upgrading an old system for a friend

Hello,

I'm posting this for a friend because hes not so familiar with linus tech tips so I thought I could do it for him .
He has a 100 euros to upgrade something in this system

Specs:
M5a97 evo 2 motherboard

Amd fx 8150 @3.6 ghz

Arctic 13 freezer Cpu cooler

Kingston Ddr3 ram 2x4

Gtx 660

2x hdd 500 gb

750w crossair psu

So his problem is about FPS drops from 70 fps to 20 for example when alot of CPU intensive things are happening.

and even tho he doesn't play intensive games , playing on low all the time bothers him so here is what I suggested : 
1) Since he has a mobo that has VRAM heatsinks and has an aftermarket cooler , maybe he could overclock the cpu to help with intensive moments while gaming,

and selling his 660 for 50-60 bucks and adding the 100 euros so he can get a 1050 ti .
2) My second Idea was selling his mobo and cpu and ram as a bundle and getting a ryzen 1200 instead , and upgrade GPU as soon as he can 

and he was thinking of selling the pc for minimum of 350 euros towards a used PC off ebay for 500 euros or so .
Do you agree with my ideas or do you have something els ?  

Sell the 660, get a 1050ti.

see if you can get him on an SSD as well

And yes, overclock that cpu

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Just now, Jrock said:

Sell the 660, get a 1050ti.

see if you can get him on an SSD as well

the fps drops are being caused by the cpu tho 
Am I right there ? 
Do you agree with overclocking it ?

Sell 660, buy a 1050 ti or 1050+ssd, and then oc the cpu

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, NewBieDavid said:

Am I right there ? 

There isn't much we can do about the CPU without going with a new platform though, upgrading here will require quite the spending and can't be made that cheap

OC the CPU and get a 1050ti, SSD would be cool but not a demand if he doesn't mind the slow loads.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, NewBieDavid said:

Am I right there ? 

Drops are probably caused by the gpu tbh.

Overclock the cpu, sell the gpu and get a 1050 and an ssd(or stretch your budget and a 1050ti and a ssd)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :(