Getting new mobo and cpu soon. Will I have to buy windows?

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

From what I remember, it's pretty much like you said. Sign into your microsoft account and it links the key and then you just sign in on the new device and the activation should be moved over. Worst case, you use the phone activation method and tell them 1 computer when asked how many it's installed on.

Im upgrading from the FM2A88M Pro3+ mobo and AMD Athlon x4 860k cpu to the h81m-p33 mobo and the i5 4590 cpu. I was looking at benchmarks and all that stuff about the cpu when I came across someone saying that

when you get a new motherboard and cpu you have to buy or re activate windows. I have no clue what so ever how to do that. I saw that the new Windows 10 anniversary update had an option where you could sign in with

a microsoft account and I think it lets you get windows on a new mobo for free but I dont know how to do it. I'm guessing that when I turn on my pc it will just ask for the activation key and I just sign in and re install from there ?? I honestly dont know. 

From what I remember, it's pretty much like you said. Sign into your microsoft account and it links the key and then you just sign in on the new device and the activation should be moved over. Worst case, you use the phone activation method and tell them 1 computer when asked how many it's installed on.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Ok I just didnt want to spend like $100 to get windows 10 pro again. Thanks man this helped alot.

I recently lost my activation due to an upgrade, I called Microsoft as I don't use an online account.  The guy asked me for proof of purchase, sent a picture of it and he gave me a new license key.  Was surprised it was so easy.  Took all of 5 mins.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.8ghz | Motherboard: GIGABYTE Gaming Z270XP-SLI | Graphics Card: AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 250GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe | 2 x Seagate 1TB [raid1] - overflow stuff | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb [raid0] - games | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Case: Corsair 400C | Cooling: Kraken x62 AIO | 3 x Corsair AF140 | 1x Noctua  NF-F12 | SoundSoundblaster Zx through  KRK Rokit G5 monitors 

To be updated... when I get time