LTT's exclusive RX Vega teaser makes tech press unhappy

15 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

They are so not trash... Just try to compare the amount of information they give you... The amount of time they put on the reviews.... Now whether they use comedic effect or not is up to you to watch, but find me one YouTube Chanel that post 1 Video per Day 365 days per year with this level of accuracy and professionalism in their reviews...

Spoiler Alert you cant

If that's what you called professionalism you've got another thing coming. Hardware Canucks is professional, Gamers Nexus though may not be completely professional in how they are, their reviews are what I consider top of the line, they go the extra mile to give of the facts that maybe only 1% of the people viewing needs.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Nvidia has a larger budget than AMD does.  And, I didn't bring volta into this, you did.  Why are you so salty about what AMD is doing?  Can we please not make this toxic?

I don't know how you think this is toxic or why you are trying to turn this thing around but I'll just choose to end this off with one last thing, I am not saying what AMD is doing isn't right for business. LTT has the following to give AMD the coverage they want. What I am saying is I can see why these other people aren't happy. Stop using the term salty, it's childish. I put "Poor Volta" into quotations because of the video AMD did about Vega a LONG time ago. AMD is doing this for business, and I get this and I am what some like to call an "AMD Fanboy" though I have intentions of getting a 1080/1080Ti and own a 6700k, though it doesn't mean I agree with it. Stop treating Linus like he is some godsent to the tech community, because he isn't.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

22 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Vega was only supposed to tackle the 1080, not the 1080ti.  You seem really salty about Linus.  

That is exactly what I am worried about. Vega would still be a success if the price of performance per dollar in the upper and lower midrange card is better than nvidia 

42 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

"Poor volta" And the fact that Vega is only meant to tackle a 1080 a year after launch and Volta isn't that long away, is a joke.

Poor Volta in the professional Space yes. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I wonder if AMD ever gave a reason for the delay.  I don't pay too much attention to stuff like this due to my heavier interest in music and gaming.

They did not. I have a feeling they are making a card to compete with 1080ti since it was a unexpected announcement

46 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Low end and high quality are two words you don't put together. You can get "low end" and get something that isn't complete shit though. Like the old I think it was FM1 board he trashed on, the board was fine. Not a damn thing was wrong with it and frankly that is what some people get because it's all they can get their hands on. Or junk cases. I've seen him rant about cheap RAM. He has no respect for technology because in his eyes, if something breaks, he can get right ahold of whomever sent him the part and say "LOLOL I dropped this part, it'll get me a ton of views so can you send another so I don't piss everyone off who actually wanted a video on this part"

You are correct that low end and high quality rarely go together, but i never inferred they did.

What does go together is low end and high value; which means you are getting a good value for the money you are paying on said product.  Many of his videos trashing a cheap product aren't just because the product is "cheap junk", but that for almost the same amount of money you can get something much much better for only a few bucks more.

Sometimes even for people who are on a super tight budget it is worth paying the extra $10 if you are getting a much better product.  And on the low end $10 or less is often the price difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive"; with inexpensive generally being the better product/buy.

You are correct that Linus does have a skewed way at looking at products these days as he rarely has to pay for anything, but he does acknowledge this from time to time and frankly he is able to do this because of the work he has put into his brand. 

1 hour ago, JamieOlive said:

They are so not trash... Just try to compare the amount of information they give you... The amount of time they put on the reviews.... Now whether they use comedic effect or not is up to you to watch, but find me one YouTube Chanel that post 1 Video per Day 365 days per year with this level of accuracy and professionalism in their reviews...

Spoiler Alert you cant

Pictured: Professionalism

Image result for lmg dennis

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, JamieOlive said:

Spoiler Alert you cant

Why does this other youtube channel have to post 1 video per day 365 days a year?

Any channel that does that won't be able to put in the time and effort necessary to produce very high quality reviews.

I think it's better to have one video a week or even one video a month, but with proper information.

The information you get in a LTT video is often extremely shallow and way too frequently it's also wrong.

If you think LTT makes good and informative reviews then you must be fairly new to reviews.

Edit: I am not saying that Linus makes bad videos by the way. Or actually, I think they are bad these days (with the very rare exception) but clearly people like them. You should watch Linus' videos for entertainment purposes though. If you actually want to learn something then LTT might be a good starting point for the basics but that's about it. You won't learn to swim from playing around in rain puddles forever.

3 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

"Poor volta" And the fact that Vega is only meant to tackle a 1080 a year after launch and Volta isn't that long away, is a joke.

Is there any evidence that consumer Volta is coming before Q1/2 2018?  Assuming it's not then you're looking at another 6-9 months after that for Navi. Which, assuming it IS a MCM chip at 7nm, is probably going to hold the consumer high performance crown as well as mid-tier at the very least until nVidia implements their own MCM tech. There's a reason that nVidia released that whitepaper with MIT regarding MCM tech after all. At least unlike Intel nVidia is responding to AMD now instead of scrambling till after product is in the release pipeline.

3 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Is there any evidence that consumer Volta is coming before Q1/2 2018?  Assuming it's not then you're looking at another 6-9 months after that for Navi. Which, assuming it IS a MCM chip at 7nm, is probably going to hold the consumer high performance crown as well as mid-tier at the very least until nVidia implements their own MCM tech. There's a reason that nVidia released that whitepaper with MIT regarding MCM tech after all. At least unlike Intel nVidia is responding to AMD now instead of scrambling till after product is in the release pipeline.

One statement just stood out to me, "Atleast unlike Intel, Nvidia is responding to AMD"
What? It takes more than a few months to respond to something like that, you think they had any plans on calling Skylake-X i9's? No, that was to help with marketing. You think they had any intentions of releasing half of their CPUs at the price point they did? Along with that, Intel just doesn't have a whole new architecture they can pull out of their ass and release a week after Ryzen launched. Skylake-X and Kabylake-X is basically that though we all knew these were coming anyways, it is just a matter of fact they were announced earlier than what we though.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

it's quite baffling how a ginormous amount of floatplaners are new forum posters

Is it? It seems like a normal step to sign up for LTT forums to sign up for floatplane... That seems perfectly reasonable. 

if you want the exclusive coverage instead of LTT then become bigger than LTT. simple

33 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

One statement just stood out to me, "Atleast unlike Intel, Nvidia is responding to AMD"
What? It takes more than a few months to respond to something like that, you think they had any plans on calling Skylake-X i9's? No, that was to help with marketing. You think they had any intentions of releasing half of their CPUs at the price point they did? Along with that, Intel just doesn't have a whole new architecture they can pull out of their ass and release a week after Ryzen launched. Skylake-X and Kabylake-X is basically that though we all knew these were coming anyways, it is just a matter of fact they were announced earlier than what we though.

Which is my point. Intel didn't even bother to keep tabs on what AMD was doing and just kept plodding along so when Ryzen hit they had to scramble. nVidia sees what is on the horizon and is at least starting to try and react now rather than in 12 months when Navi drops. AMD will probably still have an advantage for a bit, but nVidia won't be nearly as unprepared as Intel was.

linus hits  about a million views, tweaktown channel average300 views, the math is simple.

they were looking for viral video, it's an unboxing... this is not a technical review competing with review sites... it's a showtime video looking for trending, tweaktown should get a grip.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Well I am not surprised it is loaded with envy and salt. Linus got special treatment from AMD which has a monetary benefit.

I don't think the conversation should be "are they envious or not" but rather "is their enviousness justified".

Kind of like how a lot of people are jealous of Justin Bieber. He is super rich and super popular, despite being "being shit" (I will withhold my opinion on him because I really haven't cared enough to listen to his music or see how he is as a person) so of course people will be jealous. That does not mean their arguments are invalid though.

There are many ways kitguru could have expressed their displeasure of not getting the exclusive reveal. However there is no need to insult linus, his followers or anyone who prefers their informational from YouTube not at least their unveiled attack on youth.  I am sure you of all people would be the first to argue that  being young does not mean you know less about tech or that your custom is less relevent.   

No, their article describes too many irrelevent opinions in a derisory way to be a mature response to a perceived corporate bias.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

There are many ways kitguru could have expressed there displeasure of not getting the exclusive reveal. However there is no need to insult Linus, his followers or anyone who prefers their informational from YouTube not at least their unveiled attack on youth.

Totally agree, but I found it pretty funny that they made a comparison to Justin Bieber fans, and then a bunch of Linus fans responds with the exact same words as Justin Bieber fans use.

It was an insult, but it seems like their insult was actually pretty accurate, which I find amusing.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I am sure you of all people would be the first to argue that  being young does not mean you know less about tech or that your custom is less relevant.

Why do you think I would be the first to argue that? I mean, I do agree with it to some degree (quite a strong degree) but I don't know why you would think I would agree.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No, their article describes too many irrelevant opinions in a derisory way to be a mature response to a perceived corporate bias.

Well like I said I think there are valid reasons for being concerned about this. That TweakTown writer might have expressed himself in a bad way, but I don't think that will invalidate all arguments against this type of practice (which I gave a few earlier in the thread).

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

LTT's reviews since they moved their offices have turned to trash - even Linus with how own mouth said he's producing entertainment and not reviews

and it's quite baffling how a ginormous amount of floatplaners are new forum posters

Linus has been making his transition into the "Canadian Jeremy Clarkson with sandals" for a while. They can still produce top-tier "informative" content, but it's much more aimed at "the enjoyment of Tech" these days. It's not "bad", just something different.

Though I think the couch is a good change. Linus standing on the set just wasn't as enjoyable as the old house/office.

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Totally agree, but I found it pretty funny that they made a comparison to Justin Bieber fans, and then a bunch of Linus fans responds with the exact same words as Justin Bieber fans use.

It was an insult, but it seems like their insult was actually pretty accurate, which I find amusing.

Why do you think I would be the first to argue that? I mean, I do agree with it to some degree (quite a strong degree) but I don't know why you would think I would agree.

Well like I said I think there are valid reasons for being concerned about this. That TweakTown writer might have expressed himself in a bad way, but I don't think that will invalidate all arguments against this type of practice (which I gave a few earlier in the thread).

Or maybe the response is legitimate.  

I believe you agree because, 1. Thats my interpretation of your persona from the many conversations we've had, and 2. You fit the category of youth still.  

To be honest I wish I still was a youth. Getting old sucks. And in my opinion youth should lead by example not deriden by cranky old farts. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This has gone on long enough... Locked...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99