Would Like Opinions On My System Upgrade (Almost Full Rebuild) 3930K + GTX780 - Upgrading In The Next 1-2 Days

nphxboxlive

Hey guys, Just want some opinions on my computer upgrade plans, Well.. - I say upgrade but its pretty much a full rebuild. But want some other opinions on what you would change about it if anything.
Sorry but this is a bit of a big post - I didn't realise how much I'd wrote till I looked over it again lol. :D

Its going to be used for rendering & editing videos, Live streaming to twitch on my crappy connection so needs lots of CPU power to compress video the best I can & I also will be doing a lot of PC Gaming on it. I'm a pretty heavy computer user and my computer spends most of its life turned on either rendering or gaming.
I have 2x 24" LG L246WH Monitors (1920x1200 Each) Running On DVI to HDMI cables on my pc at the moment and ill be using them on the new pc.
I'm also moving my existing DVD Drive, SSD & HDD's over so I don't have to buy new ones. (256GB OCZ Octane SSD & 2x 3TB Seagate HDD & 1x 1TB Hitachi HDD)

The aim I have is a really good performance rig - but as cool running, low power draw & quiet as I can get it, And upgradable in the future spending about the £1300 the build comes to on the below parts list.
I intend on switching the corsair fans on the H100i with noctua fans, And also using noctua fans on the case.
I dont need a OS, I already have windows 7 ultimate 64-bit here for when the PC is done.

My current PC parts are being sold on to a friend and the money is going towards this rebuild, My CURRENT rig is:
Core i7 930 @ 2.80Ghz,
Gigabyte X58-USB3,
12GB (3x 4GB) Memory
MSI GTX560TI Twin Frozr II 1GB,
Corsair TX750W, (Would re-use this but its on its way out, Strange glitches and stuff)
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Case,
Intel Extreme Heatsink / Fan,

I have put together this list of parts for the upgrade on PC Part Picker, I'm located in the UK :P
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£347.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£87.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard (£144.29 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£93.55 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£383.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£85.00 @ Aria PC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£16.74 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£16.74 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan (£18.76 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.70 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1322.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-26 18:10 GMT+0000)

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to fit everything in :)
If I have missed anything out let me know what you need to know and I'll reply ASAP.
Thanks for reading,
-Nathan.

Known As BlackOpsKillerCams / nphxboxlive - I Make Random Gaming YouTube Videos & LiveStream To My Twitch Channel For Fun.

I'm Not A "Xbox Fanboy", Just Couldn't Think Of A Gamertag When I Made This One Up (It's My Initials + XBL) :P PC Gaming FTW :D

Since you are getting all new fans go ahead and buy the Arc Midi. The define is for quiet computing and the arc midi is for cooling and since you are upgrading fans the Arc just makes sense. Also the 3930k is somewhat outdated now, you would get a much better value buying a Z87. If you must go X79 buy a 4930k instead since it is much more power efficient.

Alternatively you can buy a 4770k and a decent gigabyte board and use that saved money to buy a 780ti.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Since you are getting all new fans go ahead and buy the Arc Midi. The define is for quiet computing and the arc midi is for cooling and since you are upgrading fans the Arc just makes sense.

yup, with those fans it'll be pretty quiet anyways, so go for airflow and go R2 (plus i think it looks better)

Since you are getting all new fans go ahead and buy the Arc Midi. The define is for quiet computing and the arc midi is for cooling and since you are upgrading fans the Arc just makes sense. Also the 3930k is somewhat outdated now, you would get a much better value buying a Z87. If you must go X79 buy a 4930k instead since it is much more power efficient.

Alternatively you can buy a 4770k and a decent gigabyte board and use that saved money to buy a 780ti.

yup, with those fans it'll be pretty quiet anyways, so go for airflow and go R2 (plus i think it looks better)

I was thinking of getting a 4930k but from what I have read the motherboard would need the BIOS updating to support it, That would mean I'd have to install a older CPU to update the BIOS first and I don't really want to buy two CPUs. I was thinking of going for the 3930k and when I get the system built I will update the boards BIOS so its ready to support a 4930k if I was to upgrade, Plus its also about £70 more expensive than the 3930k at the moment.

The 4770k was also something I was looking at but since I want to be able to stream with the highest encoding possible (bad internet upload speeds), Record and game on the computer at the same time the six core CPU is going to help that out more.

Thanks for the case suggestion, I'll take a look at it. :)

Known As BlackOpsKillerCams / nphxboxlive - I Make Random Gaming YouTube Videos & LiveStream To My Twitch Channel For Fun.

