LTT's exclusive RX Vega teaser makes tech press unhappy

All those other journalist can go hold all the L's Linus' dropped for their convenience. xP

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

18 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

You mean is. The event is supposed to take place in like 8 hours or so.

It's a bad omen though. Very bad.

wow... 'mericans are slow, they don't get 7:30 P.M. for like another 6 hours? lol

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I wrote a really long post and then accidentally closed the tab, and it was not saved... I feel like crying now.

Quick recreation/summary of my post:

I don't think people fully understand why embargoes are important, and why giving special treatment is frowned upon.

Imagine if Gamers Nexus were allowed to post their full Vega RX review a few days before anyone else was. That would give them a massive amount of views. That's good for them. The bad side of things is that most people don't visit every single publication to read their reviews. They read one or two. So for each view one site gets, other sites might be missing out on views. That means that having an unfair advantage where you can post content first will harm other reviewers.

With that being said, what Linus did was such a small thing that I don't think it will harm any other outlets, but it is definitely a small (very small) step in the wrong direction.

If Linus keeps getting special treatment from AMD then I think it would warrant anger/frustration. As it is right now I think it's just slightly worrying.

I think it is slightly worrying because Linus has a very large percentage of "dedicated AMD supporters" and considering how often he justifies his decisions by saying it gives him more views, I would honestly not be surprised if he would be OK with skewing his content to line up with predefined conclusions his audience had. If he gets more special privileges from AMD then that might push him into that direction even more (as well as enabling it on a much grander scale).

That is to say, I am worried Linus will start filling his content with misleading stuff just because it might bring him more views.

I can't really blame Linus for accepting this opportunity either. I think it will be really poor taste of him if he keeps accepting special treatments though.

43 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not that I fully disagree with you here (There's some truth to what you're saying) but you've got to look at what's the alternative for big channels: They'd have to go to someone like Casey Neistat to go with someone who has a far bigger reach but look at what promotional videos Casey does: AMD clearly doesn't has Casey Neistat PR budget money (For example his last controversial sponsor was Samsung, far bigger deal than AMD) They do have LTT budget on the other hand and while the audience reach is not as big (though not that much smaller, a considerable chunk but still) Linus actually has an even greater correlation to gamers, enthusiasts and the kind of people that would buy AMD products.

Wut?  Lol. Any idea what dev cost are for gpus?  They might not have samsung mArket cap, but they can pay whoever they want for advertisement. 

How do you show off your new product to as many people possible? Give it to the guy/s that gets the most views.

IMO it is kinda pathetic of them to get mad about this at least to the degree where they have to go on Facebook and such to ramble, keep it to yourself. The things he showed off was close to nothing and was TBH just a small teaser, there are still a lot to cover.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

No, I'd be unhappy because Linus videos are for more of a comedic effect now and even when he tries to be serious he always fucks up somehow. Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a LTT product review. They're all trash

I have stopped watching regularly for the most part since they stopped doing Case Reviews, which is something I focus on because I like interesting case designs.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My beef: they're acting as if these kinds of narrow exclusives are rare.  They happen all the time in tech -- they're just not that common in the GPU space.

If there's a bigger issue, it's that these one-site exclusives can easily turn into fawning puff pieces.  For example, The Verge has had a few exclusives with Google that felt like marketing with a news angle.  I don't think LTT would compromise its voice for an exclusive, but there's always the risk that getting privileged access makes you feel compelled to write positive material (both to score another exclusive and for the "gee wow" nature of an early look).

Seeing things like this always makes me wonder, would they still be saying this if they were the ones who were offered the exclusive coverage? Would their "integrity" decline the offer? I highly doubt it. It just seems like petty jealousy, especially because what was published gave no real information about the products outside of what we already knew from leaks. There will still be traffic to tech outlets for real reviews. A product demo is nothing close to a real review.

I see it as this; AMD knew Linus was preparing an event, they saw a potential PR benefit from it, and it was a mutual benefit for them both. AMD got free coverage, Linus got to treat his fans that actually traveled to an event, to a special reveal.

If anyone should be mad from this deal, it should be AMD or Alienware. What I saw was a video demonstrating how Threadripper's IMC (or Alienware's custom motherboard) failed to post with those SK Hynix Dominator Platinums, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

4 hours ago, Humbug said:

Linus Tech Tips is massive though.

so AMD would give it to them for max coverage.

That, and it was at a live unveiling with about a thousand people to tweet about it as well. Seems like a good marketing tactic to build hype if you ask me.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

I find it really funny how Tweaktown is the first one to call Linus out. The page/company/whatever that has some of the lowest quality material. The quality of their content/posts has been falling in the last year or two so fast, they should start focusing on real problems. Even many of their news that I saw when I was following them are straight up reworded WCCFTech rumors. 

I would get it if some other company that would do a much better job at getting all the info from units would to call Linus, but TweakTown, really? Next thing you know WCCF is gonna do it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Can mods start insta deleting any Vega "news" posts that don't have the words "Vega" and "Benchmarked" in the subject line?

That'd be great.

Image result for that'd be great

But feel free to carry on buying into this nonsense that distracts from what actually matters about a product launch: the fucking product!

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Would their "integrity" decline the offer? I highly doubt it.

Just adding to that, integrity/credibility is money in the tech media world.   Just like scientists and publications,  enthusiasts and peers watch with a very close eye and are very ready to jump on any review that is not up to scratch.     This is why pcper, GN and johnnyguru enjoy a somewhat authoritarian respect on most forums.   Who are people most likely to dismiss in a forum discussion wccftech/tweaktown or GN/pcper?   I know who my bets are on. 

