Best and Easiest to Learn Programming Language

asdfghjkl987

Hey guys

I want to learn how to code but I am unsure on what language to learn.

I already know a bit of HTML but I want to be able to eventually make apps and simple programs and work up from there.

Any help s great

Thanks

python

Just now, jaffer said:

python

is there a website or youtube channel I can goto? I know there is code academy but is that the best?

1 minute ago, jaffer said:

python

Yup. If you have a Mac, Swift as well.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, jorge97 said:

is there a website or youtube channel I can goto? I know there is code academy but is that the best?

i'm not sure about the best way of learning, but some youtube playlists like this are worth a binge  

I didn't really learn python through tutorials, but python does list some resources that will help you

https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

https://www.python.org/about/gettingstarted/

Also a great way of learning is to look at what other people have made and try to understand what every line of code means, if you want to do that you can look at some python "recipies"

http://code.activestate.com/recipes/langs/python/

c# is a more general purpose language.

perl is superior to python for any sort of scripting, imo.  I use it all day log for text parsing and such.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

8 minutes ago, jorge97 said:

i learnt on code academy, i actually sell python scripts on another forum for some side money. 

lots of people wanting quick working scripts 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I don't really understand a tendency to recommend Python as a first programming language. Sure, it has quite a simple syntax, but if you'll learn Python, you'll learn other languages too. 

I would start with C# since from there you can go for desktop, mobile and web applications as well as games with unity.

Try, fail, learn, repeat...

7 hours ago, zwirek2201 said:

I don't really understand a tendency to recommend Python as a first programming language. Sure, it has quite a simple syntax, but if you'll learn Python, you'll learn other languages too. 

I would start with C# since from there you can go for desktop, mobile and web applications as well as games with unity.

Probably because learning syntax is relatively easy so Python allows you learn programming concepts without worrying about syntax as much. Once you learn the concepts you can easily learn syntax from another language.

The easiest languages to learn - if you're new to that programming thing - are Lisp (Scheme or Common Lisp), C and Perl.

Do not start with Python. It will spoil you.

Write in C.

1 hour ago, Dat Guy said:

The easiest languages to learn - if you're new to that programming thing - are Lisp (Scheme or Common Lisp), C and Perl.

Do not start with Python. It will spoil you.

Whys that can I ask?

To quote myself:

Python's interpreter is the slowest of any recent programming language. Even PyPy is easily beaten by any other language of your choice when it comes to speed. The other three points are equally valid for other languages too - some of which are much less error-prone as they use brackets for syntax, not whitespace. :)

Also, if I was a company, I would refrain from using Python for long-term projects. The "progression" from Python 2 to Python 3 which is still not completed shows that Python 4 will be a nightmare for the development cost.

(...) Python's PEPs care more about style than about technical details.

Write in C.

C is close enough to English imo. 

The skills translate well to Java, and C++ as they're kinda based off C. (As in they're C, or modeled after it. Java's syntax is the thing based off C. )

Java and Python are common first languages in universities. C is taught later at most that I've seen. Java is used for android application development in the ADK. (Android development kit.) 

c# is also similar to C and C++ in basic syntaxes. It has special tools that work with it in Visual Studio on Windows. (I think the free version-express-has the same tools for making windows apps.) 

4 hours ago, fpo said:

C is close enough to English imo. 

Every non-esoteric programming language that comes to my mind right now is "close enough" to English. Except that English does not have spoken block markings and pointers to words of fixed length.

4 hours ago, fpo said:

The skills translate well to Java, and C++ as they're kinda based off C. (As in they're C, or modeled after it. Java's syntax is the thing based off C. )

Which is, in turn, "modeled after"/"based off" B which came from BCPL which came from CPL which was inspired by ALGOL which Pascal (thus, Delphi) is (somewhat) derived from.

4 hours ago, fpo said:

Java and Python are common first languages in universities.

That depends on your university, courses and professors; and, of course, on the country you're living in.

4 hours ago, fpo said:

c# is also similar to C and C++ in basic syntaxes.

In fact, C# is Microsoft's approach to a better Java. There is not much C in C#, neither technically nor syntactically.

Write in C.

