Wifi to Ethernet?

ZeusXI

So, i have an odroid that i recently put ubuntu minimal on it, but i cant get the wifi adapter working on it, and i tried SSH to it attached to my router, but i keep getting network failed and what not. Is there a way i can share my wifi with the odroid over an ethernet from my laptop to the odroid itself?

so...wifi from router to wifi, and ethernet from laptop to secondary device if that helps

(odroid is like raspberry pi)

Ok this is possible in windows, I cant remember how to do it but its called network bridging. Someone cleverer than i might be able to help.

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

Wifi/Media Bridge.  Some routers can run as a bridge where they do exactly what you want and there's also dedicated devices that do it.  Even the classic Xbox's wifi acessory was a bridge that plugged into the ethernet port.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Wifi/Media Bridge.  Some routers can run as a bridge where they do exactly what you want and there's also dedicated devices that do it.  Even the classic Xbox's wifi acessory was a bridge that plugged into the ethernet port.

i cant use the router. i want to use the wifi my laptop has, and share through ethernet. i dont want to move my monitor to view the device because my router is in the ceiling and what not

Just now, ZeusXI said:

i cant use the router. i want to use the wifi my laptop has, and share through ethernet. i dont want to move my monitor to view the device because my router is in the ceiling and what not

No, no. you're confused.  You'd need a SECOND router running as a bridge, which would link wirelessly to the first router.  That or a dedicated bridge.

No, no. you're confused.  You'd need a SECOND router running as a bridge, which would link wirelessly to the first router.  That or a dedicated bridge.

ohhh now i get it. so if i have my router in the ceiling, its a netgear, and if i have a spare (cant remember the name, think its a linksys) would that work as a "repeater" of some sorts?

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

ohhh now i get it. so if i have my router in the ceiling, its a netgear, and if i have a spare (cant remember the name, think its a linksys) would that work as a "repeater" of some sorts?

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

i found it! its a netgear as my own router upstairs. just a shaved down version "10/100" instead of the 10"100"1000 upstairs. thanks! ill take a look into it

Just now, ZeusXI said:

No, a repeater is something else.  A repreater REPEATS the signal wirelessly itself.  A bridge would connect wirelessly to the network, not do any ROUTING itself, and then share that network over it's ethernet ports.  It's wireless system would only be used for communication between the bridge and the router it wouldn't repeat and extend the wireless network.  The dumbest way to word it would be 'Think of it as a wireless network switch.'  Only instead of hooking an ethernet cable from your router into the switch to allow more ports, it connects to the router by wifi instead.

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

No, a repeater is something else.  A repreater REPEATS the signal wirelessly itself.  A bridge would connect wirelessly to the network, not do any ROUTING itself, and then share that network over it's ethernet ports.  It's wireless system would only be used for communication between the bridge and the router it wouldn't repeat and extend the wireless network.  The dumbest way to word it would be 'Think of it as a wireless network switch.'  Only instead of hooking an ethernet cable from your router into the switch to allow more ports, it connects to the router by wifi instead.

how do i connect the 2nd router to the main router via wifi?

Just now, ZeusXI said:

how do i connect the 2nd router to the main router via wifi?

Not every router supports media bridge mode.  Consult your documentation.  Though any router you can put DD-WRT on will be capable of working as a bridge, if you can put DD-WRT on it, consult DD-WRT's documentation.  I honestly can't tell you how to do it because procedures will vary between routers.

Not every router supports media bridge mode.  Consult your documentation.  Though any router you can put DD-WRT on will be capable of working as a bridge, if you can put DD-WRT on it, consult DD-WRT's documentation.  I honestly can't tell you how to do it because procedures will vary between routers.

so if the router supports DD-WRT i can bridge them?