So, long story short,  give exclusives to who ever and let them decide if they have enough integrity to maintain respect from their viewers and not try to sell our their own credibility for a few more dollars.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Can mods start insta deleting any Vega "news" posts that don't have the words "Vega" and "Benchmarked" in the subject line?

That'd be great.

Image result for that'd be great

But feel free to carry on buying into this nonsense that distracts from what actually matters about a product launch: the fucking product!

there is a big difference between discussing what is currently happening and "buying into nonsense".  You make it sound like people are deluding themselves about the product (it is mostly speculation and people do recgonise that).   If you don't want to discuss it, then wait until hard benchmarks are out before posting in threads on the topic.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

From the way the tech press and some people are acting you would swear AMD gave LMG an exclusive product review of vega and TR for LTX. People are so petty and stupid at times I'm amazed humanity survived for so long.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

16 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I'm amazed humanity survived for so long.

lol good one. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

45 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Just adding to that, integrity/credibility is money in the tech media world.   Just like scientists and publications,  enthusiasts and peers watch with a very close eye and are very ready to jump on any review that is not up to scratch.     This is why pcper, GN and johnnyguru enjoy a somewhat authoritarian respect on most forums.   Who are people most likely to dismiss in a forum discussion wccftech/tweaktown or GN/pcper?   I know who my bets are on. 

So, long story short,  give exclusives to who ever and let them decide if they have enough integrity to maintain respect from their viewers and not try to sell our their own credibility for a few more dollars.

That's not the context in which we are speaking though. In this sense, the "integrity" is in the context of their "unified unveiling" that they spoke of. I am not questioning the integrity of their reviews and testing methodologies, but rather them being angry at another outlet having exclusive access, when they themselves would have taken the same opportunity if offered. The same can be said of those very same reviewers you brought up, albeit, this wasn't a review, as much as it was an unveiling in general. 

Unveiling a product has nothing to do with "selling out their credibility". It's why I find these people's complaints to be childish, as all it did was show off a single cinebench score, and the visuals of the product. We know nothing about how it actually performs under various loads, nor do we know anything about Vega (the video failed to load DOOM as promised, and was cut short before any actual gaming footage released). 

TL:DR? These reviewers would have taken this same opportunity if it were them. Their frustration only stems from the fact that it wasn't them. The reviewers that understand how things work, are the ones not complaining, nor do they care, as this won't impact them in any way. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

who cares, so he "unboxed it" that shit was leaked already, it's not like the video showed ACTUAL TESTING before the embargo lifts late tonight (predicting, since the event occurs at 7:30pm PST and will be posted online after the event ends).

25 minutes ago, MageTank said:

TL:DR? These reviewers would have taken this same opportunity if it were them. Their frustration only stems from the fact that it wasn't them. The reviewers that understand how things work, are the ones not complaining, nor do they care, as this won't impact them in any way. 

Exactly, I am agreeing with you.    I just see integrity and credibility going further than just bench marking parameters.

I will echo what many have said. Boohoo smaller journalist. I watch Linus for one reason, he gets to do wtf he wants to. He pushed his channel in a direction we wanted to, makes the kind of content he likes and because of that he got big. Linus gets to be the crazy mofo he always was, loves tech and makes money because of it. I'll be honest, I feel as if many others are more techie than him. He's like a grown kid that likes shiny. He's pretty knowledgeable but he likes to do crazy stuff and I'm okay with that. Maybe because I've dropped tens of thousands on tech stuff where I understand it?

Sorry but LTT is the only place where dropping an item serves as a test of rigidity and loyalty.

Linus be destroying other techies yo.

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

I honestly don't understand the hate Kitguru and TweakTown are throwing right now. And the article saying that "the tech press is unhappy" when it is Kitguru and TweakTown referencing each other is very disingenuous. Two small shops that many have never heard of until today are unhappy. But since this is how they decided to introduce themselves to the world in this adolescent manner, I'm sure that there are plenty of folks that aren't going to be put off by their whining.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

<snip>

I don't think people fully understand why embargoes are important, and why giving special treatment is frowned upon.

<snip>

It would be one thing if Linus had exclusive rights to release benchmarks and/or pricing information. If that had been the case, then I would have 100% agreed with you. But this wasn't that, it was just an unboxing. And not the only one at that. Pictures of the new Vega GPU were all over the internet yesterday from plenty of other reviewers and tech personalities - and a lot of those pictures showed more information about the card than what Linus did during the unboxing on stage.

LOL unhappy about the teaser? All he did was unbox the limited edition Vega 64... there was no benchmarks or anything hell the pictures were all over the net a week ago.... The event looked Badass and it was only a single day earlier... ALL he did really was cinebench threadripper.... All those tech press was just going to put up pictures But Linus showed it to hundreds of people extreme hype

3 hours ago, Dark Force said:

I honestly don't understand the hate Kitguru and TweakTown are throwing right now. And the article saying that "the tech press is unhappy" when it is Kitguru and TweakTown referencing each other is very disingenuous. Two small shops that many have never heard of until today are unhappy. But since this is how they decided to introduce themselves to the world in this adolescent manner, I'm sure that there are plenty of folks that aren't going to be put off by their whining.

It would be one thing if Linus had exclusive rights to release benchmarks and/or pricing information. If that had been the case, then I would have 100% agreed with you. But this wasn't that, it was just an unboxing. And not the only one at that. Pictures of the new Vega GPU were all over the internet yesterday from plenty of other reviewers and tech personalities - and a lot of those pictures showed more information about the card than what Linus did during the unboxing on stage.

They have both been around longer than LTT,  which kinda makes the childish articles they wrote even worse.  Not too sure if that's jealousy as well as feeling like they are missing out or what.  

So what, exclusive teaser reveal. No salt needed. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |