Ryzen 5 Frequency Woes

AmateurPCGuy
Go to solution Solved by AmateurPCGuy,
8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Because any core can boost to 3.7GHz-3.8GHz, it is not locked to one specific core. The requirement is just that only one core has to do the work, which one it is doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

With that picture it shows you're at 3.6Ghz.

The 3.7Ghz is for one core. Which core that will be is depending on what core needs it. So if you leave Hwmonitor open long enough then yes all will show 3.7Ghz.

However open it for too long and it will show bugs. Apparently my fixed 4.9Ghz cpu spikes to 5.4Ghz when it wants to.

Okay, that makes sense... guess I was worrying about nothing at all.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

And speed may not go bellow the base clock on idle because you may have some power "saving" features turned off, or Windows is set for maximum performance. It doesn't really matter.

3 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

The speed going down,

That can be from anything. Windows, bios, specific power saving chip (if your motherboard has one), a program running. I once has it and that's because the lowest value for the CPU allowed was 20% under power management in Windows. Setting it to 0% fixed it.

I modified the Ryzen power plan to match what @0x1e said and I was able to lower the system all the way down to 2 GHz, maybe even lower since a chrome tab is open lol...

Guess that solves it. I'm marking this one as solved. now. Thanks!

Screenshot (44).png

This problem has been bugging me for about some time now. My Ryzen 5 1500X does not go up or down the base frequency speed. On paper, the box is supposed to go up to 3.7 GHz as its boosted frequency, but whatever task I throw at it, whether be it an idle or a heavy load, It never gets out of the 3.4-3.5 GHz range, which is weird since if my computer knowledge still serves me, If the system is on idle, the frequency should be lower than the base, since its pretty much not doing anything.

Here's what I tried already:

Cleared CMOS

tried to push the system to its max by having Handbrake, Adobe Premiere Pro and GTA V on. System never got out of 3.5 GHz.

AIDA64 for 5 minutes. Never got out of 3.5 GHz. (shown in attached screenshot)

Have the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan thingymajig. No dice.

All drivers on latest version, same as BIOS.

Here's what I haven't tried:

reformatting the system

another weird thing is that on HWMonitor, it is saying that at some point, my system has reached 3.8GHz, but I have never seen it go that speed at any given time I'm watching the HWMonitor window while stressing the system.

anybody got any ideas on why is this happening and how am I gonna fix this?

edit: I think this bit of info in the AIDA64 program might help. My Max Multipler is only at 35 (also attached screenshot now)

Screenshot (42).png

Screenshot (43).png

The 3.7GHz boost clock is just for one core. If more than 1 core is loaded you won't get 3.7GHz unless you manually OC the CPU.

The base clock is for all cores.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

The 3.7GHz boost clock is just for one core. If more than 1 core is loaded you won't get 3.7GHz unless you manually OC the CPU.

The base clock is for all cores.

If that's the case, how come all for cores has reported the boost freq. recorded as Max on HWMonitor?

and how about the speeds not going below the base freq?

Just now, AmateurPCGuy said:

If that's the case, how come all for cores has reported the boost freq. recorded as Max on HWMonitor?

Because any core can boost to 3.7GHz-3.8GHz, it is not locked to one specific core. The requirement is just that only one core has to do the work, which one it is doesn't matter.

And speed may not go bellow the base clock on idle because you may have some power "saving" features turned off, or Windows is set for maximum performance. It doesn't really matter.

3 minutes ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

The 3.7Ghz is for one core. Which core that will be is depending on what core needs it. So if you leave Hwmonitor open long enough then yes all will show 3.7Ghz.

However open it for too long and it will show bugs. Apparently my fixed 4.9Ghz cpu spikes to 5.4Ghz when it wants to.

The speed going down,

That can be from anything. Windows, bios, specific power saving chip (if your motherboard has one), a program running. I once has it and that's because the lowest value for the CPU allowed was 20% under power management in Windows. Setting it to 0% fixed it.

It's not a race to the bottom.

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

2 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

Okay, that makes sense... guess I was worrying about nothing at all.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

3 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

The speed going down,

I modified the Ryzen power plan to match what @0x1e said and I was able to lower the system all the way down to 2 GHz, maybe even lower since a chrome tab is open lol...

Guess that solves it. I'm marking this one as solved. now. Thanks!

Screenshot (44).png