Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My new GTX 1080 is underperforming.

So I have bought a new graphics card (GTX 1080 EVGA FTW) with a new PSU (be quiet! 600W) to supply enough power for it recently. When I installed both pieces of hardware in my PC started up fine but I noticed, over the course of a few weeks, that the only thing that changed was the default graphic settings of my games. 
My fps hasnt increased at all and I still get low fps in games such as Borderlands 2, Skyrim (with ENB) and Battlefield 1. I have an Intel i5 6400 (i think thats the full name) so i shouldnt be bottlenecked extremely.
On battlefield 1 I can hit 60fps for a bit and then it goes down to 30 fps or even lower in some situations. On borderlands 2, my fps does the same thing when looking at populated areas, with skyrim it is completely random. Note: I only play at 1080p so it doesn't even have to work hard yet it still performs bad.

I have been looking at things to fix it and they still haven't worked.
These things include:

Changing settings in NVIDIA Control panel to prefer performance

I have formatted a hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 and graphics drivers. Installed games back on there to test it, nothing has changed.

I understand that my CPU might bottleneck the GPU a bit but it really shouldn't be bottlenecking it that much, especially at 1080p.

Please help, I am really annoyed since I got a GTX 1080 to finally be removed from the <60fps squad but im still in it and it is extremely frustrating. 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UselessApe0405 said:

So I have bought a new graphics card (GTX 1080 EVGA FTW) with a new PSU (be quiet! 600W) to supply enough power for it recently. When I installed both pieces of hardware in my PC started up fine but I noticed, over the course of a few weeks, that the only thing that changed was the default graphic settings of my games. 
My fps hasnt increased at all and I still get low fps in games such as Borderlands 2, Skyrim (with ENB) and Battlefield 1. I have an Intel i5 6400 (i think thats the full name) so i shouldnt be bottlenecked extremely.
On battlefield 1 I can hit 60fps for a bit and then it goes down to 30 fps or even lower in some situations. On borderlands 2, my fps does the same thing when looking at populated areas, with skyrim it is completely random. Note: I only play at 1080p so it doesn't even have to work hard yet it still performs bad.

I have been looking at things to fix it and they still haven't worked.
These things include:

Changing settings in NVIDIA Control panel to prefer performance

I have formatted a hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 and graphics drivers. Installed games back on there to test it, nothing has changed.

I understand that my CPU might bottleneck the GPU a bit but it really shouldn't be bottlenecking it that much, especially at 1080p.

Please help, I am really annoyed since I got a GTX 1080 to finally be removed from the <60fps squad but im still in it and it is extremely frustrating. 

Thanks.

make sure that the resolution wasnt changed to 4k 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UselessApe0405 said:

So I have bought a new graphics card (GTX 1080 EVGA FTW) with a new PSU (be quiet! 600W) to supply enough power for it recently. When I installed both pieces of hardware in my PC started up fine but I noticed, over the course of a few weeks, that the only thing that changed was the default graphic settings of my games. 
My fps hasnt increased at all and I still get low fps in games such as Borderlands 2, Skyrim (with ENB) and Battlefield 1. I have an Intel i5 6400 (i think thats the full name) so i shouldnt be bottlenecked extremely.
On battlefield 1 I can hit 60fps for a bit and then it goes down to 30 fps or even lower in some situations. On borderlands 2, my fps does the same thing when looking at populated areas, with skyrim it is completely random. Note: I only play at 1080p so it doesn't even have to work hard yet it still performs bad.

I have been looking at things to fix it and they still haven't worked.
These things include:

Changing settings in NVIDIA Control panel to prefer performance

I have formatted a hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 and graphics drivers. Installed games back on there to test it, nothing has changed.

I understand that my CPU might bottleneck the GPU a bit but it really shouldn't be bottlenecking it that much, especially at 1080p.

Please help, I am really annoyed since I got a GTX 1080 to finally be removed from the <60fps squad but im still in it and it is extremely frustrating. 

Thanks.

Reinstall graphics driver. Use DDU to remove the current one.
Also at 1080p the i5 will be bottlenecking it quite a bit. That still doesn't explain your performance though..
Also on borderlands 2 turn phsyx to low. It's a major fps killer, even with a 1080.
Skyrim enb's are very demanding, especially if you're using realvision ultra.

Edit, is your hdmi or displayport cable definitely plugged into your gpu and not your motherboard?

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UselessApe0405 said:

So I have bought a new graphics card (GTX 1080 EVGA FTW) with a new PSU (be quiet! 600W) to supply enough power for it recently. When I installed both pieces of hardware in my PC started up fine but I noticed, over the course of a few weeks, that the only thing that changed was the default graphic settings of my games. 
My fps hasnt increased at all and I still get low fps in games such as Borderlands 2, Skyrim (with ENB) and Battlefield 1. I have an Intel i5 6400 (i think thats the full name) so i shouldnt be bottlenecked extremely.
On battlefield 1 I can hit 60fps for a bit and then it goes down to 30 fps or even lower in some situations. On borderlands 2, my fps does the same thing when looking at populated areas, with skyrim it is completely random. Note: I only play at 1080p so it doesn't even have to work hard yet it still performs bad.

I have been looking at things to fix it and they still haven't worked.
These things include:

Changing settings in NVIDIA Control panel to prefer performance

I have formatted a hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 and graphics drivers. Installed games back on there to test it, nothing has changed.

I understand that my CPU might bottleneck the GPU a bit but it really shouldn't be bottlenecking it that much, especially at 1080p.

Please help, I am really annoyed since I got a GTX 1080 to finally be removed from the <60fps squad but im still in it and it is extremely frustrating. 

Thanks.

Also your i5 will not bottleneck your GPU at all so that is not the issue. Usually once you plug in a discrete gpu the onboard one should be disabled in bios automatically but maybe that is not the case here so it is worth taking a look at that and maybe updating your bios to the latest one can resolve it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your full specs including OS?

Have you tried to check your usages with MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner?

Where is the monitor attached? GPU or motherboard?

Have you tried DDU or an older driver from Nvidia?

Have you checked your resolution and settings? 

 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tonny said:

Also your i5 will not bottleneck your GPU at all so that is not the issue. 

This is wrong. I had to upgrade to a i7 due to bottlenecking and that was at 1440p. So 1080p for him will see a larger cpu bottleneck.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

This is wrong. I had to upgrade to a i7 due to bottlenecking and that was at 1440p. So 1080p for him will see a larger cpu bottleneck.

Ahm 1440p(2k) is a higher resolution than 1080 doe, even then I have not seen anyone or anywhere on benchmarks say or show their i5 6400 bottlenecking their 1080 so maybe it was just an isolated case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tonny said:

Ahm 1440p(2k) is a higher resolution than 1080 doe, even then I have not seen anyone or anywhere on benchmarks say or show their i5 6400 bottlenecking their 1080 so maybe it was just an isolated case.

i can assure you an i5 will bottleneck a 1080.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tonny said:

Ahm 1440p(2k) is a higher resolution than 1080 doe, even then I have not seen anyone or anywhere on benchmarks say or show their i5 6400 bottlenecking their 1080 so maybe it was just an isolated case.

An i5 6400, especially because of it's low clock speed/boost, will 100% guaranteed bottleneck a 1080. I just don't know what planet you're on to think otherwise. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, UselessApe0405 said:

On battlefield 1 I can hit 60fps for a bit and then it goes down to 30 fps or even lower in some situations. On borderlands 2, my fps does the same thing when looking at populated areas, with skyrim it is completely random. Note: I only play at 1080p so it doesn't even have to work hard yet it still performs bad.

It sounds like Vsync is on.

 

Also slight rant:

Oh boy, the "B" word! I think it's important to understand what OP wants and what OP is doing before dropping the "B" word because if anything, the "B" word should be something you drop after checking out everything else. Unless it's clearly obvious something's wrong.

 

For example, TechSpot managed to achieve the same minimum frame rates in Battlefield 1 using a Core i5-6600K and a i7-6700K. And those minimums are way higher than what OP is reporting. A few other places report minimum frame rates way higher than what OP is reporting. Therefore, I think this isn't a bottleneck issue because there's clearly some evidence that the i5-6600K can get those performance numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Also slight rant:

Oh boy, the "B" word! I think it's important to understand what OP wants and what OP is doing before dropping the "B" word because if anything, the "B" word should be something you drop after checking out everything else. Unless it's clearly obvious something's wrong.

This is a tech forum, sir/madam/chair. We want the easy way out of issues. 

 

On topic: Is OP even reading this?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

An i5 6400, especially because of it's low clock speed/boost, will 100% guaranteed bottleneck a 1080. I just don't know what planet you're on to think otherwise. 

Yep nvm all of what I said Its late here I was just thinking of a 6600. Then again his numbers are way too low for it to be a bottleneck issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tonny said:

Ahm 1440p(2k) is a higher resolution than 1080 doe, even then I have not seen anyone or anywhere on benchmarks say or show their i5 6400 bottlenecking their 1080 so maybe it was just an isolated case.

lower resolutions cause more cpu bottlenecks as the gpu is wanting the cpu to work faster. Higher resolutions cause more strain on the gpu which reduces a cpu bottleneck. This is why you see channels like digital foundry testing new cpu's at mostly 1080p. As that really shows the improvement of a cpu in terms of gaming. 
 

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

lower resolutions cause more cpu bottlenecks as the gpu is wanting the cpu to work faster. Higher resolutions cause more strain on the gpu which reduces a cpu bottleneck. This is why you see channels like digital foundry testing new cpu's at mostly 1080p. As that really shows the improvement of a cpu in terms of gaming. 
 

Basically most of what the CPU does is the game logic, it doesn't really play a part in rendering the scene.The CPU load is fixed. However, the GPU load is variable. There is a point of convergance where the CPU and GPU matter equally, but that res would be so low that it wouldn't even matter.

So, if we drew a graph of CPU and GPU load vs. resolution, the CPU would be a flat line, while the GPU would be a diagonal line heading upwards (or in all likelihood it would be bent because of memory limitations on the GPU being able to handle higher resolutions).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure that CPU might bottleneck the GTX 1080 but not at the fps he is getting. It's irrelevant in this conversation. If he wanted 90 fps but was getting 78 fps or something would be the bottleneck... certainly not 60 or below... that's absurd.

 

Something is wrong. In what world does the GTX 1080 not get uber fps in BF1? I played BF1 on my GTX 970 perfectly fine. I would say his iGPU is being used but would that really hit 60 fps in Borderlands 2 at all? That thing would be a slideshow in BF1.

 

Maybe a Ram stick went bad... who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tonny said:

Basically most of what the CPU does is the game logic, it doesn't really play a part in rendering the scene.The CPU load is fixed. However, the GPU load is variable. There is a point of convergance where the CPU and GPU matter equally, but that res would be so low that it wouldn't even matter.

So, if we drew a graph of CPU and GPU load vs. resolution, the CPU would be a flat line, while the GPU would be a diagonal line heading upwards (or in all likelihood it would be bent because of memory limitations on the GPU being able to handle higher resolutions).

Still the fact is, 1080p will see more of a cpu bottleneck on his system than 1440p and 4k. You seemed to think that a higher resolution would mean a worse cpu bottleneck, when it's actually more of a gpu bottleneck.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×