What is so great about PUBG?

Evolution90

Genuine question.

From my perspective i see a game where being stealthy, aware of your surroundings and a decent shot come out on top.

As a CS veteran and well FPS being my more "preferred" type of game, i don't see what is so great about PUBG.

From the videos i have seen from top YT uploaders like LevelCap... they have a massive advantage over newer players or should i say noobs? and to me that spoils the fun, i don't want a game where i literally walk over 80% of the player base, i want to be on a par level so i can gain more skills.

Yes i played 1.6 and it never had that, but we did so via IRC.. worked fine, entering pub and bragging was laughable.

Just my view point.

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

3 minutes ago, Evolution90 said:

Genuine question.

From my perspective i see a game where being stealthy, aware of your surroundings and a decent shot come out on top.

As a CS veteran and well FPS being my more "preferred" type of game, i don't see what is so great about PUBG.

From the videos i have seen from top YT uploaders like LevelCap... they have a massive advantage over newer players or should i say noobs? and to me that spoils the fun, i don't want a game where i literally walk over 80% of the player base, i want to be on a par level so i can gain more skills.

Yes i played 1.6 and it never had that, but we did so via IRC.. worked fine, entering pub and bragging was laughable.

Just my view point.

So... whats the question?

Just now, TheEpicDuck said:

So... whats the question?

Reading is tough?

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

1 minute ago, Evolution90 said:

Reading is tough?

Yeah.

From the videos i have seen from top YT uploaders like LevelCap... they have a massive advantage over newer players or should i say noobs?

Yeah.

From the videos i have seen from top YT uploaders like LevelCap... they have a massive advantage over newer players or should i say noobs?

"What is so great about PUBG?"

Title of thread. Come on at least read.

Just now, Evolution90 said:

"What is so great about PUBG?"

Title of thread. Come on at least read.

You don't make a good point. seems like a question to yourself that you already answered.

the game is fun. I just started and im having fun. is that the right answer?

You don't make a good point. seems like a question to yourself that you already answered.

the game is fun. I just started and im having fun. is that the right answer?

Just answer the question? it don't take much critical thought.. LMAO.

Well, I play together with my friends and its played in third person(but there is a first person mode). There are also tons of other factors like rng that are not found in csgo.

Just now, Colexd said:

Well, I play together with my friends and its played in third person(but there is a first person mode). There are also tons of other factors like rng that are not found in csgo.

CSGO has RNG actually :)

Well if we dive a bit deeper CS is more tactical, it involves all players much closer than i could see PUBG doing just due to the size of the actual world you play in.

Not really any chance of stuff like this happening, meaning you would rely more on luck and random stuff than in CS than actual knowledge and team work.

Yes well i'd say csgo is more of a direct gunfight while pubg is a survival game. You can look for a fight, just hide until time runs out, or explore the map. It will also defend if you actually enjoy battle royale games.

Can I ask why you think they have a huge advantage?  To me it seems like one of the fairest games (-RNG).  There are advantages from learning the map and learning the best hidey holes but there's nothing above that really, a new player can walk around a corner and spray into the back of a rank 1 player and kill him, just because the rank 1 player had bad awareness.  When I die in that game 99% of the time I can see what I should have done differently to prevent it.

The game should be 1st person only shooter from the beginning with no option for 3rd person view.

Using camera to see behind corners/fences while you're hidden is stupid as everyone does that. Same thing ruined DayZ for me. It is also reason why I play Arma 3 only on HC servers.

Otherwise, the game seems good if I ignore the same performance issues and bugs that plague Arma 3 as well.

If I'm correct, i read somewhere that there will be a first person view only game mode.

57 minutes ago, Evolution90 said:

i don't see what is so great about PUBG.

Its pretty much the only game in its class (there are similar games but not quite), i's fun and addictive. There are no "levels" you can't develop a better character by sinking time or money in to it (by this I mean levelling up and having better guns than noobs). Therefore it is fair and puts everyone on an equal playing field. Loot is RNG but that is better than starting with inferior loadouts every time.

57 minutes ago, Evolution90 said:

No. This will be true for your 1st 5 or so games, after that you will have a rating and matchmaking will group you with similarly rated players, not noobs. Luck with loot and circle placement can also make a noob the victor over the more "skilled" player sometimes. It's nothing like CS GO if you think you can walk in and win back to back games you are wrong.

