NVME MBR or GPT ? im confused

So I installed an NVME drive 960 evo in my PC and now windows wants me to initialize it . MBR or GPT ? I will eventually make it the boot drive and my MB ( X99S SLI PLUS says *Intel RST does not support PCIe M.2 SSD with Legacy ROM.* on the website Im not sure what im supposed to do.

1.Open the Command Prompt. This can be done by triggering the Run -- Windows Key + R -- feature, and opening "cmd".
2.Type "diskpart" to open the disk partitioning software. Accept the UAC security prompt, if asked.
3.Type "list disk". The program will then show you a list of all the physical drives (HDD, SSD, USB, etc.) that are attached.
4.Identify the disk number of the SSD (it can be recognized by looking at the size column; it's usually the last listed disk) and type "select disk X", where "X" is the disk number of your SSD.
5.Type "clean". This will erase the contents of the SSD, so make sure you have the contents backed-up (if any) beforehand.
6.Type "create partition primary". This command will create a primary partition on the SSD.
7.Type "select partition 1". This command will select the created partition.
8.Type "active". This command will make the selected partition active.
9.Type "format fs=ntfs quick". This command will format the created partition as NTFS.
10.Type "assign". This command will assign a letter to the SSD, which will make it show under Windows Explorer.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

the biggest difference between them is the max partitions you can make on it. 

and what you want to do with the drive.

I found out that you can't clone GPT with a lot of cloning software. from corsair to intel SSD clone software, 

to aomei that only free clones MBR, 

corsair tells you after the first 2 partitions that an thirth is inpossible on an ssd. then reverse everything.

the aomei software just says they won't changes the format files for free. 

and manualy change to MBR can damage the files in the drive.

OS on ssd?

first did it sound logical to take the same settings as the ones of the OS (GPT) DON'T it doesnt work, MBR works better with ssd's

choose MBR

make a back-up form your hhd

make a windows reset on a usb

then set a clean install on the ssd

and use the back-up to recover youre files

13 hours ago, goodtome said:

If your system is 32 bit, you have to use MBR for GPT does not support 32-bit OS.

That's not true. The not booting from 32-bit restriction applies only to Windows 7 or earlier.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:16 AM, Perry404 said:

the biggest difference between them is the max partitions you can make on it.

MBR is also limited to 2TB maximum partition sizes.

thanks a lot guys ! I had some issues here and there but I went for GPT + had to update the BIOS on my MB because  windows saw the drive fine but the bios didnt even show it in board explorer , I was even able to install windows on it ( when inside the bootable win 10 usb it saw it but couldnt boot from it ). anyways after the bios update all is good and smooth.

You can't boot from NVMe in Legacy mode, so GPT is the only way to go (because MBR isn't supported in EFI booting). With AHCI drive, you can go either way (gpt/mbr).

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

13 hours ago, agent_x007 said:

You can't boot from NVMe in Legacy mode, so GPT is the only way to go (because MBR isn't supported in EFI booting). With AHCI drive, you can go either way (gpt/mbr).

thats exactly what i didnt know !