i7-2600k, still good for today?

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap upgrade from my Athlon.

I found a 2600k for a good price, but I'm not too sure how the 2600k does today.

Is it still good enough?

I plan on playing Battlefield 1, I've heard it's a very CPU demanding game, how well does it do?

My other choice is an i7-4770 + mobo + ram, but it's more expensive.

Second hand i5's are undoable, they're sold for ridiculous prices or too slow for what I need.

the 4770 is going to be MUCH better, but why do you need the RAM? you can just reuse the RAM you have as long as its DDR3 which the 2600K needs anyway

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Hi,

I found a 2600k for a good price, but I'm not too sure how the 2600k does today.

Is it still good enough?

I plan on playing Battlefield 1, I've heard it's a very CPU demanding game, how well does it do?

Second hand i5's are undoable, they're sold for ridiculous prices or too slow for what I need.

Sure, if you look at Gamer Nexus's recent video, you can see that the 2700k has aged pretty well.

Good luck finding a good condition mobo though.

As you can see, it still beats Kaby Lake i5s in many things including gaming, but consider overclocking a nessesity.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

My friend has one with a stock cooler. Performance-wise should be similar to Devils Canyon (I have a 4690K @ 4.5GHz), maybe a little less. It will do decent, probably enough for 1080p. It should be enough to run esports titles without issues. AAA titles might also work (with the right GPU). 

IMO you should however go for something newer. It's a quite old chip and I don't think it'll last you that long. If you were still using it today, it would be fine, but upgrading to it today seems not worth it (depends for how much you get it).

As the others also replied, you should examine the GN analysis and comparisons of Sandy bridge today in detail.

28 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

-snip-

I think the hard part will be to find a Z67 or Z77 board for the 2600K. I myself got a 2700K last summer for $130 as a slight upgrade from my 2500K. Well worth it.

Though if you're playing Battlefield, I would say go for the 4770K if possible. That game is very CPU intensive.

Definitely check out the Gamer's Nexus video.

42 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Hi,

Is it still good enough?

If that 2600k can achieve a 4.6ghz+ or ideally 5ghz+ clock without much trouble its still more then viable, most 2600k's can achieve some pretty amazing overclocks.

A overclocked 2600k is about only 15-20% slower then a 7700k with the similar clocks and this diminishes even more depending on the application.

At 1440p I saw maybe a 6-10 fps difference in gaming between my 2600k and 7700k.

BF1 is one of those games that actually benefits from core count, you would ideally benefit the most from having more then 4 cores but either of those 2 cpu choices would run it just fine.

If you are using a 1080p monitor you would see more benefit going with the 4770 though unless you get lucky enough with that 2600k being a god tier chip.

Only reason I personally moved too a 7700k is because finding a replacement mobo for my 2600k was way too pricey and I couldn't justify spending 300$ or morer on a old z77 mobo.

6 minutes ago, deepfriedcpus said:

Only reason I personally moved too a 7700k is because finding a replacement mobo for my 2600k was way too pricey and I couldn't justify spending 300$ or morer on a old z77 mobo.

Yeah, the Z77 motherboards are stupid overpriced now. It's sad because I see 2500Ks going for $40-50 on ebay now.

I actually might have to go for the next Intel Gen because of the darn 4KHD BluRay DRM scheme.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Yeah, the Z77 motherboards are stupid overpriced now. It's sad because I see 2500Ks going for $40-50 on ebay now.

I actually might have to go for the next Intel Gen because of the darn 4KHD BluRay DRM scheme.

Yeah the price for those is justifiable when you realize that a 2600k was released in 2011, a majority of them hit 5ghz with no issues even on air and with water cooling going above 5ghz. A 6+ year old chip that overclocked has no issues keeping up even with a 2017 i7.

Yeah I couldn't justify selling my 2600k,she did 5.3ghz+ since 2011 and benched 5.7 a few times. I framed that baby and put it on my office wall.

Hhmm, the motherboard problem.. I hadn't thought about that, but they're indeed hard to get.

The 4770k is just out of my budget, it's a great chip so I might consider it, and the guy gives me a motherboard with it.

I might consider it.

The motherboards that support the 2600k, you can still get some new but they have like a 4 week arrival time, if they arrive at all.

1 hour ago, deWaardt said:

Hhmm, the motherboard problem.. I hadn't thought about that, but they're indeed hard to get.

The 4770k is just out of my budget, it's a great chip so I might consider it, and the guy gives me a motherboard with it.

I might consider it.

The motherboards that support the 2600k, you can still get some new but they have like a 4 week arrival time, if they arrive at all.

For new motherboards your best bet is probably Aliexpress, I've bought a few things from the sellers there and I've had no problems

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

I think it's solid. I'm pretty sure @Fonzie92 just got one, and is really happy with it (Sorry if I tagged the wrong person).

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 hours ago, deepfriedcpus said:

Yeah the price for those is justifiable when you realize that a 2600k was released in 2011, a majority of them hit 5ghz with no issues even on air and with water cooling going above 5ghz. A 6+ year old chip that overclocked has no issues keeping up even with a 2017 i7.

