Where can I learn more about photography?

I want to improve my photography and videography skills. I'm not sure where the best place to learn from is. I know there is lynda.com (is there an offer code: linus?) ,but are there any free alternatives? Also, Idk if I need to upgrade my gear from a budget smartphone to enhance my photography skills

10 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Also, Idk if I need to upgrade my gear from a budget smartphone to enhance my photography skills

It can help get what you want, but I don't think it's really all that necessary to develop skills. What's important is the person can tell what you're photographing and how you set that up. Or something.

5 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

I want to improve my photography and videography skills. I'm not sure where the best place to learn from is. I know there is lynda.com (is there an offer code: linus?) ,but are there any free alternatives? Also, Idk if I need to upgrade my gear from a budget smartphone to enhance my photography skills

Don't waste your money on those courses.  There are tons of resources online if you know how to look.  And there are quite a few great books you can buy.

How interested are you in photography?  While using a phone camera for photography is doable, you are limited in terms of how much control you have over what you can achieve.  Yes, there are professionals who have produced fantastic photos using only a phone.  But they have years of experience as a photographer and have used various types of cameras before.

If you are truly interested in photography, get something like an entry level DSLR.  Brand new with a basic kit lens costs around $500, second hand (and likely a slightly older model) can be found for prices that vary from $250 - $400.

So ask yourself first, are you truly interested in photography?  You don't have to have the goal of becoming a professional, you can remain an amateur photographer and still be very passionate about the craft.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

13 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Additionally, here are some nice topics someone created to help beginners.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

37 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

-snip-

As much as I am interested in photography, I don't see myself becoming a professional. Also, you mentioned some books, I'd appreciate if you could send me the titles.

Edit: Skimmed through that photography guide , I think it will prove very helpful. Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

As much as I am interested in photography, I don't see myself becoming a professional. Also, you mentioned some books, I'd appreciate if you could send me the titles.

Edit: Skimmed through that photography guide , I think it will prove very helpful. Thanks!

You can be serious about photography and video without becoming a pro.

I'll put a list of books tomorrow, tonight I'm too tired to turn on my computer again.

12 hours ago, Hulkbert said:

Here are some book recommendations:

1. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, you don't need to buy this book brand new.  If you can find it second hand it would be best because this book is something you would read during the first couple of months as a beginner and then you leave it in the book shelf for the rest of your life.
  2. The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman
  3. Within the Frame by David DuChemin
  4. Photographically Speaking by David DuChemin
  5. Sketching Light, Hot Shoe Diaries by Joe Mcnally (I'm mentioning two books here, titles separated by a comma)

Since you also mentioned video, you may want to check these books out:

1. Location Sound Bible by Ric Viers
  2. DSLR Filmmaker's handbook by Barry Andersson and Janie L. Geyen
  3. Film Production Techniques by Bruce Mamer
  4. Filmmaker's Handbook by Steven Ascher and Edward Pincus
  5. Cinematography: Theory and Practice by Blain Brown

These are just a few recommendations, there are so many other resources out there if you are willing to learn.

It's simple.

Learning by doing. You don't really need to read books.

There are plenty of channels on YouTube that can help you become a better photographer or get more firmilar with the gear that you have. I would recommend FroKnowsPhoto.com for basic stuff and gear reviews/overviews. 

23 hours ago, zdog16 said:

There are plenty of channels on YouTube that can help you become a better photographer or get more firmilar with the gear that you have. I would recommend FroKnowsPhoto.com for basic stuff and gear reviews/overviews. 

FroKnowsPhoto?  That douche?  I wouldn't recommend him to anyone.