What the fuck is wrong with RAM prices

I've got an HP DV7 laptop I'm restoring to replace my MPC Transport T2400. It supports up to 8GB of RAM, so I went on Amazon to see what I could find.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=4gb+ddr2+laptop

What the actual fuck?

Why is 2 4GB sticks over a hundred dollars when 2 2GB sticks is only $25? This makes me angry that companies do this.

It doesn't help that it's DDR2, like for fuck's sake, I can get a single 8GB stick of Avexir DDR3 LED memory for less than that, what the actual shit

4 GB DDR2 modules were always expensive as they were never all that common. At the time 8 GBs was starting to become more popular in laptops, DDR3 was already common. 2 GB DIMMs are obviously cheaper - a lot of people are looking at 4 GB Modules for upgrades, and barely anyone wants to buy 2 GB modules. Little supply, massive demand. The demand is not big enough to make more though.

Also, there is no further upgrade path to speak of - so most of the supply for 4GB DIMMs was made years ago, while the market is filled with tons and tons of cheap used 2 GB DIMMs. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

I recently had this issue as well. In my most recent topic I made I wanted to upgrade my DDR2 SODIMM laptop as well and I too wanted 8GB of RAM. I found that RAM prices were anywhere from £60 to £100.

Prices are cheaper on CeX's website https://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?sortOn=sellprice_asc&stext=*&section=&catid=938&is=1 but currently 4GB sticks are out of stock.

If you were able to go with 4GB RAM now, you could be alright for a while until you maybe buy a single 4GB stick later down the line to increase it to 6GB RAM. Wouldn't pay as much and 6GB would still suffice perfectly fine for most modern tasks.

Alternatively, you could also buy an SSD therefore making the laptop faster on what little memory it currently has. Therefore increasing productivity and you wont notice the RAM limit as much as with an HDD. I know it doesn't work like that technically but it's worth a shot.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

The real question is if DDR2 is even still in production? If it's no longer being made, prices are just set to rise as scarcity takes control of prices. Also 4GB DDR2 back when it was in the mainstream were expensive as there were few applications that even needed 4GB (it was still a time when 32-bit PCs were widespread).

2 minutes ago, DigitalHermit said:

The real question is if DDR2 is even still in production? If it's no longer being made, prices are just set to rise as scarcity takes control of prices. Also 4GB DDR2 back when it was in the mainstream were expensive as there were few applications that even needed 4GB (it was still a time when 32-bit PCs were widespread).

it's not made any more but the number of DDR2 PCs which are still floating around in use is still high

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Obsolete that's why. Supply and demand, supply will be very very little at this point.

it is and it isn't, it is no longer supported by newer CPUs and both DDR3 and 4 are much better, but DDR2 still is in use and when you need a pc for text editing a core 2 duo and about 4-8GB of DDR2 RAM is plenty fast enough for the job

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

it's not made any more but the number of DDR2 PCs which are still floating around in use is still high

There's your answer.

As consumers go through the remaining stock of DDR2, expect prices to continue rising.

8 minutes ago, Ground said:

4 GB DDR2 modules were always expensive as they were never all that common. At the time 8 GBs was starting to become more popular in laptops, DDR3 was already common. 2 GB DIMMs are obviously cheaper - a lot of people are looking at 4 GB Modules for upgrades, and barely anyone wants to buy 2 GB modules. Little supply, massive demand. The demand is not big enough to make more though.

Also, there is no further upgrade path to speak of - so most of the supply for 4GB DIMMs was made years ago, while the market is filled with tons and tons of cheap used 2 GB DIMMs. 

My MPC laptop is actually statistically faster than the HP but only supports 3GB of RAM...

8 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

I recently had this issue as well. In my most recent topic I made I wanted to upgrade my DDR2 SODIMM laptop as well and I too wanted 8GB of RAM. I found that RAM prices were anywhere from £60 to £100.

