Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Still running a (stock) i7 960 in 2017... upgrade?

Pretty much as title says; I'm currently running a weird frankenstein machine as listed below;

-i960 processor @ 3.2GHz (stock)

-ASUS 96X58D-E motherboard

-8 GB DDR-3 RAM

-EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 3.0

I'm currently playing most titles in 4k just fine- around 40-50 FPS. I'm curious if I'll really notice any major improvement on performance by upgrading to a modern i7 such as the 7700k, or potentially even a RYZEN platform. I like the idea of many core builds, even though I realize for gaming it's essentially pointless at the moment.

I appreciate your guys' insight on this... haven't been able to nail down any comparisons with anything close to a solid gaming benchmark. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Souldread said:

Pretty much as title says; I'm currently running a weird frankenstein machine as listed below;

-8 GB DDR-3 RAM

-EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 3.0

I'm currently playing most titles in 4k just fine- around 40-50 FPS. I'm curious if I'll really notice any major improvement on performance by upgrading to a modern i7 such as the 7700k, or potentially even a RYZEN platform. I like the idea of many core builds, even though I realize for gaming it's essentially pointless at the moment.

I appreciate your guys' insight on this... haven't been able to nail down any comparisons with anything close to a solid gaming benchmark. Thanks!

an upgrade to a current gen 8 thread processor should give you an extra 30-40 fps in quite a few games

edit: a 4770 produced a yeild of 20+ fps more than your cpu in all games on average

You could oc the cpu to 4ghz+ and get a decent upgrade for free

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

5 minutes ago, Souldread said:

Snip

If you're doing 4k gaming, your current CPU is actually more performance than you will be able to utilize. If you're interested in getting better gaming performance at 4k, get a better GPU than a 1070.

The only reason you should consider a stronger CPU would be if you were interested in high refresh rate gaming (likely at 1080p), where the CPU has considerably more work to do... but at 4k every GPU on the market, even the venerable 1080ti, will not be strong enough in order to get the framerates high enough to stress your CPU in any meaningful way (I say this on the assumption you are also pushing your graphical settings to a reasonably high amount, and are using a 60hz 4k monitor).

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

not at 4k with a gtx 1070 he won't

look at all the online benchmarks available and you will see. 

edit; and if not increase in performance, fewer frame drops. this is noticeable in balanced games like GTA 

12 minutes ago, Souldread said:

-8 GB DDR-3 RAM

-EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 3.0

Honestly at 4k the i7 you currently have is enough. Just overclock your i7 960 to 4ghz (should be relatively easy) and you should be ok. At 4k the graphics card gets pushed very hard and how powerful your cpu is becomes less of a factor.

@Jumper118

You could oc the cpu to 4ghz+ and get a decent upgrade for free

As far as the overclocking side of things... the previous owner of the motherboard seemed to damage it trying to hotrod his overclock... thing can't hold any overclock now without crashing. EDIT: Also fried two of the RAM sockets... lol

As far as the "monitor", I'm actually gaming on a 60 hz 65" 4k TV at the moment. Makes gaming awesome, but UI can be impossibly small in some games lacking scaling...

4 minutes ago, Luke D said:

edit; and if not increase in performance, fewer frame drops. this is noticeable in balanced games like GTA 

I'm not saying that a newer CPU is not a more powerful CPU.... I'm saying you don't understand how 4k gaming relates to the load on a CPU. From his current CPU to an overclocked 7700k at 5.5GHz (even if he could get such a high clock out of a 7700k) would not yield any change in framerates (maybe a very slight increase to his minimums, not not to averages or maxes) because of how badly his current GTX 1070 is holding him back at his chosen 4k resolution. If he wishes to continue playing at 4k, and wishes to get a performance improvement, he should invest in a stronger GPU, not a stronger CPU

But no matter how you look at it, if he wants better 4k gaming performance, he should absolutely be looking at upgrading his graphics solution, as his CPU is already plenty good for that task. He would need to lower his resolution, or have ABOVE a 1080ti's worth of power before he should really be looking at upgrading his CPU for 4k gaming (although that could change a bit depending on the title(s) in question).

Thank you for the input everyone... likely will be holding on to my ancient CPU for a little while longer. As far as the GPU upgrade... we'll see. I have difficulty justifying a $900 GPU upgrade when I know it'll realistically be pointless next year when the next round of GPUs hits shelves...

4 hours ago, Souldread said:

Thank you for the input everyone... likely will be holding on to my ancient CPU for a little while longer. As far as the GPU upgrade... we'll see. I have difficulty justifying a $900 GPU upgrade when I know it'll realistically be pointless next year when the next round of GPUs hits shelves...

