Gaming/Content Creation Monitor Advice

GeoffPMiller

Hi There!

I am currently trying to build a set-up, I think I've finally saved up enough to build a rig with a gtx 1080 (possibly ti) and i7 7700k pair and will mainly use the PC for mostly online competitive gaming and come content creation and streaming games (youtube, and twitch). Originally I aimed for a 4k setup (which is why the overkill 1080ti was picked out) but I'm starting to wonder if it is even worth it. I'm torn between an ultra wide/curved single monitor setup or two smaller 4k monitors. I'm not sure which would be best for my specific needs and/or what monitors in the two categories would be a best fit scenario. I understand that higher refresh rate and if I can score g-sync would be best, and in general multitasking on a lower resolution is easier (so the ultra wide) but I'm not sure if that matters if I have a graphics card as powerful as a 1080ti or even 1080. Any suggestions on what I should do or advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

The best advice you can give a content creator is colour accuracy > then refresh rate.

I have an ultrawide IPS PG348Q. I love it the colours are stunning and UW is so immerise for gaming + allows for bezel-less multi tasking which is really nice. Also after having G-Sync I don't think I can go without it in future. Never had a smoother experience.

Btw if your aim is streaming, you'd be better suited with an R7 1700 than a 7700k.

Awesome, thanks a lot! Would you suggest to keep hold of the 1080ti idea? or save a few bucks and get something lower going with that monitor or something similar? I originally wanted a 4k setup which helped justify the 1080ti price point so I'm not sure if that's still a good idea or not if I went with a slightly lower resolution monitor. 

I would personally go for a GTX1080, the A8G by Asus is pretty price competitive here in Ireland. Save money on GPU in exchange for a superior screen for content creation. Now on my own experience I work mainly in 3DS Max, Adobe Premiere and Photoshop all at 1440p on a BenQ 3200PT which is calibrated and oh man it is amazing.

It really depends on the software you are going to use. If you are using software that will leverage OpenCL for rendering, I would Snag a few RX480/580's or an RX Vega. The reason for that is that FreeSync is a little more common and less expensive. If you are locked into using Cuda, then you should just stick with the Nvidia route. I personally prefer two monitors. I don't use 4K- I just don't have a use for it. I have two LG MP59G monitors. They are nothing special when it comes to refresh rate, they support FreeSync at 75Hz. But they do support over 99% of sRGB and they are decently bright IPS panels with a fairly thin frame (without being flimsy). And best of all they don't cost a fortune.

30 minutes ago, GeoffPMiller said:

Awesome, thanks a lot! Would you suggest to keep hold of the 1080ti idea? or save a few bucks and get something lower going with that monitor or something similar? I originally wanted a 4k setup which helped justify the 1080ti price point so I'm not sure if that's still a good idea or not if I went with a slightly lower resolution monitor. 

I have a 1080Ti. A 1080 could probably manage this monitor though.

So its sounding like I can save a bit on budget on the graphics card by going with a gtx 1080 or amd equivalent, and having an ips display with gsync or freesync is better or close to a higher "gaming" refresh rate. I believe primarily I'll be using adobe products like premiere and photoshop, and I hope to eventually get into some 3D graphic design (nothing heavy probably "simpler" programs like unreal engine client) SO I'm hoping that the current set up (gtx 1080 or amd equivalent and i7 7700k/r7 1700 plus a 3440x1440 color accurate display will suit my needs?