Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber [UPDATE] Author Fired

1 minute ago, Liltrekkie said:

I don't think it'd put it as harshly as that, but yeah pretty much. 

As a member of the LGBT I have a special hatred in my heart for Islam. Contrary to popular belief we don't like being tortured, killed, or throw off roofs. I hate how the left constantly demonizes the west and our great society then puts a tribalistic third world shit hole above any criticism. I would gladly pay for the plain ticket for the two lesbians in my class to go to the middle East and experience it for themselves but I don't want to be responsible for what happens to them from those people.

1 minute ago, Eaglerino said:

Nurses make a lot of money. Some make more than engineers. Why is there no massive push to get more male workers in the nursing force?

Actually they are more willing to hire a male for a nurse job because they can lift patients easier. While they don't go out and say it they do push for more male nurse just don't advertise it.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

The secret word there is 'Union'.

I meant the ones that make $75 and sometimes $200 an hour when they're on call, and I'm pretty sure they aren't in unions. This is in my area, probably different for other places. I don't know any engineer personally that makes that much

15 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

I meant the ones that make $75 and sometimes $200 an hour when they're on call, and I'm pretty sure they aren't in unions.

They most certainly are.  In the United States nearly all nurses are unionized and they are of the largest and most powerful unions in the United States.  The NNU alone has more than 150 000 members alone.  They are large, powerful bargaining units, they are backed by their dues and they can afford highly skilled negotiators, lawyers, and financial advisers, all of which sit next to them at the table when they negotiate their wages.  How the heck else do you think they get good wages like that?  They organized to make it happen.

And that's why you don't make $75/hr or more, but they can.

2 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Are aware of the Gender equality paradox?

I'm not, enlighten me pls

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Oh shit, i'll give it a watch

10 hours ago, Notional said:

Here's what 4 scientists have to say about it:

https://archive.is/VlNfl#selection-1275.0-1275.11 (main site is down, so I use an archive link, org link: http://quillette.com/2017/08/07/google-memo-four-scientists-respond/).

It's interesting that a woman actually in STEM, is not offended, but agree. Imagine that.

Seems like someone didn't want this article out. Site was down due to DDOS:

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Are aware of the Gender equality paradox?

He fails to also realise that men that go into female fields such as pre school, day care, and some cases teaching are seen as pedos for no reason.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

26 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

Nurses make a lot of money. Some make more than engineers. Why is there no massive push to get more male workers in the nursing force?

You'd be surprised, i'm a man and there is some favoritism in regards to nursing; there's definitely no massive push for men to go into nursing but internally it's almost the same diversity quota situation.

23 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

I meant the ones that make $75 and sometimes $200 an hour when they're on call, and I'm pretty sure they aren't in unions. This is in my area, probably different for other places. I don't know any engineer personally that makes that much

Maybe a CRNA or nurse practitioner, but your average LPN/RN isn't going to make anywhere near $200/h.

6 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

He fails to also realise that men that go into female fields such as pre school, day care, and some cases teaching are seen as pedos for no reason.

Yeah if you're a male nurse and want to work in pediatrics, good luck

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

OP you might want to include something about the leaked screenshots proving that the SJW's within Google are actually creating blacklists and working to destroy the careers of anyone who has a different political opinion than them.

http://voxday.blogspot.com.ar/2017/08/suppressing-dissent-at-google.html

This was far more than a witch hunt, it was mob "justice."

It's almost like a cult huh?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Anybody else thinks this happened in a strange weird timing when couple of reports surfaced that Google was accused of paying less to Woman in the company in general also google refusing to release documents relating to it & this little stunt popped out into the light out of "nowhere" suddenly people are talking about this instead , Just saying , Keep this Caveat in mind . :ph34r:

misdirection.gif

#Misdirection

Details separate people.

I know of at least 5 multi-billion dollar companies where senior executives came out today saying "We agree with Google's actions and if you side with the guy who wrote that memo, you don't belong here.". Granted I'm just one engineer among companies with thousands but that's not the kind of environment I wanted to work in.

The crux of the thing isn't the content of the memo; but that a poorly written essay questioning corporate policy is alarming if it can lead to the ending of your career. Assume the most charitable interpretation of his writing and that all of the sources he cited check out as good science: would that have mattered? At my company it was made clear, in no uncertain terms, that the validity of his writing was immaterial, company policy is to be diverse and anything that gets in the way of that goal is not acceptable. If you assume the least charitable interpretation; that the writing was intended as bigotry and that all of the citations are bunk, the situation doesn't change because the message from senior management is "our hiring policies do not depend on evidence." The reaction from executives at the companies I know of has made my close friends hesitant to address issues of bigoty or bias at all. "Just shut up and keep vesting because it's not worth the risk." This could be me mis-interpreting an off-the-cuff or hurried statement or a person faltering in their communication on a sensitive topic but I'm not willing to risk asking for clarification. I also think that if you can be in senior management at a very large publicly traded company you're probably good at saying what you mean when communicating policy.

The attitude bothers me because it breeds a culture of secrecy and mistrust. People aren't going to change their views just because the The <VP of Whatever> says "this doesn't apply here", they'll just bury their feelings and act on them in secret. This is a problem for me because I need my team to trust that they can raise their concerns about corporate policy or the work they do without fear of reprisal; it hampers my ability to do my job if they don't feel that way. It's also difficult for me to square these statements of executives with some of the rhetoric (which I do believe) like "we hire the best people we can find" and "we want you to be yourself at work" with the statements like "the correctness of our policy does not depend on the evidence to support it" or "there are certain ideas which if you are suspected of holding will end your career here (and elsewhere too)." Even if this claim applies only to hiring policy, it will make people secretive about other aspects of their job: can they doubt my technology or design choices? Can they question the value of a project that a PM wants to take on? If they think their co-workers are slacking can they feel comfortable raising it? These are the kinds of questions I was facing in 1:1 meetings today and I expect more throughout the week.

I'm curious if there are any other current/former Googlers (or any other large publicly traded software company) here and how they're seeing things play out. I went out for beer with some friends: co-workers and former colleagues, all of us current or former employees of "top-20" software companies and from my circle it sounds like the response is making waves throughout the industry. If you are, hit me up in private—I'm curious how the people in your office/team are thinking. God knows I won't dare open my mouth about this anywhere near the office: that's career suicide.

Nurses make a lot of money. Some make more than engineers.

It's not really on the same scale when we're talking about some of these large publicly traded companies.

I have a pretty good base salary for a senior engineer but not enough to have "fuck you money": low-6-figures, comparable to what I'd earn as a doctor.  If over the next 4 years the company share price performs as well as it did over the last 4 then my total compensation will be about 2.7 million/4 years assuming I cash out every stock grant immediately. That's a high 6-figure total annual compensation and I'm "just some dude", a cog-in-the machine. Whether or not ≥100% year-over-year stock price growth is in the cards is another question, but when you're talking about these sorts of jobs it's important to realize that base salary isn't necessarily the interesting part of compensation plan. Even with a flat share price, my current stock compensation package is worth more than a million over the next 4 years and then salary and perks on top of that.

It's easy enough to match the salary component of a career at 'GAFA', the stock portion is much harder, especially because many times you're getting options from a company pre-IPO. $250k/year in Uber options isn't going to buy me a new car because I can't exercise them and it may be years before I can.

I don't know how this sat unnoticed for so long.  Well at least the story is out, go look it up elsewhere if 11 pages isn't enough discussion already :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.