Hello, I have a Core i5 6400 on a Z270 motherboard, which I bought because I presumed it would be compatible with Coffee Lake, which I was looking to upgrade to, considering it's speculated that it will be 30% faster. But now that it's been confirmed that Z270 will not support Coffee Lake, I am wondering between selling my CPU + motherboard and going Ryzen or upgrading to a 7700K, which would be a better choice? Thanks.

1 minute ago, superpentium said:

Hello, I have a Core i5 6400 on a Z270 motherboard, which I bought because I presumed it would be compatible with Coffee Lake, which I was looking to upgrade to, considering it's speculated that it will be 30% faster. But now that it's been confirmed that Z270 will not support Coffee Lake, I am wondering between selling my CPU + motherboard and going Ryzen or upgrading to a 7700K, which would be a better choice? Thanks.

Depends on your use case.

Gaming at high refresh rates probably 7700k due to single threaded performance

Anything else ryzen, as more cores, and not much lower single thread perf.

Ryzen is probably the better overall choice. I went ryzen 7, but that was for a new build.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

the 7700k is currently the best CPU for gaming, but not the best value. 

In gaming the 7700k is superior. Ryzen is a all-rounder and will perform very good in gaming, but not quite as 7700k. Also, I'm no Ryzen expert, but they do really like higher clocked RAM, so depends on the RAM you have now. What Graphics card do you have now, and what games do you play the most?

I think it makes no sense to go from what you have to a 7700k. At this point wait for coffe lake to actually drop and see if there's anything worth upgrading to. At worst you'll be able to get the 7700k for a lowe price.

As a general rule, buying a 200$ cpu just so you can upgrade to a 350$ one a year from now is a bad idea.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Dalitten said:

In gaming the 7700k is superior. Ryzen is a all-rounder and will perform very good in gaming, but not quite as 7700k. Also, I'm no Ryzen expert, but they do really like higher clocked RAM, so depends on the RAM you have now. What Graphics card do you have now, and what games do you play the most?

Ryzen's getting pretty big, so I would suspect that games will start to be optimized for it pretty soon.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

4 minutes ago, Dalitten said:

I am mostly looking to upgrade for content creation, as the i5 is still plenty for me in gaming, especially considering I have a 980. My ram is 2666Mhz, which is a little low for Ryzen, but considering ram prices I am not looking to upgrade that.

5 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Now is a terrible time to buy a CPU or GPU, wait a month or two, then decide. If you like overclocking then the i7 7700K can be great, if not then maybe wait to see what comes out

Well I will not be moving to Coffee Lake or any other new Intel platform as Intel will just kill it in a year or two, I am only really interested in moving to Ryzen, also the Kabylake i7 price won't drop, that never happens. (E.g. Haswell still costs as much as Kabylake.)

5 minutes ago, superpentium said:

I am mostly looking to upgrade for content creation, as the i5 is still plenty for me in gaming, especially considering I have a 980. My ram is 2666Mhz, which is a little low for Ryzen, but considering ram prices I am not looking to upgrade that.

If you're mostly going to upgrade for content creation get Ryzen 7 1700 or Ryzen 5 1600.

1 minute ago, superpentium said:

Well I will not be moving to Coffee Lake or any other new Intel platform as Intel will just kill it in a year or two, I am only really interested in moving to Ryzen, also the Kabylake i7 price won't drop, that never happens. (E.g. Haswell still costs as much as Kabylake.)

Well obviously Intel will kill it in a few years, when Zen+ drops AM4 will be dead and you'll probably need AM4+ for it, technology is always moving so no platform will still be alive after that long. However as you like content creation, you should look at threadripper, the 12 core looks pretty nice, 24 threads, but the 16 core isn't that much more, however expect to spend even more on RAM + high end board. 

Yours faithfully

15 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Gaming at high refresh rates probably 7700k due to single threaded performance

Ryzen's still fine for this for all the big games anyway. Overwatch gets me an average of around 200 fps (benched a few games with Fraps a while ago on Ultra settings), CS:GO is always over 250, Doom is pretty much always over 144, etc. the list goes on.

