how to copy windows from one usb to another

xdeathshot20

so i have a copy of windows 10 on a flash drive.  i wana take that copy and make a duplicate of it on a second flash drive just incase i lose one i still have a backup.  my question is how do i do this?  can i just plug both flash drives into my computer and just copy all the files over or will that not work?

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

If they are formatted the same and if it is a windows install USB then yes that works.

6 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

so i have a copy of windows 10 on a flash drive.  i wana take that copy and make a duplicate of it on a second flash drive just incase i lose one i still have a backup.  my question is how do i do this?  can i just plug both flash drives into my computer and just copy all the files over or will that not work?

Nope. Transferring the files from one installation drive to a fresh drive will not make it bootable.  You will need to use the Windows Media Creation tool from Microsoft's site to create a duplicate Windows installation drive.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

2 minutes ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

If they are formatted the same and if it is a windows install USB then yes that works.

Yeah, no.  It's a bootable USB key, one can not just CTRL+C and CTRL+V  that.  It'll only copy the files but not the boot sector of the drive.  You'd need to image the drive.

Though, while it'd involve more downloading, just baking up a fresh USB key with the media creation tool is the simplest solution for most.

You will first need to make the USB Bootable:

1. Insert a USB flash drive into a running computer.

2. Open a Command Prompt window as an administrator.

3. Type diskpart.

4. In the new command line window that opens, to determine the USB flash drive number or drive letter, at the command prompt, type list disk, and then click ENTER. The list disk command displays all the disks on the computer. Note the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive.

5. At the command prompt, type select disk <X>, where X is the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive, and then click ENTER.

6. Type clean, and the click ENTER. This command deletes all data from the USB flash drive.

7. To create a new primary partition on the USB flash drive, type create part pri, and then click ENTER.

8. To select the partition that you just created, type select part 1, and then click ENTER.

9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

10. Type active, and then click ENTER.

11. Type exit, and then click ENTER.

Now you can copy and pasta it :^)

Current Build

Successful Builds

Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah, no.  It's a bootable USB key, one can not just CTRL+C and CTRL+V  that.  It'll only copy the files but not the boot sector of the drive.  You'd need to image the drive.

Though, while it'd involve more downloading, just baking up a fresh USB key with the media creation tool is the simplest solution for most.

i have done that before many times if it is formatted as FAT32 and u copy the windows install files that works

So long it is FAT32 formatted, copying and pasting works, have used this method myself for ages and it works (I worked as a Helpdesk Engineer and using the media creation tool is kinda time consuming).

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

13 hours ago, Himommies said:

You'll need another windows 10 key though

For what? Installing and making another bootable installer are two different things. What if OP just wants another installer in case one breaks or gets lost? Plus, you can run un-activated Win10 and use full version for 30-90 days anyway. Or even roll into Insider for free version with MS bloat/spyware.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv