HP annonces a new sleek and impressive looking P.O.S system with matching accessories.

GoodBytes

HP announces a new Point-Of-Sell system for businesses which will be available started August 6 to 9, based on the configuration.

Now usually, POS systems are not the most exciting thing ever, but this one is pretty special compared to the standard black boring boxes.

Named the HP POSElite G1, the system targets stores and businesses who needs a sleek looking, yet professional, Point-Of-Sale system. The system aims to reduce clusters by minimizing cables visible and needed, while having matching accessories such as a receipt printer and bar code scanner.

hp-pos1.jpg.ca066d5d2cdf7513e73abbea70ea300c.jpg

The system runs Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and features a variety of configuration, from a low end dual core Celeron CPU to a Core i5 U series latest gen Intel CPU, with configuration going up to 32GB of DDR4 RAM, and supports up to 1TB NVMe SSD. The stand is optional, and VESA compatible. Features all the needed security features, including finger print scanner, UEFI password lock (of course), TPM 2.0, ability to disable USB ports, Windows Hello and other security features standard in HP business line systems.

The system can be configured to be quite overkill for such system, but it allows all doors open to provide a software solution that is rich for employees to use, or even consumers (example: used in a self checkout system).

The system features a 14inch screen, 1080p. But sadly no information on the display technology. Hopefully, they didn't cheap out on a TN panel.

The screen is touch screen, of course, but features a anti-glare coating.

If you are not interested in Windows 10 Pro, you HP offers as options the following OSs:
 - Windows 10 IoT Enteprise 2016 LTSB 64-bit
 - FreeDOS
 - SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12

The system, with the provided stand can be tilt, and swivel. And optional base allows no requirement to do a hole in the table to attach the stand.

If you don't want a separate receipt printer, HP offers a printer built-in into the stand as option, as well.

hp-pos2.jpg.9134be7055d2e5ad8bd4c16a7b25f2f7.jpg

hp-pos3.jpg.f8b340834a0eaafe723b1a6b1266f89b.jpg

hp-pos5.jpg.e8ea02a66acca914a0fc2c5d295876f6.jpg

HP is bringing its premium business line of Elite products like its EliteBook laptops to retail. The move is not just about building a nice-looking POS system, however, but about HP's long-standing history in security to protect consumer data during checkouts.

The HP retail ElitePOS is a mixture of Windows 10 PC running an Intel Celeron, Core i3, or Core i5 processor along with a top-notch Full HD touch display. That PC end makes up the "head unit, " and it can run Windows 10 or Windows 10 IoT for a more locked-down experience. Companies can then run customized boutique software on top of the OS for customer check out or self-help kiosks.

After the head unit comes an optional fixed-position or swivel-and-tilt stand, which sits on top of the optional receipt printer. That printer sits vertically and appears as if it's built right into the head unit's stem.

No pricing information, but usually these things, due to the small market, and added businesses level warranty, support and after sale service being much better over consumer grade stuff, the price is not affordable, and definitely not "good value for your money".

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/hp-poselite-g1-announced

So, if you are considering in opening your own retail business, this HP P.O.S system is, in my opinion, worth consideration.

What do you think about nice looking P.O.S system? I think seing that many stores tend to use iPads, or Android tablets, or even iMacs as most P.O.S are super ugly, and ruins a decor, i think HP has an interesting product that could sell well is priced right against other P.O.S solutions.

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The system runs Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and features a variety of configuration, from a low end dual core Celeron CPU to a Core i5 U series latest gen Intel CPU, with configuration going up to 32GB of DDR4 RAM, and supports up to 1TB NVMe SSD. The stand is optional, and VESA compatible. Features all the needed security features, including finger print scanner, UEFI password lock (of course), TPM 2.0, ability to disable USB ports, Windows Hello and other security features standard in HP business line systems.

Those specs in bold are way too much of an overkill for a POS system. If a I'm a small business owner, I'd stick to iPads with Square POS system and an AirPrint compatible printer for receipts. 

Also, iPads are easier to use and easier to lock down (guided access) unlike that HP machine. Also one more thing if I was as a small business owner, I don't have to worry about malware especially ransomware with iPads as POS systems. 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 minutes ago, smartroad said:

I miss read the title as POS as Piece of Sh*t rather than Point Of Sale LOL

HP = Hot Pile

So POS as Pile of Sh*t wouldn't be that bad :P 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What do you think about nice looking P.O.S system? I think seing that many stores tend to use iPads, or Android tablets, or even iMacs as most P.O.S are super ugly, and ruins a decor, i think HP has an interesting product that could sell well is priced right against other P.O.S solutions.

Considering we're a system builder by trade, we just use our own custom built systems. :P 

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Those specs in bold are way too much of an overkill for a POS system. If a I'm a small business owner, I'd stick to iPads with Square POS system and an AirPrint compatible printer for receipts. 

It's up to.. You have more standard options including a normal small SSD. I guess, the idea is for businesses who don't use a remote server, but instead have the DB all stored on the system, including larges images of products, maybe 3D models if a consumer interacts with it to place an order, while still ensuring max responsiveness.

8 minutes ago, smartroad said:

Meh, usually, they are the same. Under-powered garbage with unresponsive touch screen that you need to punch to register anything, and ugly looking with a mess of wires on the back.

HP caught my attention. Overkill flr the purpose, maybe Drake can repurpose it for tool and material tracking.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

32gb or ram, i5 and up to a TB nvme drive....Who the hell needs that power for a POS? I mean it looks great but the cost for unneeded power is going to be nuts.

Not enough! It needs a GeForce 1080Ti and a Quad Core CPU for Linus.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Not enough! It needs a GeForce 1080Ti and a Quad Core CPU for Linus.

Dual 1080Ti and 20-core CPU, minimum.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, smartroad said:

You are not the only one. I still do that after working for 2 years for an ISP who sells it. I see them on a daily basis but nope, it's a piece of shit.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It's up to.. You have more standard options including a normal small SSD. I guess, the idea is for businesses who don't use a remote server, but instead have the DB all stored on the system, including larges images of products, maybe 3D models if a consumer interacts with it to place an order, while still ensuring max responsiveness.

But still, an ULV i5 and a NVM express SSD for a POS? I'm surprised they didn't include a credit card reader and a NFC terminal out of the box. Also, 32 GB of DDR4 RAM? I didn't realize that scanning an item via a barcode scanner requires 64-bit computing. 

5 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

But still, an ULV i5 and a NVM express SSD for a POS? I'm surprised they didn't include a credit card reader and a NFC terminal out of the box. Also, 32 GB of DDR4 RAM? I didn't realize that scanning an item via a barcode scanner requires 64-bit computing. 

I think it is more, you have a set of POS systems, and one of them is also used as the server. So you have Celeron models, 4GB of RAM (or whatever), 128/64GB SATA SSD options for all of them, and you have one with the Core i5 U series, 16GB of RAM, and so on, which is the POS system and server handling the DB which others access, and so on (heck, might even run the security camera of the store where the HDDs are connected to it via USB which passed in the stand to the device)

While it didn't explicit mentioned, in the pictures above you can see a card reader on the right (third picture from the top)

16 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

If a I'm a small business owner, I'd stick to iPads with Square POS system and an AirPrint compatible printer for receipts.

I used to work on the floor above the offices of TouchBistro

https://www.touchbistro.com/?pi_ad_id=189445595926&gclid=CIi87tjjuNUCFQJrfgodZusMnQ

...Took me six months to realize I wasn't working above a restaurant.  THEY EVEN HAD BRANDED LITTLE CARS.  I THOUGHT THEY WERE FOR DELIVERIES! D:

Ahrm, but yeah, after I learned it was a POS platform, I soon realized that half the restaurants I was eating at were using it. o.O

21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If you are not interested in Windows 10 Pro, you HP offers as options the following OSs:

- Windows 10 IoT Enteprise 2016 LTSB 64-bit
 - FreeDOS
 - SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12

So they no longer have the downgrade option for Windows 7 then? A group I work with just recently updated to HP Windows 10 PoSs and HP sold them with a Windows 7 license downgrade.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think it is more, you have a set of POS systems, and one of them is also used as the server. So you have Celeron models, 4GB of RAM (or whatever), 128/64GB SATA SSD options for all of them, and you have one with the Core i5 U series, 16GB of RAM, and so on, which is the POS system and server handling the DB which others access, and so on (heck, might even run the security camera of the store where the HDDs are connected to it via USB which passed in the stand.)

Also don't underestimate the awful programming of old cruddy retail software. Some of the older versions of JDA would struggle to run on a bloody i9...

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think it is more, you have a set of POS systems, and one of them is also used as the server. So you have Celeron models, 4GB of RAM (or whatever), 128/64GB SATA SSD options for all of them, and you have one with the Core i5 U series, 16GB of RAM, and so on, which is the POS system and server handling the DB which others access, and so on (heck, might even run the security camera of the store where the HDDs are connected to it via USB which passed in the stand.)

Well, whoever buys this expensive HP POS system or whatever, I hope their data don't get encrypted by ransomware. ?? 

I'm pretty sure HP's target customers aren't business with just 5-10 employees. 

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I used to work on the floor above the offices of TouchBistro

https://www.touchbistro.com/?pi_ad_id=189445595926&gclid=CIi87tjjuNUCFQJrfgodZusMnQ

...Took me six months to realize I wasn't working above a restaurant.  THEY EVEN HAD BRANDED LITTLE CARS.  I THOUGHT THEY WERE FOR DELIVERIES! D:

My ex once told me he's been into a flower shop that used iPads as POS system and it even printed a receipt. 

Edited by hey_yo_

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Also don't underestimate the awful programming of old cruddy retail software. Some of the older versions of JDA would struggle to run on a bloody i9...

Yup. This is probably because the solution they use was done on the cheap (might still be selling at an arm and leg), where they outsourced everything outside to maximize profits. And you have this garbage, especially running worst being made on Java so that they get to say that it runs on "any" OS. Also, getting good developers for POS system is difficult, as it isn't the most interesting thing to build, unless it is something really fancy and unique.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Well, whoever buys this expensive HP POS system or whatever, I hope their data don't get encrypted by ransomware. ?? 

My ex once told me he's been into a flower shop that used iPads as POS system and it even printed a receipt. 

Yeah.  I don't know anything about the platform itself other than a LOT of smaller restaurants here using it and they do have receipt printers and everything else.  I mean, I've seen android phones used to control robots built of Lego that solve Rubix cubes, so surely a printer is trivial, right?  Ditto with their ability to connect to standard Visa/Debit terminals.  But I imagine it's a lot cheaper and really appeals to smaller businesses.  POS systems are a HUGE buy in.  You don't buy a computer, you buy an entire set of infrastructure fro top to bottom, so I imagine something simpler and app based with accessories is an easier sell to small businesses.

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

POS systems are a HUGE buy in.

If they even allow you to buy, some of the higher-class systems/infrastructures (NCR if I remember) are lease-only.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah.  I don't know anything about the platform itself other than a LOT of smaller restaurants here using it and they do have receipt printers and everything else.  I mean, I've seen android phones used to control robots built of Lego that solve Rubix cubes, so surely a printer is trivial, right?  Ditto with their ability to connect to standard Visa/Debit terminals.  But I imagine it's a lot cheaper and really appeals to smaller businesses.  POS systems are a HUGE buy in.  You don't buy a computer, you buy an entire set of infrastructure fro top to bottom, so I imagine something simpler and app based with accessories is an easier sell to small businesses.

I don't see this HP POS will ever appeal to small businesses. If I own a small bistro with 10 tables or a coffee shop, why would I spend so much money on new computers if I can use my existing iPad? 

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think it is more, you have a set of POS systems, and one of them is also used as the server. So you have Celeron models, 4GB of RAM (or whatever), 128/64GB SATA SSD options for all of them, and you have one with the Core i5 U series, 16GB of RAM, and so on, which is the POS system and server handling the DB which others access, and so on (heck, might even run the security camera of the store where the HDDs are connected to it via USB which passed in the stand to the device)

While it didn't explicit mentioned, in the pictures above you can see a card reader on the right (third picture from the top)

I can see some business getting the Celeron but an i5 plus NVME? I don't think even medium to big enterprises would even bother since those kinds of businesses have already invested on their POS System and security cameras. 

36 minutes ago, smartroad said:

It's sad I've worked in retail for like three years ( i left those kinds of job exactly two years ago) and I still thought of this "adult" abbreviation first

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

53 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The system runs Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and features a variety of configuration, from a low end dual core Celeron CPU to a Core i5 U series latest gen Intel CPU, with configuration going up to 32GB of DDR4 RAM, and supports up to 1TB NVMe SSD

You need 32 gb of ram and 1tb of NVMe ssd to run a point of sale rig? Why aren't these on my convenience store where I'm pretty sure they run rigs from 15 years ago from how fucking long it takes for them to do anything.

-------

Current Rig

-------

38 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

So they no longer have the downgrade option for Windows 7 then? A group I work with just recently updated to HP Windows 10 PoSs and HP sold them with a Windows 7 license downgrade.

It's because of MS ending Windows 7/8/8.1 support on the latest gen processors (which, as indicated in the OP, is what they're using for these systems).

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

to a Core i5 U series latest gen Intel CPU