LTT's exclusive RX Vega teaser makes tech press unhappy

You know, what I find funny is that they wrote:

The crowd seem very young and the level of excitement in the video is so insanely high we almost felt as if we were backstage at a Justin Bieber concert.

and then when you read the comments it's full of "you're just jealous" which is EXACTLY the "argument" Justin Bieber fans have been using to defend Justin from any type of criticism.

Maybe there is more to that comparison than meets the eye at first glance.

Jealousy is always bad, it leads to things that people always regret later.

29 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You know, what I find funny is that they wrote:

and then when you read the comments it's full of "you're just jealous" which is EXACTLY the "argument" Justin Bieber fans have been using to defend Justin from any type of criticism.

Maybe there is more to that comparison than meets the eye at first glance.

The article from kitguru certainly read like it was loaded with envy and salt.   Regardless of what justin beiber or his fans might think.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The article from kitguru certainly read like it was loaded with envy and salt.   Regardless of what justin beiber or his fans might think.

Well I am not surprised it is loaded with envy and salt. Linus got special treatment from AMD which has a monetary benefit.

I don't think the conversation should be "are they envious or not" but rather "is their enviousness justified".

Kind of like how a lot of people are jealous of Justin Bieber. He is super rich and super popular, despite being "being shit" (I will withhold my opinion on him because I really haven't cared enough to listen to his music or see how he is as a person) so of course people will be jealous. That does not mean their arguments are invalid though.

11 hours ago, Dark Force said:

Two small shops that many have never heard of until today are unhappy. But since this is how they decided to introduce themselves to the world in this adolescent manner, I'm sure that there are plenty of folks that aren't going to be put off by their whining.

Kitguru has the best case reviews in my opinion. I stand corrected: Kitguru is the only place with case reviews I'm aware of, other than random dudes making a youtube video. Everywhere else I tried is just an unboxing.

Regarding the topic, though: I approach "tech press" the same way I approach any press: I'm here for the object, not the messenger. I may or may not care about a news/product/whatever, but I certainly do not care about the journalist's feelings. It's like when sport journalists whine that certain teams refuse to give interviews, or the press facilities at an event are bad, or whatever: I don't care. You are not the news. You just tell the news. How you feel about something is not news.

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

or the press facilities at an event are bad, or whatever: I don't care. You are not the news. You just tell the news. How you feel about something is not news.

Well, to be fair, bad press facilities would directly and negatively impact the ability to have the news reported, which would then impact your ability to consume the news.

9 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Kitguru has the best case reviews in my opinion. I stand corrected: Kitguru is the only place with case reviews I'm aware of, other than random dudes making a youtube video. Everywhere else I tried is just an unboxing.

Regarding the topic, though: I approach "tech press" the same way I approach any press: I'm here for the object, not the messenger. I may or may not care about a news/product/whatever, but I certainly do not care about the journalist's feelings. It's like when sport journalists whine that certain teams refuse to give interviews, or the press facilities at an event are bad, or whatever: I don't care. You are not the news. You just tell the news. How you feel about something is not news.

Hardware Canucks, does awesome case reviews too.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

HC, like LTT, tries to sell you shit rather than review the product

---

back on topic

few launches ago, AMD declined to send review samples to [H] and Linus said he'll help them

now, Linus is part of the problem

Just now, zMeul said:

HC, like LTT, tries to sell you shit rather than review the product

---

back on topic

few launches ago, AMD declined to send review samples to [H] and Linus said he'll help them

now .. Linus is part of the problem

They do talk about the pros and cons of a case, not just a stupid unboxing.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

23 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, to be fair, bad press facilities would directly and negatively impact the ability to have the news reported, which would then impact your ability to consume the news.

I'm literally thinking of sports commentators complaining about the comfort of their chairs or whether free beverages were provided to them. I guess there could be examples of actual obstructions to news reporting. But then obstruction of news reporting would be a valid news topic.

How they feel about it, however, I still don't care.

22 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I don't know if I'd subscribe that, but then again, I haven't watched much from them either. I guess I'll have that in mind next time I want to know about a case and see how it goes.