Like others have said, i would at least overclock to 4.0ghz, my i7 950 achieved that with no effort. Also 8gb of memory seems weird for x58. Shouldn't you be running triple channel.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

4 hours ago, Luke D said:

"All the online benchmarks" are fine with 1080 / 1080ti and at 1080p.

When they do test 4K ah highest details, the outcome usually is that a 7700K, an FX, and a potato are all within a few frames from each other because the GPU is screaming for mercy. 

That's is a good reason why games tests are done the way they are done, but this type misconceptions / generalizations in terms of FPS differences are one of the downsides of the prevalence of "academic testing" on detriment of "realistic scenario testing".

I can promise you: no CPU will make a 30-40 FPS difference on a 60Hz monitor, unless we are talking like 10 generations appart :P

OP said he's getting 40-50, so 10-20 FPS is the very maximum improvement any CPU could give him even theoretically... Except his 1070 won't do 4K at 60FPS regardless, certainly not at high details.  

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I can promise you: no CPU will make a 30-40 FPS difference on a 60Hz monitor, unless we are talking like 10 generations appart :P

I don't know about 30fps, but he does have a pre-Sandy Bridge CPU.  It wasn't until Sandy Bridge that the difference between generations got so small.

If you do an upgrade, I'd suggest Ryzen.  Ideally a 1700, but a 1600 would work well with your GTX 1070 too.  Multi-core builds definitely aren't pointless.  Nothing would run well on a single core CPU now, and they struggle on dual core ones.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

If you're gaming at 4K, your CPU isn't really going to make a huge difference, so I would probably upgrade your GPU first...that might sound a little weird...but like @Zyndo said, it's more power than you can really utilize. 

But if you're playing, I dunno, MineCraft or Total War at 4K, yeah, you might want an upgrade. Right now, your best options are Ryzen, the 7700K, and maybe X99 if you can find some good deals. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I don't know about 30fps, but he does have a pre-Sandy Bridge CPU.  It wasn't until Sandy Bridge that the difference between generations got so small.

But that is the point: for a 30-40 FPS difference, the slowest CPU should be giving him 20 FPS. That's half his current frame rate, and he's likely GPU-bound. 

Core 2 would probably still not be slow enough. 

(I would also say "it wasn't until Sandy Bridge that we got such a big one-time jump", and that was more compared to Core 2 than to the first Core i). 

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

But that is the point: for a 30-40 FPS difference, the slowest CPU should be giving him 20 FPS. That's half his current frame rate, and he's likely GPU-bound. 

Core 2 would probably still not be slow enough. 

(I would also say "it wasn't until Sandy Bridge that we got such a big one-time jump", and that was more compared to Core 2 than to the first Core i). 

I wasn't saying he'd see that big of a jump in frame rate.  I was just saying that there is a bigger difference between Nehalem and Sandy Bridge than there is between Sandy Bridge and Haswell.  There isn't much difference between generations now, but that wasn't always the case.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I wasn't saying he'd see that big of a jump in frame rate.  I was just saying that there is a bigger difference between Nehalem and Sandy Bridge than there is between Sandy Bridge and Haswell.  There isn't much difference between generations now, but that wasn't always the case.

None of that matters. Unless he is going to be buying 1080 SLI or 1080ti SLI, his current CPU is as good as it needs to be since any GPU on the market can't fuel more frames than the CPU can handle for 4k (assuming ultra settings)... and if he could afford two 1080's or 1080ti's we wouldn't be having the discussion of "is it worth a cpu upgrade" because this guy would have pockets so deep he wouldn't even think to ask it lol.

13 hours ago, Zyndo said:

None of that matters. Unless he is going to be buying 1080 SLI or 1080ti SLI, his current CPU is as good as it needs to be since any GPU on the market can't fuel more frames than the CPU can handle for 4k (assuming ultra settings)... and if he could afford two 1080's or 1080ti's we wouldn't be having the discussion of "is it worth a cpu upgrade" because this guy would have pockets so deep he wouldn't even think to ask it lol.

Fair enough, I just wanted to make a point.

23 hours ago, Souldread said:

-8 GB DDR-3 RAM

-EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 3.0

Multiple COres are not pointless today. Many games like GTAV, BF1, PUBG, and others utilize more than 8 threads. For relatively little cash you could drop a Xeon X5680 or X5690 in your existing board for 6 cores, 12 threads, and OC to 4+Ghz.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Gigabyte RX 5700,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Sapphire Pulse RX 570, Corsair CX430