Prices are cheaper on CeX's website https://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?sortOn=sellprice_asc&stext=*&section=&catid=938&is=1 but currently 4GB sticks are out of stock.

If you were able to go with 4GB RAM now, you could be alright for a while until you maybe buy a single 4GB stick later down the line to increase it to 6GB RAM. Wouldn't pay as much and 6GB would still suffice perfectly fine for most modern tasks.

Yeah, but over a hundred dollars for 8GB is absolutely absurd. I don't exactly need it but it helps speed up the laptop.

7 minutes ago, DigitalHermit said:

I don't think it is. My MPC and the HP I am restoring are both 64-bit.

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Obsolete that's why. Supply and demand, supply will be very very little at this point.

Because those older machines are still good, anyone who has problems with a C2D laptop is a fucking knob

4 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

Because they are better built than any laptop today. My MPC is chronologically 11 years old (March 11th, 2006), I took it apart for the first time in its existence and I didn't have to clean it. The shell is a magnesium alloy, not the cheap plastic and shitty aluminum that manufacturers like Apple use.

2 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

it is and it isn't, it is no longer supported by newer CPUs and both DDR3 and 4 are much better, but DDR2 still is in use and when you need a pc for text editing a core 2 duo and about 4-8GB of DDR2 RAM is plenty fast enough for the job

I'm putting a 1TB drive and a 32GB SSD into this HP. It's a DV7 1127 CL Gold Edition.

1 minute ago, DigitalHermit said:

There's your answer.

As consumers go through the remaining stock of DDR2, expect prices to continue rising.

Then I better grab it now before it's $200 for 8GB of DDR2.

1 minute ago, DigitalHermit said:

There's your answer.

yea oh, I forgot to add DDR2 ECC will probably stay cheap as there is no market for that as no one needs it, as very few people use those servers still.

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

yea oh, I forgot to add DDR2 ECC will probably stay cheap as there is no market for that as no one needs it, as very few people use those servers still.

My 15 TB NAS is an old Dell Precision 690 with 16GB DDR2 and two X5355s. A 15TB RAID0 array consisting of 5 3TB Western Digital drives, along with a 4-port 10GBPS PCI card...kicks ass.

1 minute ago, H0R53 said:

Before that, you should probably make sure that your system can run a 64-bit OS to be able to actually make use of the extra RAM beyond 4GB.

Just now, H0R53 said:

Yeah, but over a hundred dollars for 8GB is absolutely absurd. I don't exactly need it but it helps speed up the laptop.

It would cost a maximum of only £44 if you waited on the next 4GB DDR2 SODIMM that come into CeX... Might wanna look next time bud...

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I'm in the US.

CeX are also in the US

Edit: Fair enough, US certainly has less available... That'll by why it's more expensive there then... https://us.webuy.com/search/index.php?sortOn=sellprice_asc&stext=*&section=&catid=952&is=1

My Rig:

My MPC laptop is actually statistically faster than the HP but only supports 3GB of RAM...

I don't think it is. My MPC and the HP I am restoring are both 64-bit.

Because those older machines are still good, anyone who has problems with a C2D laptop is a fucking knob

Because they are better built than any laptop today. My MPC is chronologically 11 years old (March 11th, 2006), I took it apart for the first time in its existence and I didn't have to clean it. The shell is a magnesium alloy, not the cheap plastic and shitty aluminum that manufacturers like Apple use.

I'm putting a 1TB drive and a 32GB SSD into this HP. It's a DV7 1127 CL Gold Edition.

the price is and it isn't, it's supply and demand as everyone want's it but there isn't enough for everyone so people can charge that much. 

I agree older PCs are good, I have 16 of them, they are good

Are they better built? This it depends, if your willing to spend the money I would argue the opposite but on the cheap end yes it's worse.