Not arguing that the 7700K will be better for certain games that rely on single-threaded performance, but Ryzen will still do the job if the extra threads are enticing.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Just now, tom_w141 said:

AM4 is guaranteed to take zen cpus up to 2020 minimum.

Well, some AM3 boards got BIOS updates for AM3+ CPUs, even though AMD didn't expressly say they would, some board makers added it, some didn't though, usually only the high end ones. so there isn't a guarantee, but Ryzen integrates the North bridge like Intel so it's easier now than it was before. 

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

However as you like content creation, you should look at threadripper,

Sorry for double post I didn't see this part ^

8 cores is fine for amateur content creation... Its even up there for professionals. To say any content creator needs TR just because it's around is silly. They don't need it 

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, some AM3 boards got BIOS updates for AM3+ CPUs, even though AMD didn't expressly say they would, some board makers added it, some didn't though, usually only the high end ones. so there isn't a guarantee, but Ryzen integrates the North bridge like Intel so it's easier now than it was before. 

What I said was guaranteed by AMD at Ryzen 7's launch... You will be able to use a Zen(3) or whatever its called in your current AM4 board. Yes ofc you'll need a BIOS update...

Depends on what content creation. I've used my 7700k a little for video editing 1440p footage and it works great. 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

8 cores is fine for amateur content creation... Its even up there for professionals. To say any content creator needs TR just because it's around is silly. They don't need it 

it's fine. I mean sure only serious content creators would need it, that's what I said the 12 core would be more than enough, but who wants to wait for a render to finish. There is also the 8 core Threadripper but unless you want loads of PCIe stuff or more RAM it's not the best. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

What I said was guaranteed by AMD at Ryzen 7's launch... You will be able to use a Zen(3) or whatever its called in your current AM4 board. Yes ofc you'll need a BIOS update...

I would never take a guarantee by a manufacturer or creator, I'll let time do the talking, but there is no reason it would be even that hard, but other features might be around then and that might make a new board worth it. 

Yours faithfully

Maybe now people will stop the whole nonsense of future-proof motherboards, I always said that it was more worth it just get the cheapest one possible and go locked i7 and stock cooling, you end up paying less for the same performance and has easier true upgrade path as the motherboard is rather dispensable.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Maybe now people will stop the whole nonsense of future-proof motherboards, I always said that it was more worth it just get the cheapest one possible and go locked i7 and stock cooling, you end up paying less for the same performance and has easier true upgrade path as the motherboard is rather dispensable.

A locked i7 gets it's ass handed to by overclocked i7, but I always wondered if the performance was noticeable, in games not even between a locked i5 and an overclocked i7, but every now and then it pays off. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

A locked i7 gets it's ass handed to by overclocked i7, but I always wondered if the performance was noticeable, in games not even between a locked i5 and an overclocked i7, but every now and then it pays off. 

It does not, the difference is within margin of error, my locked i7 did always what? 3 or 4 fps less then 4,8ghz i7 7700k I'm sorry but 3 fps is not worth paying the double for z chipset, expensive cooling and delid.

People need to quit this thought that OC is a must, it is nothing but marketing to give Intel more free money, it makes absolute no sense in the mainstream platform any more, you pay the double for no more than 5%ish percent increase and no it doesn't add life span to the chip at all, if any thing doing my way you can upgrade to better solutions sooner and walk all over the OC'ed older chip.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

16 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I would love a TR CPU, unfortunately it's way out of my budget and probably not very practical considering I don't do that much content creation.

32 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that's the lie said for the last 10y or so

so yeah, keep on dreaming

I believe he meant that with both Ryzen having many threads and Intel now pushing 6C/12T mainstream i7 + 6C/6T mainstream i5s will force developers to optimize for more threads. X299 & X399 launches will too. What's more, Intel introduced a similar mesh architecture to what's inside of Ryzen in Skylake-X CPUs (which actually decreased gaming performance as an equally-clocked 7800X loses in gaming to a 6800K at the same speeds despite having higher IPC) so the optimizations for that part should come too - it will probably mean that optimizing for new Intel architectures means optimizing for Ryzen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White