I'm Not A "Xbox Fanboy", Just Couldn't Think Of A Gamertag When I Made This One Up (It's My Initials + XBL) :P PC Gaming FTW :D

The 4770k was also something I was looking at but since I want to be able to stream with the highest encoding possible (bad internet upload speeds), Record and game on the computer at the same time the six core CPU is going to help that out more.

Thanks for the case suggestion, I'll take a look at it. :)

I think the 4770k would be adequate for streaming but it you are set on the i7 extreme go for an ivy bridge extreme with a new motherboard(I might be wrong but I thought the new x79 boards support the 4930k without bios updates).

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I think the 4770k would be adequate for streaming but it you are set on the i7 extreme go for an ivy bridge extreme with a new motherboard(I might be wrong but I thought the new x79 boards support the 4930k without bios updates).

I had been doing some research when I put the list together and did a google search about using the board I chose and the 4930K together and there were quite a few websites and forum posrts I came across with people saying that they had purchased the 4930K and the GA-X79-UD3 for there system then it wouldn't work because it needed the BIOS updating, Thats the only real reason I didn't go with the 4930K because I don't want the parts to turn up, Me put it all together then it not work because the BIOS hasnt been updated and have to go buy another CPU just to do that.  I think I am probably best going with a 6 core since the machine will do alot of video rendering so more cpu power can only help speed things up plus with the load the stream will be putting on it, But I'm going to look arround and see if I can find anywhere how much CPU use streaming 720P with the highest encoding settings uses on a 4770K and 3930K then I can try and work out just how much its gonna help.

the 4xxx version has e.g. more stabil / better memory control... and other details too

here in Germany the price between the 4390k and the 3930K differs only ~2 Euros, so I am surprised to read about the difference in your country

Why not taking a look at the newer boards? I am also rendering... (no games) incl AVCHD files

I'll buy/bought

Asus X79-Deluxe with the 4390K, GTX 780, inexpensive low profile RAMs and air-cooling...., and 4 different storage 'lanes'/branches... (OS, scratch, storage,...) for Adobe MC CS6 In that combination even the PCIe 3.0 seems to finally work with the GPU (see google: problems  GTX   PCIe 3.0   i7-39xx)

the 4xxx version has e.g. more stabil / better memory control... and other details too

here in Germany the price between the 4390k and the 3930K differs only ~2 Euros, so I am surprised to read about the difference in your country

Why not taking a look at the newer boards? I am also rendering... (no games) incl AVCHD files

I'll buy/bought

Asus X79-Deluxe with the 4390K, GTX 780, inexpensive low profile RAMs and air-cooling...., and 4 different storage 'lanes'/branches... (OS, scratch, storage,...) for Adobe MC CS6 In that combination even the PCIe 3.0 seems to finally work with the GPU (see google: problems  GTX   PCIe 3.0   i7-39xx)

The prices in the UK are:

3930K - £347.99 (415.52 Euros)

4930K - £419.99 (501.49 Euro)

The 4930K has come down in price £30 over night when I have just looked this morning.

The Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 motherboard I picked was because its cheap and has pretty much all the things I will need, The asus board you recomended is £130 more and has lots of other features but I will probably not use most of the features on it, So I don't really feel that its worth that much more money.

I did also see this Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 motherboard today though thats only £35 more that has some more upgrade potential over the original motherboard I chose (8 memory slots instead of 4, Support for more memory for example) and I am concidering getting the X79-UP4 now instead of the X79-UD3 since its only £35 more.

:o  I am wondering why the price is as much apart as it is...

The price for the 3930K is considerable higher in my country, here a link for the price history (Geizhals is the Austrian/German version of your skinflint.co.uk)

http://geizhals.de/?phist=691075

and the one for Europe incl UK

http://geizhals.de/eu/?phist=691075

Yep, the new Deluxe ain't cheep, but I'll need all the SATA III and SATA II it offers. If I would take a board with less SATA III I'd had to buy a RAID card or something like that => way more expensive (but then even a bit faster as my system will be, but more work afterwards too)

I was thinking of getting a 4930k but from what I have read the motherboard would need the BIOS updating to support it, That would mean I'd have to install a older CPU to update the BIOS first and I don't really want to buy two CPUs. I was thinking of going for the 3930k and when I get the system built I will update the boards BIOS so its ready to support a 4930k if I was to upgrade, Plus its also about £70 more expensive than the 3930k at the moment.

I only gave the hint as my impression - after reading this - was your main reason to avoid the 4xxx CPU is the BIOS detail ;)

Best of luck and lots of fun with your new system