Good Monitor for <$200

NerdNinja
Go to solution Solved by smjpl,

I would like to buy a monitor that is good for casual gaming and general use and that is, like the title implies, less than 200 USD.

Really my only preferences are 24" and not to think as I don't have too much desk space.

If you comment please tell me why you reccomend it because I judge my choices mainly on other peoples experience. 

I am assuming you want good colours (picture to look really nice) over getting the absolute lowest input lag for playing fps games.

Look for anything that is an "IPS" panel type (not all spec sheets will say the panel type but if you google the model number with the words "panel type" you will find it). "PLS" panel type is also fine (Samsungs version of IPS). "VA" panel types are ok but if you want good colours, don't buy a "TN" panel type monitor. TN monitors (i.e. cheap monitors) are good for low input lag and response time but really do lack in colour accuracy.

All other specs are pretty much useless. Dynamic contrast means sweet f*uck all so please don't base your buying decision on it. Contrast ratio is almost always 1000:1 and that is what you want. Input methods are going to be hdmi, dvi and maybe displayport (displayport is best :P , dvi is perfect and hdmi is acceptable but good if want to carry sound to your monitor speakers).  You are going to be looking at 1920x1080 resolution,16:9 aspect ratio (screen width to height width ratio) for your price range. You possibly might be able to get a 1920x1200, 16:10 monitor but chances are slim (budget). They can be good for games but don't really make too much of a difference anyway. Its more down to personal preference.

Other than the above you are going to be basing your decision on the features that the monitor has like, usb ports, speakers and fully adjustable stand. The adjustable stand can be handy (pluging in cables is about it tbh) but really isn't a necessity for 90% of people and you'd know if you were one of the 10%. If you are fine for the cash, get it but don't go hungry because of it ;). Although a sturdy stand is very desirable regardless of how adjustable it is. 

Check out what is on budget with these specs for some of the better brands. Look at Dell, LG, Samsung, BenQ, Asus and Iiymia.  There are others that are really good but I haven't had much experience with them so I can't vouch for them. And lastly check out the reviews for that specific monitor. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ is probably the best site for monitor reviews but they don't review every monitor. The good thing about reviews is they will generally tell you if there is a better monitor with similar price and specs if there is one.

I would advise doing this yourself. You know the whole, "give a man a fish..." saying? You will come out with a better buy in the end as only you kno0w exactly what you want and how much you are willing to pay. I am not saying you shouldn't take peoples advice as they might know of some really good deal but do a little bit of homework yourself as well.

Happy hunting :)

I would like to buy a monitor that is good for casual gaming and general use and that is, like the title implies, less than 200 USD.

Really my only preferences are 24" and not to think as I don't have too much desk space.

If you comment please tell me why you reccomend it because I judge my choices mainly on other peoples experience. 

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

I am assuming you want good colours (picture to look really nice) over getting the absolute lowest input lag for playing fps games.

Look for anything that is an "IPS" panel type (not all spec sheets will say the panel type but if you google the model number with the words "panel type" you will find it). "PLS" panel type is also fine (Samsungs version of IPS). "VA" panel types are ok but if you want good colours, don't buy a "TN" panel type monitor. TN monitors (i.e. cheap monitors) are good for low input lag and response time but really do lack in colour accuracy.

All other specs are pretty much useless. Dynamic contrast means sweet f*uck all so please don't base your buying decision on it. Contrast ratio is almost always 1000:1 and that is what you want. Input methods are going to be hdmi, dvi and maybe displayport (displayport is best :P , dvi is perfect and hdmi is acceptable but good if want to carry sound to your monitor speakers).  You are going to be looking at 1920x1080 resolution,16:9 aspect ratio (screen width to height width ratio) for your price range. You possibly might be able to get a 1920x1200, 16:10 monitor but chances are slim (budget). They can be good for games but don't really make too much of a difference anyway. Its more down to personal preference.

Other than the above you are going to be basing your decision on the features that the monitor has like, usb ports, speakers and fully adjustable stand. The adjustable stand can be handy (pluging in cables is about it tbh) but really isn't a necessity for 90% of people and you'd know if you were one of the 10%. If you are fine for the cash, get it but don't go hungry because of it ;). Although a sturdy stand is very desirable regardless of how adjustable it is. 

Check out what is on budget with these specs for some of the better brands. Look at Dell, LG, Samsung, BenQ, Asus and Iiymia.  There are others that are really good but I haven't had much experience with them so I can't vouch for them. And lastly check out the reviews for that specific monitor. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ is probably the best site for monitor reviews but they don't review every monitor. The good thing about reviews is they will generally tell you if there is a better monitor with similar price and specs if there is one.

I would advise doing this yourself. You know the whole, "give a man a fish..." saying? You will come out with a better buy in the end as only you kno0w exactly what you want and how much you are willing to pay. I am not saying you shouldn't take peoples advice as they might know of some really good deal but do a little bit of homework yourself as well.

Happy hunting :)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

If you want really good colours I would get one with an IPS panel. Spend the extra 30-50 bucks and I think you will be better off. It depends on yourself though. The washed colours of TN panel really annoy me. I regretted getting the monitor I did and I ended up only keeping it for a month or two.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

If you want really good colours I would get one with an IPS panel. Spend the extra 30-50 bucks and I think you will be better off. It depends on yourself though. The washed colours of TN panel really annoy me. I regretted getting the monitor I did and I ended up only keeping it for a month or two.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/410038/24EN33TW_24_Slim_LED_Monitor

what about this one?

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Its still a TN monitor. That doesn't mean the colours are terrible but it isn't going to be up to the likes of of an Dell Ultrasharp. From looking at that site, there isn't a lot of good deals. They have loads of cheap stuff but it is all crap. The good stuff seems to be in the expensive side. Have a look at newegg or amazon. You might find better deals on them. I am in the EU so I am not too sure what the good sites in the US are.

I did find this on newegg and has a lot of features that you might not need but its a 23" (still pretty big though).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055

See if there are any others other that have less features but a 24" screen.

Its still a TN monitor. That doesn't mean the colours are terrible but it isn't going to be up to the likes of of an Dell Ultrasharp. From looking at that site, there isn't a lot of good deals. They have loads of cheap stuff but it is all crap. The good stuff seems to be in the expensive side. Have a look at newegg or amazon. You might find better deals on them. I am in the EU so I am not too sure what the good sites in the US are.

I did find this on newegg and has a lot of features that you might not need but its a 23" (still pretty big though).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055

See if there are any others other that have less features but a 24" screen.

right now i have a 21.5 moniter do you think that a 23 inch screen would be a good upgrade, that the reason i picked out the dell  that i linked

right now i have a 21.5 moniter do you think that a 23 inch screen would be a good upgrade, that the reason i picked out the dell  that i linked

To be honest, the size of the monitor doesn't make that much of a difference. If they are both 1080p, then you are going to have the same screen space no matter what size you choose. The thing is, once you use a monitor for a while, you don't really notice the size of the screen. Every screen size looks the same after while. Its not until you change your screen does it look any different. But then you use the new screen size starts to look the same as well (do you get what I mean?). My point is, I wouldn't upgrade my screen based upon screen size alone. I would only upgrade if my monitor was annoying me. And it always was annoying me. I could get the greens and blues really nice but the reds would look shit and vice versa. I might be a bit OCD about these things though. Again it depends on the person.

That is probably the best way to decide if you need a new monitor. The "does my monitor make me angry" test. If yes, get a new monitor and make sure its an IPS panel (because it will keep annoying you). If no then don't bother... unless you really really want one. ;)

I can't stress the IPS bit enough though (especially if you said yes to the "does my monitor make me angry" test). The videos they play on the screen always have nice blues and greens in them. That is the thing that fools you into thinking "hey this looks really nice". Wait till you see some reds on it and you think "oh jesus. I just wasted a shit load on this".

To be honest, the size of the monitor doesn't make that much of a difference. If they are both 1080p, then you are going to have the same screen space no matter what size you choose. The thing is, once you use a monitor for a while, you don't really notice the size of the screen. Every screen size looks the same after while. Its not until you change your screen does it look any different. But then you use the new screen size starts to look the same as well (do you get what I mean?). My point is, I wouldn't upgrade my screen based upon screen size alone. I would only upgrade if my monitor was annoying me. And it always was annoying me. I could get the greens and blues really nice but the reds would look shit and vice versa. I might be a bit OCD about these things though. Again it depends on the person.

That is probably the best way to decide if you need a new monitor. The "does my monitor make me angry" test. If yes, get a new monitor and make sure its an IPS panel (because it will keep annoying you). If no then don't bother... unless you really really want one. ;)

I can't stress the IPS bit enough though (especially if you said yes to the "does my monitor make me angry" test). The videos they play on the screen always have nice blues and greens in them. That is the thing that fools you into thinking "hey this looks really nice". Wait till you see some reds on it and you think "oh jesus. I just wasted a shit load on this".

I havent ever seen that, maybe the one you saw was specifically horse crap. 

I havent ever seen that, maybe the one you saw was specifically horse crap. 

Which bit? Blues and greens?

Which bit? Blues and greens?

Reds. Most people have a good opinion of IPS (i prefer PLS myself but that is unrelated) but IPS panels usually have color reproduction overall.

Reds. Most people have a good opinion of IPS (i prefer PLS myself but that is unrelated) but IPS panels usually have color reproduction overall.

Oh no. What I meant is that I upgraded my monitor but I didn't get an IPS monitor when I upgraded and I really regretted it. It was an Asus VW246H (it seemed good) but it still completely disappointed me. After that I ended up getting an Asus PB278Q PLS 1440p <drooling ^_^> but stupidly expensive. Those macs can't have all the good screens though. lol

Oh no. What I meant is that I upgraded my monitor but I didn't get an IPS monitor when I upgraded and I really regretted it. It was an Asus VW246H (it seemed good) but it still completely disappointed me. After that I ended up getting an Asus PB278Q PLS 1440p <drooling ^_^> but stupidly expensive. Those macs can't have all the good screens though. lol

OH! Sorry I misread! It looked like you were insulting IPS my bad!