Guy on Kijiji who wants video card shipped, scam?

Chaos_Sorcerer
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
51 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

So I found a guy who is willing to buy my 290X for $350. Thing is that he wants it shipped to Thunder Bay and wants to pay via PayPal. He says he will pay before I make the shipment "so it's not sketchy or anything"...is this a scam????

PayPal should be safe, right???

Now I'm looking at my replacement card. The main reason I put it up was to see if any dumb miners were willing to pay that much for the card...but also because the 290X has been really loud lately and I would like to swap over to a 780 Ti or a 980 or something.

Advice?

If you were to ship it to him, do it under these conditions:

1. Tracked shipment

2. Insured to the full value of the card

3. Signature upon delivery required

But even then, I'd personally try to sell it locally first. Or sell it via the forums here.

So I found a guy who is willing to buy my 290X for $350. Thing is that he wants it shipped to Thunder Bay and wants to pay via PayPal. He says he will pay before I make the shipment "so it's not sketchy or anything"...is this a scam????

Now I'm looking at my replacement card. The main reason I put it up was to see if any dumb miners were willing to pay that much for the card...but also because the 290X has been really loud lately and I would like to swap over to a 780 Ti or a 980 or something.

Advice?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

4 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

you could get scammed on PayPal, try to sell it locally first. 

Don't do it. Massive scam. You'll lose your card and your money.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Don't do it unless you can make him do friends and family

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Doesn't matter. Unless he's a habitual offender, all he has to do is wait until a few days after the card shows up, call PayPal, tell them that he didn't authorize the charge and they'll open a dispute and give him his money back--and take it from the OP to do so.

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you could get scammed on PayPal, try to sell it locally first. 

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Don't do it. Massive scam. You'll lose your card and your money.

3 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

He said he's willing to do e-Transfer...idk what that is...is that a better option?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

1 minute ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

He said he's willing to do e-Transfer...idk what that is...is that a better option?

Idk but don't do it. 

4 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Do not ship on kijiji, period. You are being scammed. If he wants to drive to you and pick it up, cool. If you put it in a box and stick it in the mail, you've lost your card and your money.

3 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Nope it is worse it takes 5-7 days to show up and he can cancel it easily. It is a well known scam, and even if it was not a scam it could be damaged during shipment and cost you much more.

just tell him 
"sorry, im not comfortable with online money transactions"

you can either try to sell it through a friend in TBay or vice-versa with someone he knows or else just pass on this customer and keep looking local

Photography / Finance / Gaming

I would suggest that you do the usual. Take his Paypal payment as a purchase, not "friends or family", ship the item with tracking via UPS or USPS WITH INSURANCE AND A PHOTO OF THE ITEM IN THE BOX WITH THE RECEIPT IN-HAND. Put the tracking on your Paypal transaction and keep the receipt and insurance form with you. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Tonny said:

Nope it is worse it takes 5-7 days to show up and he can cancel it easily. It is a well known scam, and even if it was not a scam it could be damaged during shipment and cost you much more.

@Chaos_Sorcerer once  an etransfer is accepted, it can't be cancelled..you would have to send it back as another etransfer

if using paypal...make an invoice and as long as you can prove it shipped and was received, then you should be good

just make sure any payment has cleared properly before shipping (with an etransfer, you have to deposit using your bank, then it is all yours) with paypal, make sure that the payment is complete, not pending before shipping

1 minute ago, BubblyCharizard said:

@Chaos_Sorcerer once  an etransfer is accepted, it can't be cancelled..you would have to send it back as another etransfer

if using paypal...make an invoice and as long as you can prove it shipped and was received, then you should be good

just make sure any payment has cleared properly before shipping (with an etransfer, you have to deposit using your bank, then it is all yours) with paypal, make sure that the payment is complete, not pending before shipping

Oh I had assumed he was talking of E-cheque through PayPal my bad. Still even with tracking and confirmation of delivery it is time consuming and probably not worth the hassle for the few extra bucks he will get not to mention there is still a chance for the product to be damaged during shipping .

dont risk it, just sell locally

51 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Advice?