41 minutes ago, Evolution90 said:

Well if we dive a bit deeper CS is more tactical

LOL no. PUBG can be very tactical if you play it properly expecially in a squad. There are random factors every game that you can't predict: The playzone, weather conditions, loot, air drops, vehicle spawns, bombing zones and where players will go on a huge map etc.

My advice? Go play it.

20 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The game should be 1st person only shooter from the beginning with no option for 3rd person view.

Each has their preference. I think PUBG works fine the way it is. 3rd person isn't cheating if everyone has it?

Btw you can now queue in 1st person lobbies too where there is no toggle for 3rd person.

Catering to both groups is the best solution imo.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Each has their preference. I think PUBG works fine the way it is. 3rd person isn't cheating if everyone has it?

Btw you can now queue in 1st person lobbies too where there is no toggle for 3rd person.

It is cheating even if everyone has it.

Example:

You sit behind wall and you tilt your camera to see above the wall while your character is not peaking at all.

Suddenly, enemy appears on the opposite side of wall from you. You can see him, he doesn't even know you're there.

You have a perfect opportunity for surprise attack.

If it was 1st person you would have no idea he is there if you haven't peaked him first in which case he would have a chance to spot you and react accordingly.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You sit behind wall and you tilt your camera to see above the wall while your character is not peaking at all.

Suddenly, enemy appears on the opposite side of wall from you. You can see him, he doesn't even know you're there.

You have a perfect opportunity for surprise attack.

Sounds like making good use of the tools available to you. Like I said if everyone can do it then its fair. Its not my fault if you don't use all available tools to your advantage. I've done it to others and others have done it to me. Therefore its fair, you just learn not to be a retard when approaching walls/corners/objects you can hide behind....

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If it was 1st person you would have no idea he is there if you haven't peaked him first in which case he would have a chance to spot you and react accordingly.

Some people prefer this. Hence why there is an option to only play in this mode. See previous message:

8 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

EDIT: Its a survival game, you are supposed to play it with a paranoid attitude. Questioning everything is how you win.

I believe the answer to why people love this game so much, is purely because its so different from most shooters out at the moment. The ability to do what you want, only having one life per a game and Having a time frame provides an addictive Drive to win.

Because it is so challenging to win and as there is not much of a reward for winning, but the stress the excitement the humour and the ability to play with your friends are some of the most rewarding things when it comes to gaming. Like " flying in to the map with your mates, land, loot for 10 mins, jump in a car before your mates do and get pan'd by a enemy sitting in the back seat."

For me Its the excitement of 5 people left out of 100 and being so scared and it being so quiet. Then guns blaze and grenades explode!

5 hours ago, Evolution90 said:

Well if we dive a bit deeper CS is more tactical, it involves all players much closer than i could see PUBG doing just due to the size of the actual world you play in.

What's "so great about" PUBG is that it is a specific mixture of genres (namely survival and battle royale) that have had a huge audience for a long time but never really had a game that executed those ideas really well. Those games are usually very janky, permanently unfinished, and I assume far less enjoyable than PUBG.

You can post videos showing your evidence that CS:GO is better than PUBG all you like, but I don't think people playing PUBG are looking for an experience comparable to CS:GO in the first place. I don't care about PUBG either, but I'm not going to post videos showing all the reasons I think Deus Ex (or whatever) is better because I recognize that wouldn't be relevant. :P

I like CS:GO better but it probably is because of oldschool 1.5... PUBG never dragged my attention but I have no problems with people liking and playing it... at least it isn't League of Legends.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 hours ago, Evolution90 said:

Not really any chance of stuff like this happening, meaning you would rely more on luck and random stuff than in CS than actual knowledge and team work.

No one gives a shit. I don't play it because it doesn't appeal to me. What is the point of this thread?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I initially had the same viewpoint as an avid FPS PvP player. I watched some live streams (something I've never done before) and it seemed kind of boring, with the usual "that guys cheating cuz he killed me" garbage.Turns out I wasn't watching good streamers. I've since found a few who aren't chest thumping king of the hill types. I'm following a couple now that actually are having a blast, and don't fly into a rage if they get killed. I'm buying the game next paycheck. Can't wait to dive in (pun intended). I think the key is to find people who play hard, use strategy and tactics, but at the same time have fun with it.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

22 minutes ago, MadModder said:

I think the key is to find people who play hard, use strategy and tactics, but at the same time have fun with it.

That can be said about any game though :P

I always wondered what the CoD transplanters were thinking when I played Battlefield 3 with some buddies and always ended up within the top 5 at the end of the match with less than a handful of kills.