Is there something wrong with my open file dialog filter?

Go to solution Solved by madknight3,
4 hours ago, Shammikit said:

so i have this filter setup for filtering out flv and mp4 files in my open file dialog but it doesnt seem to be working. when i go to my directory with flv and mp4 files they dont show up. what could be the reason. is my filter incorrect? 

openFileDialog1.Filter = "mp4 Files (*.mp4)|*.MP4 | flv files(*.flv)|*.flv ";

The problem is the whitespace in the extension parts of the string

here^                and here^

You need to remove the whitespace like so

openFileDialog1.Filter = "mp4 Files (*.mp4)|*.MP4| flv files(*.flv)|*.flv";

Note that the description portion of the filter string can have spaces, which is the reason that "mp4 Files (*.mp4)" and "flv files(*.flv)" are allowed. It's just the extension portion of the filter string that can't have spaces.

so i have this filter setup for filtering out flv and mp4 files in my open file dialog but it doesnt seem to be working. when i go to my directory with flv and mp4 files they dont show up. what could be the reason. is my filter incorrect? 

Edited by Shammikit
Update: i have tried *.* on the filter as well even that doesnt work!

im not a coding expert at all. I dont even code, but shouldnt the ".MP4" be lowercase like the other one? sorry if i said something stupid. lol

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

3 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

im not a coding expert at all. I dont even code, but shouldnt the ".MP4" be lowercase like the other one? sorry if i said something stupid. lol

i previously had it lowercase and i wrote it in uppercase to see if that works. but no. even the flv files dont show up.

19 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

i previously had it lowercase and i wrote it in uppercase to see if that works. but no. even the flv files dont show up.

Well.....I tried

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

|

/\

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

4 hours ago, Shammikit said:

The problem is the whitespace in the extension parts of the string

here^                and here^

You need to remove the whitespace like so

openFileDialog1.Filter = "mp4 Files (*.mp4)|*.MP4| flv files(*.flv)|*.flv";

Note that the description portion of the filter string can have spaces, which is the reason that "mp4 Files (*.mp4)" and "flv files(*.flv)" are allowed. It's just the extension portion of the filter string that can't have spaces.