GTX 560 downclocks itself to half speed and doesn't go back up

VG Docs
Go to solution Solved by TheSLSAMG,
Just now, Trogdor8freebird said:

I'm not actually sure when it started occurring. Come to think of it though, it might have been the last time I updated the drivers (probably 4-7 days ago is my guess) I've never used DDU though since there's a clean install option whenever I update my drivers.

If it started occurring with a new driver update, it's quite possible that it could be a bug with the current drivers. If you haven't already, try removing your current drivers with DDU and reinstalling the older drivers that you were using prior.

I've had this issue for a while now but I'm starting to really get sick of it.

To be clear - the GTX 560's performance (when working properly) is adequate for what I'm wanting. The problem is that after a while of being on my PC, it will downclock itself to half speeds- my performance in WoW drops to about half in frame rate.

I have to restart every single time it does this if I want to play at 60 fps, it's infuriating to me at this point.

In case anyone's curious, I have it at "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia control panel for power management. I also use the high performance Windows power profile. I've also tried to revert the GPU back to stock settings but it still did this.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

When did the issue start occurring? Did you try uninstalling drivers with DDU and reinstalling? Also, are the temps abnormal at all?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

1 minute ago, TheSLSAMG said:

When did the issue start occurring? Did you try uninstalling drivers with DDU and reinstalling? Also, are the temps abnormal at all?

I'm not actually sure when it started occurring. Come to think of it though, it might have been the last time I updated the drivers (probably 4-7 days ago is my guess) I've never used DDU though since there's a clean install option whenever I update my drivers.

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Just now, Trogdor8freebird said:

If it started occurring with a new driver update, it's quite possible that it could be a bug with the current drivers. If you haven't already, try removing your current drivers with DDU and reinstalling the older drivers that you were using prior.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

8 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Okay, I'll try that and report back once I've found out about it. I can consistently get it to go down to half speeds by simply playing a video while playing WoW, so I can test it every time I try something new.

54 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Okay, finally did everything asked (although it took a LONG time to boot up Windows after using DDU for some reason) and it appears to be working well now. Went to WoW, started up a video, and no issues yet (it used to go half speed consistently from doing so) so I think this is solved.

If the issue happens to come up again after a while (hopefully not) I'll probably just start a new thread.