How to upscale from bad resolution to good...

I download some movies and they all happen to be some crappy 1280x490p or some weird resolution similar to that. Is there something I can use to upscale the movie into 1080p?

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

I would assume there at that resolution as there filmed in widescreen - 21:9 - rather than standard 16:9, however. Do you truly need to upscale them? It will require a moderatly powerfull desktop, or a powerfull laptop (high end CPU & preferably a GPU)

However, this link may help.

Ready?

LINK

Did it help?

No?

Ok, try THIS LINK

Sorry. Im just a sad soul. ;)

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

4 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

I download some movies and they all happen to be some crappy 1280x490p or some weird resolution similar to that. Is there something I can use to upscale the movie into 1080p?

Don't believe that you can.  If you could do that, then everyone would be downloading movies on the cheap and then upgrading them on their own avoiding the cost of getting a good movie.  That is one way the movie makers try to avoid people downloading their good movies cheaply.  No one wants to watch a crappy movie.

Just now, limegorilla said:

I would assume there at that resolution as there filmed in widescreen - 21:9 - rather than standard 16:9, however. Do you truly need to upscale them? It will require a moderatly powerfull desktop, or a powerfull laptop (high end CPU & preferably a GPU)

However, this link may help.

Ready?

LINK

Did it help?

No?

Ok, try THIS LINK

Sorry. Im just a sad soul. ;)

to be exact its 1280x800

I want it to be 1920x1080

i have i5 and 1060 is that enough tho lol

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Don't believe that you can.  If you could do that, then everyone would be downloading movies on the cheap and then upgrading them on their own avoiding the cost of getting a good movie.  That is one way the movie makers try to avoid people downloading their good movies cheaply.  No one wants to watch a crappy movie.

Well, looks like I learned something new.  The post above me looks like a neat idea to try and fix your issue.

Standard DVDs are crap tier resolution and are meant to be watched from far away. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

to be exact its 1280x800

I want it to be 1920x1080

i have i5 and 1060 is that enough tho lol

The i5 & 1060 is more than enough. Do you have Adobe CC? (Premire, Photoshop and After Effects)

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

You CAN, through what I forgot to mention (derp) It will probs lower the frame count & quality. Remember, technically your streching a pixel accros multiple pixels

JUST DONT UPSCALE. ITS TOO HARD BECAUSE HOLLYWOOD DOESNT WANT YOU TOO, LETS START A REBELLION! ;) Sorry if im hyper. Coffee.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Just now, limegorilla said:

The i5 & 1060 is more than enough. Do you have Adobe CC? (Premire, Photoshop and After Effects)

Yea I have it all. I dont know how to use them but I have obtained them in 100% legal methods

16 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

after download, no, if there was a way, then it wouldnt be noticeable.

before download yes

3 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

Yea I have it all. I dont know how to use them but I have obtained them in 100% legal methods

Im not going to ask ;) but this guide kinda explains things: https://www.toolfarm.com/blog/entry/upscale

Bow down to me humans.

4 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

yes thank you lol

Good luck

Bow down to me humans.

It wouldn't make the quality better. You'd still have a source file of (insert source resolution) no matter what you upscale it to.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

It wouldn't make the quality better. You'd still have a source file of (insert source resolution) no matter what you upscale it to.

but i can see more pixels

the issue with upscaling is the quality wont change 

1 minute ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

but i can see more pixels

the issue with upscaling is the quality wont change 

thats correct

Upscaling is useless in this case,upscaling is just increasing the amount of pixels you see, without adding more detail. Might as well just set the movie to full screen and you're doing the same.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Unless you're trying to use the video in some way that doesn't allow you to resize it, making it too small for your screen, there is nothing to gain from upscaling. You'll just make the quality even worse since you'll likely be re-encoding it with a lossy encoder and all you'll get in return is a bigger file size.