If you were to ship it to him, do it under these conditions:

1. Tracked shipment

2. Insured to the full value of the card

3. Signature upon delivery required

But even then, I'd personally try to sell it locally first. Or sell it via the forums here.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

52 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

So I found a guy who is willing to buy my 290X for $350. Thing is that he wants it shipped to Thunder Bay and wants to pay via PayPal.

I am as a casual eBay seller have to say that it is very easy to scam people using PayPal. I always instantly cash out my money when I receive it.  I have heard from other PayPal user that the money can be blocked for withdrawal for a month or so. 

27 minutes ago, Tonny said:

Oh I had assumed he was talking of E-cheque through PayPal my bad. Still even with tracking and confirmation of delivery it is time consuming and probably not worth the hassle for the few extra bucks he will get not to mention there is still a chance for the product to be damaged during shipping .

e-Transfer is a Canadian (don't know if they offer the service elsewhere) service that uses the Interac Network. All major Canadian banks support it, and it usually takes 20 minutes (But can take up to 2 or 3 business days) to arrive.

You send a link via email, and with a secret question and answer. The recipient receives an email with a link to follow, must answer the question, and then chooses their bank to deposit to.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, Tonny said:

I'm not sure that you know what an Interac eTransfer is.  But eTransfers are instant between any Canadian bank once accepted by the recipient.  The money is directly moved from one bank account to another.  There are chargeback options but these would involve going to your bank and reporting identity fraud and having a case and investigation by the bank opened.  If I was going to scam someone, I'd NOT use an Interac eTransfer, far too much would be tied to your real bank account and if the buyer you scammed had sufficient documentation of a transaction, any investigation would not go in your favor.

It's quite possible that the buyer is legit, honestly, using an eTransfer grounds it in some safety.  In fact, if I was BUYING something, I'd feel uncomfortable using an eTransfer due to it's weaker consumer protections in comparison to PayPal.  That all said, for a Kijiji sale I'd personally prefer a local buyer because it'd just make my life easier.

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm not sure that you know what an Interac eTransfer is.  But eTransfers are instant between any Canadian bank once accepted by the recipient.  The money is directly moved from one bank account to another.  There are chargeback options but these would involve going to your bank and reporting identity fraud and having a case and investigation by the bank opened.  If I was going to scam someone, I'd NOT use an Interac eTransfer, far too much would be tied to your real bank account and if the buyer you scammed had sufficient documentation of a transaction, any investigation would not go in your favor.

It's quite possible that the buyer is legit, honestly, using an eTransfer grounds it in some safety.  In fact, if I was BUYING something, I'd feel uncomfortable using an eTransfer due to it's weaker consumer protections in comparison to PayPal.  That all said, for a Kijiji sale I'd personally prefer a local buyer because it'd just make my life easier.

Agreed - if anything, e-Transfers are easy to scam the buyer. No (easy) way to get your money back if the "seller" disappears, or the shipment gets "lost", or they simply send you a potato or something.

Yeah you can open a dispute but damn that'd be a pain in the ass, even for legit things.

As a seller, I've sold a GPU using e-Transfer before (though the transaction was arranged through LTT classifieds, not kijiji). Though these days I'll pretty much just stick to PayPal via LTT sales, and cash only for Kijiji.

When I was selling my PS4 Pro on kijiji, I got at least 5 offers to pay the asking price (I was asking pretty high) but he was buying for his "cousin" from another province so he asked if he could pay upfront by paypal. I asked why don't you drive here, give me the money and you mail the console to your "cousin" yourself. He said he is out of town right now.

I stopped the conversation right there. Loads of bullshit.

Don't get scammed. He can just create a dispute with Paypal and you lose everything.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

16 hours ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Advice?

Do it through e-transfer and don't ship it until the money is in your account. if that goes through, you're fine. 

I did this when I sold my 980 to someone in Montreal (I live near Toronto). He e-transferred the money plus some for shipping cost, I shipped it out to him and all was good. :) 

If you think about it, the buyer is actually taking a greater risk, especially with e-transfer. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Thanks, everyone! I have decided against it...I don't think I'll really be comfortable with this kind of thing. I'll try and see if I can find a dumb miner in my area. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler