What is the best TV for usnder £1000/$1500

oliverthegeekuk

I need a tv for around £1000, it needs to have,

A scree greater than 50 inchs (preferably 60")

4 or more HDMI inputs-for HTPC and Bluray player as well as Digi Box and Xbox

A VGA input- for connecting to server

It ialso needs to led and wall mount compatible and if you suggest a wall mount that would be awesome.

Thanks.

Dude not to be rude but.. I happened to check out some sites for monitors, coming across tv's 55"+ and they're kinda not in your budget however they aren't super large resolution panels quite yet.

You'll probably find something under 50" but why not just buy a 30" monitor that is has a high resolution, great viewing angles like PLS/IPS/VA but having a wide range of digital and analog display inputs

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I just recently purchased the Panasonic tcp55 s60 and it is great for gaming. Low input lag and great contrast for $999 cad. Only downside is screen washout in very bright conditions. Playing ac4 for pc looks amazing on this panel.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't go for those screens that say 600 Hz. Those are bullshit. No gloss nor plasma. Don't pay extra for any smart tvs.

Look at Sony's range of products. There will be something in that range that suits your price and is good for your needs.

Compatible with Windows 95

Don't go for those screens that say 600 Hz. Those are bullshit. No gloss nor plasma. Don't pay extra for any smart tvs.

Unfortunately you're a little misinformed about HDTV technology. Plasma TV's don't work in the same way that LCD TV's do, thus, they don't have a traditional "refresh rate". the 600 Hz refers to the subfield drive, which is the part that charges (excites) the plasma cells inside the TV. They flicker at insanely high rates (600 times per second), hence why they are generally advertised as with a 600 Hz refresh rate. While it's not technically true, it's also much easier than trying to explain to a consumer what it means.

Also, Plasma TV's are fucking awesome. Hands down. I'd never buy a LCD (CCFL or LED) over a Plasma TV unless it was specifically to be used as a computer monitor, or you had a room that had direct sunlight with no curtains or other means of light control. Plasma TV's in my opinion (Esp. if you get a good one like a Panasonic VT or ST series or LG PA6500 series) just look much better to me. Plus they handle motion playback much better on average.

I own an LG 50PA6500 50" Plasma that is quite simply awesome looking, And a Panasonic VT60 would blow mine away.

I will agree that Smart TV's are generally not warranted. Especially in this case, as the OP is using an HTPC anyway, thus negating any benefit a Smart TV could provide.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

VIZIO - M-Series - 50" Class

Copy paste made my font huge. Im to lazy to fix it. But hey, Im not to lazy to type about it :P....

Anyway. You're not going to find a better deal with this feature set on a TV. Even if it was black friday.... I own it and its beautiful. Does not have a vga-dsub15 though, which I think you should move away from anyway. They also have a 55" and 60" version. Im very impressed with the 3d. But it was the 240hz that I truly wanted. Which doesnt really work for games, unless you want slight input lag. But for 3d and movies, its so butter smooth.

But deal wise without being on sale? nothing beats it, hell even tvs on sale dont compare. I hawked Tv's for a solid 3months up to black friday. But Im American. Your prices may differ. Best Buy sells it.

• 2 weeks later...

what did you get? for picture quality go with sony/panasonic/vizio.thats for lcd led

but nothing can`t beat a panasonic plasma.

I have installed 1000's of televisions. It really depends on the environment it is being used in and the country your purchasing it from. Panasonic bought the R&D from pioneer elite a couple years ago which was the king of TV's along with Fujitsu and Runco for several years. They were involved in a joint venture when designing the onyx series several years ago when separates where popular. There current lines have tech from the elite/kumo series which were years ahead of the competition at the time and in my opinion a 6 year old elite plasma still beats out most current tv's I look at.  If you are in North America and do not have a lot of light sources ie skylights/windows or watch movies mostly in the evening I would go with a Panasonic Plasma. Get an extended warranty no matter which you chose failure rates on TV's is rather high in my experience. Also leave room in your budget for a power conditioner. I would recommend going smaller to be able to afford these other items or buying a power conditioner in the preowned market. High Joule ratings is what you want when selecting a power conditioner/surge suppressor. Triplite makes a great product as well as furman/panamax/monster. I had to replace a board in my Panasonic due to a ground failure and had I not had the warranty I'd be shelling out about the cost of another TV. I could have repaired it myself for about the same price as the warranty but it is very hard to obtain tv parts without being a certified repair outfit. If you have alot of light and watch alot of daytime tv then LCD may be the way to go. You really want to head to a store and view some for yourself and ask the salesman for the remote play with the settings. Store floor TV's usually have jacked up settings to combat the industrial lighting. As far as LCD im not sure they are a little more complicated. I could tell you go with high hertz but ive seen 60 hertz tv's wreck 240's. LCD's are generally more expensive when comparing at 42"+ sets vs plasma. A $1000USD 50" Panasonic Plasma is going to wreck an LCD at the same price point. But like I mentioned earlier environment is very important when choosing. My panel is a XT50 or a UT50. Go UT/XT/S series grab a calibration kit disc off the web make sure it comes with with color filters/swatches and spend an hour dialing it in. I can get a crappy TV looking mighty nice compared to a nicer one with stock settings with proper calibration. You can get these dvd's for like 12-20 bucks on amazon, NICX :) or ebay etc. As of right now Panasonic makes a very competitive LCD TV as well which was not the case several years ago. They get great reviews. Sony/Sharp LCD is really good as well. For the USA Visio has really improved its quality as well. For amazing LCD quality your shelling out big bucks compared to plasma but lcd has the edge as far as environment compatibility. GET THE LONGEST WARRANTY DO NOT SKIP THIS :)