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

They do talk about the pros and cons of a case, not just a stupid unboxing.

sure mate, have you seen their reviews lately?

KitGuru actually builds inside them

I would be unhappy too. I agree with that Kitguru article that it can give AMD a rather non-unified launch for a product that's been getting some bad press lately to begin with.

I don't even understand the point about how this is a slippery slope. It's just another teaser, I see no indication they'll start giving exclusive rights for early reviews or anything like that.

Also,

The video is very light on details and has a lot of ‘oohing and aahing’ over bundled cables-

-the level of excitement in the video is so insanely high we almost felt as if we were backstage at a Justin Bieber concert.

I think someone doesn't understand the difference between hopelessly excessive enthusiasm and comically excessive enthusiasm.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Also,

I think someone doesn't understand the difference between hopelessly excessive enthusiasm and comically excessive enthusiasm.

Yup.  Linus could have proclaimed 'Packing Peanuts!' and the the crowd would have ironically gone 'Ooooooo.'

21 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

No, linus treats tech like shit and is constantly shitting on low end shit.

He doesn't crap on "low end Sh&t" because it's low end.  He trashes low quality products that aren't worth the price despite being made to tailor(take advantage) to people on a budget.  

There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive and his low end mice/keyboard videos prove that he can and will notate the difference. 

16 hours ago, MageTank said:

That's not the context in which we are speaking though. In this sense, the "integrity" is in the context of their "unified unveiling" that they spoke of. I am not questioning the integrity of their reviews and testing methodologies, but rather them being angry at another outlet having exclusive access, when they themselves would have taken the same opportunity if offered. The same can be said of those very same reviewers you brought up, albeit, this wasn't a review, as much as it was an unveiling in general. 

Unveiling a product has nothing to do with "selling out their credibility". It's why I find these people's complaints to be childish, as all it did was show off a single cinebench score, and the visuals of the product. We know nothing about how it actually performs under various loads, nor do we know anything about Vega (the video failed to load DOOM as promised, and was cut short before any actual gaming footage released). 

TL:DR? These reviewers would have taken this same opportunity if it were them. Their frustration only stems from the fact that it wasn't them. The reviewers that understand how things work, are the ones not complaining, nor do they care, as this won't impact them in any way. 

Yeah and they aren't the only one who have cinebench demonstration 

there is literally nothing that was exclusive besides the reveal of the product which is not a big deal because without specifics about pricing and other information it gives less info than the leaks tbh.

22 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

No, I'd be unhappy because Linus videos are for more of a comedic effect now and even when he tries to be serious he always fucks up somehow. Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a LTT product review. They're all trash

Sadly I have to agree.

When threadripper details emerged a couple of days ago, I watched for details on it on Paul's Hardware and Hardware Unboxing, not Linus, even though the videos both showed up in my feed.

Every time Linus tries to explain something nowadays, it just gets lost in the silly puns and "comedic effect" sidejokes (haha not funny though). Meanwhile, outfits like Paul's hardware and Jayz2cents actually focus on the core of the matter, trying to explain all these confusing product launches (because who can keep up with how many cores / threads each processor has and which motherboard it has nowadays, with X299, theadripper, Ryzen 3, etc all launching at the same time!).

I am increasingly dissapointed in Linustechtips content. I just avoid it now sadly.

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I have to agree. Whenever I look for a case review, they always have one for the case I am looking at. They go really in depth. Maybe a bit too positive now and again, but they take reviewing the cases seriously at least. I cannot think of another channel doing better/more case reviews.

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Sadly I have to agree.

When threadripper details emerged a couple of days ago, I watched for details on it on Paul's Hardware and Hardware Unboxing, not Linus, even though the videos both showed up in my feed.

Every time Linus tries to explain something nowadays, it just gets lost in the silly puns and "comedic effect" sidejokes (haha not funny though). Meanwhile, outfits like Paul's hardware and Jayz2cents actually focus on the core of the matter, trying to explain all these confusing product launches (because who can keep up with how many cores / threads each processor has and which motherboard it has nowadays, with X299, theadripper, Ryzen 3, etc all launching at the same time!).

