, kirashi said:

They could have made it bigger, reduced the number of sensors

That would suck. No one wants a clunky smartwatch that doesn't do much but still needs to be recharged. 

Current Rig

Spoiler

Project Rig (WIP)

Spoiler