Nice a good DDR2 NAS won't do you wrong, I have a 1TB RAID 1 one which serves 3 people constantly with one DDR2 anit dead yet, it only has 6GB of RAM though (2X1GB and 2X2GB)

And the demand might disappear, look at this way, no one gives a shit about normal DDR RAM now as people have moved on to newer systems

And more, several more

3 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

It can. It's an HP DV7 1127 CL. HP says on their site that it supports 8GB.

does it have a 64 bit OS and a 64 bit CPU in it (as it sometimes they says shit like that when it's not fully true)

And more, several more

Nice a good DDR2 NAS won't do you wrong, I have a 1TB RAID 1 one which serves 3 people constantly with one DDR2 anit dead yet, it only has 6GB of RAM though (2X1GB and 2X2GB)

It's ECC as well, which is good I guess. It was $40 for 16GB...which is what it should be.

2 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

It's ECC as well, which is good I guess. It was $40 for 16GB...which is what it should be.

does your CPU and motherboard support ECC, as if the answer is no it won't work. That is why is cheaper. It will need to be an xeon workstation/server board with an xeon for it to work

And more, several more

9 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

does it have a 64 bit OS and a 64 bit CPU in it (as it sometimes they says shit like that when it's not fully true)

It's got no OS right now, but I'm gonna put W7 Pro 64-bit on it.

The CPU is an AMD Turion X2 RM-72, it's 64-bit.

I'm not a noob. I have 3 other HPs like this that I'm working on:

HP 2000 (shitty W8 with 2GB DDR3) (no battery, HDD cable, HDD, or charger)

HP DV9500 (No charger or HDD connectors, no HDD, 2GB RAM)

HP DV7 3079WM (no HDD/RAM cover or charger, no HDD, 2GB RAM)

This one just happens to be the nicest and the only one with a blu-ray drive.

does your CPU and motherboard support ECC, as if the answer is no it won't work. That is why is cheaper. It will need to be an xeon workstation/server board with an xeon for it to work

Why are you even asking? This wasn't a part of the original discussion.

It's a Dell Precision 690 with two Xeons, I said this already. Lol.

Just now, H0R53 said:

Why are you even asking? This wasn't a part of the original discussion.

It's a Dell Precision 690 with two Xeons, I said this already. Lol.

cause it sounded like you had bought ECC RAM for an no ECC system which wouldn't work.

2 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

It's got no OS right now, but I'm gonna put W7 Pro 64-bit on it.

The CPU is an AMD Turion X2 RM-72, it's 64-bit.

I'm not a noob. I have 3 other HPs like this that I'm working on:

HP 2000 (shitty W8 with 2GB DDR3) (no battery, HDD cable, HDD, or charger)

HP DV9500 (No charger or HDD connectors, no HDD, 2GB RAM)

HP DV7 3079WM (no HDD/RAM cover or charger, no HDD, 2GB RAM)

This one just happens to be the nicest and the only one with a blu-ray drive.

ok right I was just checking, you didn't need have a hissy fit at me. with some of the questions I have answered here I find it easier too literally cover every angle

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

cause it sounded like you had bought ECC RAM for an no ECC system which wouldn't work.

My NAS? Lol for NAS I wouldn't go with anything BUT ECC RAM.

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

ok right I was just checking, you didn't need have a hissy fit at me. with some of the questions I have answered here I find it easier too literally cover every angle

Not having a hissy fit, just wondering why you're asking questions that have already been answered.

Just now, H0R53 said:

My NAS? Lol for NAS I wouldn't go with anything BUT ECC RAM.

Not having a hissy fit, just wondering why you're asking questions that have already been answered.

ECC is not needed for most cases for a home NAS, as the chance that the data corrupts to a level which is even noticeable on your NAS is extremely small. As for that no you didn't all you said was the system supported 8GB of RAM, but you didn't say the variant which you own did, as it might of been only with a certain CPU that you could get a full 8GB of RAM and they excluded that out from the obvious documentation in order to up sell the product

And more, several more