Yeah I couldn't justify selling my 2600k,she did 5.3ghz+ since 2011 and benched 5.7 a few times. I framed that baby and put it on my office wall.

Dang, 5.7...that's scary.

I got to 4.9 GHz and hit my thermal limit of my AIO. Though I'm really happy with it. No issues with gaming (Though my games are just PS4 ports on steam...casual stuff). Also day to day use (programming / browsing / 3D modeling for me) is great. I saw a good reduction in CPU usage vs my 2500K.

You mean this video?

The i7 2600k is still a good processor by all means.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Dang, 5.7...that's scary.

I got to 4.9 GHz and hit my thermal limit of my AIO. Though I'm really happy with it. No issues with gaming (Though my games are just PS4 ports on steam...casual stuff). Also day to day use (programming / browsing / 3D modeling for me) is great. I saw a good reduction in CPU usage vs my 2500K.

Although pretty much unrelated, MUST BE NICE my 4790k only does 4.5ghz. 4.6 is literally just NOT stable even at 1.35v

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

42 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Although pretty much unrelated, MUST BE NICE my 4790k only does 4.5ghz. 4.6 is literally just NOT stable even at 1.35v

My friend's 4670K I can't even get much past 100MHz...any attempt to add voltage, it skyrockets in temps (this is without even touching the voltage either...on a 240mm AIO). Yeah, I need to delid it, but I haven't bought the tool yet (WIll do so).

Yeah, there's nothing like the thrill of Sandy Bridge...2700K from 3.9 GHz boost to 4.9 GHz boost...these chips were and still are scary overclockers...

30 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

My friend's 4670K I can't even get much past 100MHz...any attempt to add voltage, it skyrockets in temps (this is without even touching the voltage either...on a 240mm AIO). Yeah, I need to delid it, but I haven't bought the tool yet (WIll do so).

Yeah, there's nothing like the thrill of Sandy Bridge...2700K from 3.9 GHz boost to 4.9 GHz boost...these chips were and still are scary overclockers...

Temps aren't even bad for me, but what sucks is, at 4.9ghz a 2600k/2700k is probably just as fast if not faster than my 4790k at 4.5...

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

1 hour ago, Vegetable said:

Temps aren't even bad for me, but what sucks is, at 4.9ghz a 2600k/2700k is probably just as fast if not faster than my 4790k at 4.5...

Ah, I don't think it's that close. the 4790K I think has a 10-15% IPC advantage at least over sandy. At least I hope so. haha.

I might have got a deal on a 2600k with a motherboard.

My other choice right now is a locked 3770 with an MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard.

The 4770 is out of the question unfortunately, the guy isn't responding at all.

Overclocking the 2600k could give me better performance than a locked 3770 wouldn't it?

21 hours ago, Vegetable said:

I owned that chip and that processor is a good 15% higher in IPC, Sucks that you didn't win the silicon lottery i had mine at 4.7 1.225V prime stable. Hot little guy even with a 280 AIO. 

I've been using my i7-2600 for a long time now and its performance is just good. I'm sure with a nice overclock the i7-2600k will be very good. If the deal is good, I would say go for it.

22 hours ago, apaydinabdul said:

I've been using my i7-2600 for a long time now and its performance is just good. I'm sure with a nice overclock the i7-2600k will be very good. If the deal is good, I would say go for it.

Contacted the guy, the motherboard he sells it with isn't even compatible with the 2600k >.< 

Welp, would €250 be worth it for a locked i7-3770 with an MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard? Price seems a bit high, but I could be wrong.

I know it's a Z77 motherboard with a locked CPU so that's a bit of a waste, but whatever.

2600k is about out of the question at this point, searched every available site and asked around for a bit but no good compatible motherboards anywhere.

How would the 4670k compare?

I know it's a hot chip, but how would it compare to the 3770 in terms of gaming performance?

Can get one for roughly the same price (€265) with a z87 motherboard.

6 hours ago, deWaardt said:

Contacted the guy, the motherboard he sells it with isn't even compatible with the 2600k >.< 

Welp, would €250 be worth it for a locked i7-3770 with an MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard? Price seems a bit high, but I could be wrong.

I know it's a Z77 motherboard with a locked CPU so that's a bit of a waste, but whatever.

2600k is about out of the question at this point, searched every available site and asked around for a bit but no good compatible motherboards anywhere.

How would the 4670k compare?

I know it's a hot chip, but how would it compare to the 3770 in terms of gaming performance?

Can get one for roughly the same price (€265) with a z87 motherboard.

I don't know anythinf about the Intel series between Sandy Bridge and Skylake, so I'm sorry I can't help any further.

The only thing I would like to say is that you should always buy an unlocked cpu if you're going to use an "old" cpu (not skylake or kabylake).

Purchased i7-3770

I'm happy, FPS are good :)

Yea for bf1 you will be ok. Really depends on the other games. I have issues with both my CPUs at certain points. Bf1 will peg the CPU but I never had An issue. Games like bo3 however...

IMG_2010.JPG

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz