DirectX 9 capped at 60?

H0R53

I use Passmark Performance test. I usually get around 7200 for my GPU score.

However, recently my DirectX 9 scores have been very low. vSync has been locked on, no matter what version of PTest I use.

My most recent score was 4000-ish because of this.

I've tried different screens, reinstalling my GPU drivers, etc.

What's going on? This is infuriating. I should be getting 140FPS in the DX9 test but I'm only getting 40-60.

17 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Check your driver's 3D settings.  See if there's a profile for Passmark and force V-Sync off.  Or create one manually.

I tried that, too, before posting. I tried forcing VSync and Triple Buffering off in nVidia Control Panel, as well as creating a profile for the PTest application.

I've reinstalled DirectX, reinstalled PTest, and reinstalled my graphics driver, so that rules out those three.

I am anal-retentive about background processes, so I know for a fact that it's not a background process that's interfering.

It must be a file or registry entry somewhere.

I found a strangely capitalized D3DX9_43.dll in System32, where the rest are styled as d3dx9_xx.dll in lowercase. Could be corrupt.

23 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

I tried that, too, before posting. I tried forcing VSync and Triple Buffering off in nVidia Control Panel, as well as creating a profile for the PTest application.

I've reinstalled DirectX, reinstalled PTest, and reinstalled my graphics driver, so that rules out those three.

I am anal-retentive about background processes, so I know for a fact that it's not a background process that's interfering.

It must be a file or registry entry somewhere.

I found a strangely capitalized D3DX9_43.dll in System32, where the rest are styled as d3dx9_xx.dll in lowercase. Could be corrupt.

I did some snooping in the PM folder.  Try disabling the desktop composition and dpi scaling on the .exe's compatibility settings.  There's also custom D3D dll profiles in the passmark dll folder itself for dx9.  I'm not sure if PM calls those or looks in the system folder.  You could try overwriting the system's dll temporarily and see if that works.  (keep a backup of the system dll)

Otherwise this may be something you want to pass on to Passmark's forum.  Probably a Windows 10 related bug.

2 hours ago, Biggerboot said:

I did some snooping in the PM folder.  Try disabling the desktop composition and dpi scaling on the .exe's compatibility settings.  There's also custom D3D dll profiles in the passmark dll folder itself for dx9.  I'm not sure if PM calls those or looks in the system folder.  You could try overwriting the system's dll temporarily and see if that works.  (keep a backup of the system dll)

Otherwise this may be something you want to pass on to Passmark's forum.  Probably a Windows 10 related bug.

I'm on Windows 7. Always have and always will be :)