I am increasingly dissapointed in Linustechtips content. I just avoid it now sadly.

Yeah I usually like to go to other sites for in depth reviews but I do still watch Linus videos about stuff that other channels don't cover.

20 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I wrote a really long post and then accidentally closed the tab, and it was not saved... I feel like crying now.

Quick recreation/summary of my post:

I don't think people fully understand why embargoes are important, and why giving special treatment is frowned upon.

Imagine if Gamers Nexus were allowed to post their full Vega RX review a few days before anyone else was. That would give them a massive amount of views. That's good for them. The bad side of things is that most people don't visit every single publication to read their reviews. They read one or two. So for each view one site gets, other sites might be missing out on views. That means that having an unfair advantage where you can post content first will harm other reviewers.

With that being said, what Linus did was such a small thing that I don't think it will harm any other outlets, but it is definitely a small (very small) step in the wrong direction.

If Linus keeps getting special treatment from AMD then I think it would warrant anger/frustration. As it is right now I think it's just slightly worrying.

I think it is slightly worrying because Linus has a very large percentage of "dedicated AMD supporters" and considering how often he justifies his decisions by saying it gives him more views, I would honestly not be surprised if he would be OK with skewing his content to line up with predefined conclusions his audience had. If he gets more special privileges from AMD then that might push him into that direction even more (as well as enabling it on a much grander scale).

That is to say, I am worried Linus will start filling his content with misleading stuff just because it might bring him more views.

I can't really blame Linus for accepting this opportunity either. I think it will be really poor taste of him if he keeps accepting special treatments though.

They really didn't give them anything exclusive besides the reveal.

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah and they aren't the only one who have cinebench demonstration 

there is literally nothing that was exclusive besides the reveal of the product which is not a big deal because without specifics about pricing and other information it gives less info than the leaks tbh.

22 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

No, I'd be unhappy because Linus videos are for more of a comedic effect now and even when he tries to be serious he always fucks up somehow. Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a LTT product review. They're all trash

They are so not trash... Just try to compare the amount of information they give you... The amount of time they put on the reviews.... Now whether they use comedic effect or not is up to you to watch, but find me one YouTube Chanel that post 1 Video per Day 365 days per year with this level of accuracy and professionalism in their reviews...

Spoiler Alert you cant

2 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

They are so not trash... Just try to compare the amount of information they give you... The amount of time they put on the reviews.... Now whether they use comedic effect or not is up to you to watch, but find me one YouTube Chanel that post 1 Video per Day 365 days per year with this level of accuracy and professionalism in their reviews...

LTT's reviews since they moved their offices have turned to trash - even Linus with how own mouth said he's producing entertainment and not reviews

and it's quite baffling how a ginormous amount of floatplaners are new forum posters

21 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Vega was only supposed to tackle the 1080, not the 1080ti.  You seem really salty about Linus.  

"Poor volta" And the fact that Vega is only meant to tackle a 1080 a year after launch and Volta isn't that long away, is a joke.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

20 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I have stopped watching regularly for the most part since they stopped doing Case Reviews, which is something I focus on because I like interesting case designs.

I really love watching Hardware Canucks, I'll likely never most cases he's reviewed and I don't agree with some of his cases. He is what got me to buy a Silent Base 800, which IMO he gave far more credit then what it deserved.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

38 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

He doesn't crap on "low end Sh&t" because it's low end.  He trashes low quality products that aren't worth the price despite being made to tailor(take advantage) to people on a budget.  

There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive and his low end mice/keyboard videos prove that he can and will notate the difference. 

Low end and high quality are two words you don't put together. You can get "low end" and get something that isn't complete shit though. Like the old I think it was FM1 board he trashed on, the board was fine. Not a damn thing was wrong with it and frankly that is what some people get because it's all they can get their hands on. Or junk cases. I've seen him rant about cheap RAM. He has no respect for technology because in his eyes, if something breaks, he can get right ahold of whomever sent him the part and say "LOLOL I dropped this part, it'll get me a ton of views so can you send another so I don't piss everyone off who actually wanted a video on this part"