JavaScript! Its very universal once you learn it you can write basically anything (other then games). It's also very simple compared to other languages.

I have programmed for over 10 years now. And i can say, the very best place to start is a low level language where you have to think much more about the small stuff. I would recommend C, because the learning curve is good, and when you understand that, you can use pretty much any other language after a few hours with them. 

7700k@4.5GHz|MSI Z270I GAMING PRO mITX|GTX 980ti|Corsair Dominator Plat 16GB DDR4|Bitfenix Prodigy|H100I

Yeah I'd suggest Python or C#. C# would be more generally applicable for software development in general but as far as I know it requires Visual Studio.

As for a resource guide, here's one I typed up for a friend a while back. It's got some typos but bad English doesn't really affect the information that's there.

ResourceGuide.pdf

On 26/07/2017 at 7:05 PM, zwirek2201 said:

because say you want to load a list of things from a file and store them in a list in python you can do 

mylist = [line.rstrip('\n') for line in open('textFile.txt')]

what to do something for each item in that list and also do it across multiple threads

from multiprocessing import Pool
def myfunction(line):
	#something with line
mylist = [line.rstrip('\n') for line in open('textFile.txt')]
threads = 10
Pool(threads)
p.map(myfunction, mylist)
p.close()

1 hour ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Multi threading in python is beautiful.

it is if you do it right, I've been asked to fix scripts and they were building threads, splitting up the work load manually and had stupid names.

for y in i:thread.start()

not that doing this is a bad thing, the threading nor the naming i just never get why people build threading like that when a simple pool and map will do it all for you in  3-4 lines.

2 minutes ago, edward30 said:

C itself is a simple language without many bells and whistles, so it is easy to learn -- it gives you little to work with, so you have to make it yourself. Stuff like container classes and memory management.

This is like saying your first Linux build should be Gentoo instead of Ubuntu or Mint.

Yes there are merits to Gentoo. But they're not for the faint of heart nor recommended to newbies unless they really want to spend their learning days pounding their head in the keyboard trying to solve a problem, then giving up on it because it was too frustrating for them.

1 minute ago, edward30 said:

C is a fantastic learners language.

If your work requires efficiency and control C is also a great choice.

Again, it comes down to use case.

The use case here is "learning how to program." Any language can be used to do this, including assembly if you really wanted to. You don't need C to "understand programming" anymore than you need BASIC.

And yes, I will admit one of my first forays into programing was BASIC. On a TI-83.

The whole thing about learning C with me is that C was developed as a system software language. When most people express interest in programming, they want to develop application software. While C can build, and has built, application software, these days it doesn't make much sense to me to throw someone C for this purpose. There are plenty of other languages that make application software development easier.

I would liken this to learning how to drive. Most people don't really care about how cars work. They just want something that gets them from Point A to B. While auto enthusiasts will live and die by manual transmission and say everyone should learn how to drive manual, I would rather have a newbie jump in an automatic so they can focus on skills that are better suited for driving on public roads and avoiding undesirable situations rather than learning how to master the vehicle. If someone wants to learn just how to program, I will hand them the programming language that let's them just drive without having to worry about shifting gears or anything else. If someone wants to learn how computers work, then sure, I'll tell them go learn C, but with a tinker board like an Arduino or an ARM Cortex devkit.

And while I do disagree with this sentiment that everyone should learn how to program, I don't think it's beneficial to throw them a language that I think is equivalent of throwing someone into the wolves den with a stick. If you're worried about code quality, language is a moot point. You can write terribly in C as you do in Java or Python. And in fact, the first software I worked on in my career was a barely held together C program where even declaring a variable could break it.

At the end of the day, a lot of people are doing this as a hobby or are exploring something new with their life. I'd rather find something that eases them into it without dumbing it down entirely (I don't think those so-called "programming games" teach programming)

chart-dmitry-ignatiev.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 hours ago, edward30 said:

The problem with your analogy is that we should be trying to create mechanics, not drivers.

But knowing how a car works doesn't teach a person how to drive well.

Software development isn't knowing how to write your own memory manager. It's knowing who wrote the best one and using theirs instead. Saves you time, lets you focus on what really matters: getting something done.

And if you have to write your own, you use their design and adapt it to your environment.